Is it not a requirement to be able to read English

raceman

Veteran Expediter
One day this past week I had to stop in a clinic to get my recert of DOT physical. I love doing that. I only wish it could be more often. In any case, while I was waiting for my turn, I could not help but notice something odd. Four Mexican drivers that could not read the form and required someone to do this for them and tell them were to write what info.

Now this is not meant to carry on about folks coming into our Country but a simple question. Is it not a requirement that you can read English? If not how in the world can they navigate this Country from a truck? Interested in reading any info.

Also just to let you all know I am heading to Kansas City on Sunday. I will be out there running west on 70 and I will be in my Freightliner. I am running some Folgers out there and then back hauling same. If you see me out there give a yell or at least that special one finger wave. :)

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy
3 years without full use of my mind

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
RE: Is it not a requirement to be able to read Eng

No it is not a requiurement that you know how to read or speak english anymore,that would be discrimination.And we can't have that can we?????
We are now a very diverse society.Catering to the minoritys needs and wants.It won"t be long and you will have to pass your CDL test in any language that the minority deems fit.HAVE A NICE DAY THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

raceman

Veteran Expediter

I understand your note. I dont understand how folks are navigating when they can not read the signs etc. I don't see that as descrimination, I see it as a necessity.

As a business owner I don't see that it is the best idea in the world to put folks out there that may have a harder time finding the PU or Drop, being able to assure the paperwork is correct and matches load.

Just seems like a bad idea all the way around.

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter

RACEMAN: I DONT KNOW HOW THEY DO IT,WHEN I WENT TO RENEW MY LICENSE LAST DECEMBER I HAD A CHINAMAN IN FRONT OF ME WHO DID NOT KNOW HOW TO READ ENGLISH.HE HAD TO ASK ME IF HE WAS IN THE RIGHT LINE TO GET HIS DRIVERS LICENSE.AND HAD A INTERPERTER WITH HIM.I WAS WATCHING HIM TAKE HIS EYE TEST (WHICH IS IN ENGLISH)AND HE PASSED.SO UNLESS HE WAS COACHED ON WHAT LETTERS TO SAY,I DONT KNOW HOW HE DID IT.ALSO WHILE I WAS THERE THEY CAUGHT 2 ARABS GIVING ANSWERS TO ANOTHER ONE,WHO WAS TAKING THE WRITTERN TEST.HOW IN THE HELL DO THEY KNOW WHAT A STOP SIGN MEANS IF THEY CAN'T READ IT????????? YOU TELL ME THEN WE WILL BOTH KNOW.
WHITEWOLF53
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

raceman

Veteran Expediter

I hear you. It simply, flatout, no doubt, concerns me. Not just the driving issues but all that you kind of cover in your first reply. This is getting out of hand. Who knows where and when it will all end

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

I'd love to see what happens if thes foreigners get pulled in for a DOT check .

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter

I'll tell you exactly what would happen.The D.O.T. would kowtow to them,kissing their foreign A-- afraid that they would be hit with a lawsuit accusing them of discrimination.
Whitewolf53
}> }> }> }> }> }> }>

mikeyd47

Expert Expediter

If I remember right its still a requirment with both federal and state DOT agencies to be able to read,understand, and speak english

merkurfan

Expert Expediter

It is a requirement for a CDL driver. But most DMV's don't care, or don't know and thus do not inforce it. I wonder how they even get around with a truck not being able read signs, talk to the DOT officers, police, dock people, heck even the fuel stop. When I went to take my class b test the inspector got out of the truck he had just completed a test in (they failed, he could not tell the guy what to do) he looked at me standing next to my truck, smiled, we did a really fast pre-trip (show me the air brakes and how they work) and off we went. He was so happy to have someone that spoke english in the truck that he told me all about it while we did the test. He said he'll flunk anyone that can't understand him well enough to take the road test. He was about 70 years old. The state had been after him for years to learn spanish, he always told them "tell the people coming for the test to learn english"

Nice old guy.. To bad he won't be replaced with someone that thinks like he does.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management

Total Clarification of the ability to read and speak the English language is contained in 391.11(b)(2) below;

I agree that ALL drivers must be able to speak the English language.

391.11 General qualifications of drivers.

(a) A person shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she is qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle. Except as provided in 391.63 , a motor carrier shall not require or permit a person to drive a commercial motor vehicle unless that person is qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

(b) Except as provided in subpart G of this part, a person is qualified to drive a motor vehicle if he/she --

(b)(1) Is at least 21 years old;

(b)(2) Can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records;

(b)(3) Can, by reason of experience, training, or both, safely operate the type of commercial motor vehicle he/she drives;

(b)(4) Is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle in accordance with subpart E -- Physical Qualifications and Examinations of this part;

(b)(5) Has a currently valid commercial motor vehicle operator's license issued only by one State or jurisdiction;

(b)(6) Has prepared and furnished the motor carrier that employs him/her with the list of violations or the certificate as required by 391.27 ;

(b)(7) Is not disqualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle under the rules in 391.15 ; and

(b)(8) Has successfully completed a driver's road test and has been issued a certificate of driver's road test in accordance with 391.31 , or has presented an operator's license or a certificate of road test which the motor carrier that employs him/her has accepted as equivalent to a road test in accordance with 391.33 .

Hope this helps all of you.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Questions on Premium Transportation Logistics LLC?
Call me - 1-800-661-3166

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Well, that seems to clear it up. Now I just need to know how these three who were getting physicals got jobs. Any idea on that? Now that I know it is a must, I may just share the fact that they are doing it without the ability to read or speak English. Hmmmmmmm. I will have to think on that. Even though this angers me, not sure what to do with the info.

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

If one can't read the english language, I wonder what happens when they approach a sign that says......ROAD CLOSED
and they can't read it.
Davekc

Trucker don

Expert Expediter

Most highway signs are international symbols. IE Stop Sign in Louisanna is the same stop sign in Quebec, France or Germany.
However I have the same bone to pick. There's a traffic problem. You holler on the CB. Guess what there's someone running in the closed lane. 99 % time it's someone who isn't speaking english and is on another channel.
It's just has bad making a delivery or picking.

Don

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator

roadsigns for years have adopted a universal shape or symbol system for just this reason.

are drivers in quebec canada dangerous if they can't speak french? are they unable to drive from point to point?

people need to advance a better argument in favor of use of english first in this country, if they are to prevail.

raceman

Veteran Expediter

I think my arguement is, this is the United States and our language is English. If I go to another country and can not read the signs because I do not read that language and I have an accident of some sort as a result, I sure would not be upset if they find me guilty.

If someone lays out the fact that we are to all speak multiple languages and all signs, like product directions are then printed in a number of languages, I guess I will jump on board. Until that point if the Regs. state that drivers must be able to read English then I think companies doing the hiring of folks who can not do that should be challenged.

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

plumcrazy8

Expert Expediter

Hey Raceman. I wasn't going to reply to this post because it is so hard to discuss without the "correctness" junkies (otherwise known as the "Oh That's Not Nice" milk toasters) trying to make their arguments.

Those guys probably worked for a relative or a mexican-american trucking owner. Happens all the time. Pathetic. I've seen this at an accident scene and the officers are fit to be tied.

It's NOT right and it SHOULD be dealt with. Any DOT official granting a license to a non-english speaking person should be fired and held personally responsible for any accidents caused by the foreigner-speaking offender. Period.

They put MY family in jeopardy on the road every day and it upsets me to no end.

There were two east-indian looking fellas at my tses orientation, the first piece of paperwork took about, oh, say, 10 seconds for everyone else to fill out then it was break time. After the 15 minute break these guys were still trying to read the instructions. It said "print your name here" and "sign your name here".

Nope. Sorry. No room for "Politically Correct". Love it or Leave it. Or at least work behind the counter at the Mini-store, not behind the wheel of a large killing machine.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Therein lies the problem. The rules pertaining to a CDL specifically state one must read and write English. Not a host of other languages.
Quebec is a valid arguement with regards to signs, however commercial activity in that providence is very small and regional compared to the US. It is my opinion that one should read and understand the language in which they travel. Also with regards to Quebec, a large portion of people there speak English. The same can't be said for the US with regards to speaking French.
That same school of thought would apply to Mexico. The big difference there is, very few speak English. If US operators go to Mexico, they are expected to understand the language when operating a commercial vehicle there. There is no reason we shouldn't expect the same here.
Not saying it is right, but that is my personal opinion.
Davekc