Is 330,000 too many miles?

upsnate

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking to buy a 1995 international 4900 and use it to SLOWLY start up my own little freight buisiness and see if I like it or not. My question is....for $6000 do you think it is a good deal to buy a '96 with 330,000 miles on it? Cause we have straight trucks at ups with well over 600,000 miles on them and they run like a dream. And I do realize maintanance has alot to do with it. Just would like an honest opinion. tks

Jayman

Expert Expediter
From what I know...I would be more concerned with the age. (in this case) Most companies you will lease on with (FedEx, Panther, Express 1, etc) Will more than likely require a newer truck.

If you are truly going independent, 330,000 isnt bad if it has been taken care of.

upsnate

Seasoned Expediter
>From what I know...I would be more concerned with the age.
>(in this case) Most companies you will lease on with
>(FedEx, Panther, Express 1, etc) Will more than likely
>require a newer truck.
>
>If you are truly going independent, 330,000 isnt bad if it
>has been taken care of.

I have no intention of signing on with anybody...this will be an experiment/hobby to see if i can find a niche or a customer base. I have a great day job just need to try something a tad different and challenging.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Good luck. I do hope the best for you. There is always the opportunity to find something that may work for you. But, you may find that trucking is something you have to do full time or not at all. But, sliding into it may make it easier for some to make the jump.

Keep posting here. You will find many kind people who have a lot of knowledge that can help you. This site has been a tremendous help to me. :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well my truck has 613440 miles on it and is a 99.

I would say if you intent to buy it, get it checked out and if it has maint records, get copies to read through.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
If the price is cheap enough and the truck looks and runs good and passes inspection and what not, it might be worth buying to test the waters for a year or so. A '99 Int 4700 with over 300k won't be worth much less a year from now than it is today, you are looking a truck that should not be fetching any more than $8-10k on the used market. I would only consider a truck of that age and mileage for a local/regional courier type of business though. Mudflap

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>>From what I know...I would be more concerned with the age.
>>(in this case) Most companies you will lease on with
>>(FedEx, Panther, Express 1, etc) Will more than likely
>>require a newer truck.
>>
>>If you are truly going independent, 330,000 isnt bad if it
>>has been taken care of.
>
>
>I have no intention of signing on with anybody...this will
>be an experiment/hobby to see if i can find a niche or a
>customer base. I have a great day job just need to try
>something a tad different and challenging.
Have you looked into the costs of operating authority , insurance , etc . ? Those costs make it nearly impossible to make a profit part time .

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
I bought a 1988 "4900" day cab with 660,000 miles on it it had the lower half rebuilt at 500,000,(fairly easy as its a wet sleeve), drove it to 850,000 then traded it,in 2000, for something with a sleeper so i could go "over the road" and make the "big bucks" ( my daughter wrote that down in a little note book to use at the "commitment hearing").

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Last August I sold a 96 FL 70 with 906,000 on it for $6500.Your deal sounds good to me if the truck has decent rubber,brakes and has the DT 466,get a oil anaylsis at a Speedco,have a decent independent shop check it over.