IRS SSI who do I call?

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
This is a question of who do I call to get the answer question.

My youngest started receiving SSI benefits starting mid-2012, and I was designated as her payee. She received over $3,000.00 in benefits.

We did not receive a SSA-1099 for SSI. I did call the SSA to get a replacement for the SSA-1099 just in case in got lost. Unfortunately, what I got was only a report of the amounts received with no indication as to whether or not it was taxable.

Before I spend another 20 minutes on hold with the wrong people. Who do I call to find out if the benefits she received were in fact taxable, un-taxable or partially taxable?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since you are wanting to know about the "tax" I would guess the IRS.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you use a tax professional they should say Yes it's taxable and you need to do this or NO it's nontaxable which is why you didn't get a 1099.
There's a tax forum on EO. Ask there if you don't have a go-to guy.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
This is a question of who do I call to get the answer question.

My youngest started receiving SSI benefits starting mid-2012, and I was designated as her payee. She received over $3,000.00 in benefits.

We did not receive a SSA-1099 for SSI. I did call the SSA to get a replacement for the SSA-1099 just in case in got lost. Unfortunately, what I got was only a report of the amounts received with no indication as to whether or not it was taxable.

Before I spend another 20 minutes on hold with the wrong people. Who do I call to find out if the benefits she received were in fact taxable, un-taxable or partially taxable?

Maybe this will help.
Tax requirements for SSI benefits

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
SSI Income is not taxable, due to the fact it is state Supplement Security Income