IPhone or Droid

mdscott

Seasoned Expediter
Time to get a new phone. I am with AT&T. currently have an IPhone, but have heard a lot of good things about the Droid. Which one should I get?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Time to get a new phone. I am with AT&T. currently have an IPhone, but have heard a lot of good things about the Droid. Which one should I get?

As someone who's had both, I'm say Droid. The iphone sucketh. Web surfing is the only thing it does well. In fact, its a little better than the Droid at that. But at everything else, the iphone sucks.

shmekeru

Active Expediter

Iphone is what you need. Don't let Droid fool you. Iphone is much easier to use and has thousands more apps than the Droid does. I am a big Apple believer and strongly recommend. Get the iphone 4. The best phone on the market yet.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As someone who's had both, I'm say Droid. The iphone sucketh. Web surfing is the only thing it does well. In fact, its a little better than the Droid at that. But at everything else, the iphone sucks.

Seriously? To say the iPhone sucks is just ridiculous. I've also had both, and will stick with my iPhone.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Seriously? To say the iPhone sucks is just ridiculous.
Not if the reason for saying it is to tick off Appleheads. :D

Apple is like the Borg, once they've got you, they've got you, and you don't know any better.

If you like to tinker and customize, then the Droid is the way to go. You can pretty much do anything you want with the phone, including customizing your home screens to suit your needs. Can't do that with an iPhone, but the iPhone is easier to use, by a 5 year old or your grandmother, because you don't have to learn much about it or think about what you're doing to use it. It's very intuitive, while the Droid takes some time to learn. But it really comes down to whether you like to customize and tinker, or if the phone is a tool and nothing more.

There are many more apps for the iPhone, all of them personally approved (or rejected) by Steve Jobs, but the iPhone 4 does not have expandable storage. The Droid, on the other hand, supports MicroSD cards up to 32GB, you can extend its storage up to 40GB. So there's that.

If you are often not near a charger, then the iPhone is for you. The iPhone has impressive battery life. I have an extended battery on my Droid, though, and am rarely away from the charger, so that's not a problem for me.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not disputing that the Droid is a great operating system. But to say the iPhone sucks is just silly. Without it you'd still be using a very user unfriendly old school blackberry (although I also would add the BB Torch as a great smartphone, my wife loves hers) :p
It raised the bar exponentially and brought out some great competition, which is all good.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The iPhone sucks. The iPhone sucks. The iPhone sucks. :D

The thing is, if you want to customize your phone, then the iPhone just sucks rocks. If you want to be able to use the phone right of of the box without having to learn anything about it, the Droid sucks the same rocks.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The iPhone sucks. The iPhone sucks. The iPhone sucks. :D

The thing is, if you want to customize your phone, then the iPhone just sucks rocks. If you want to be able to use the phone right of of the box without having to learn anything about it, the Droid sucks the same rocks.

But but Turtle.....aren't all those elite iphone lovers supposed to be smarter than the average turtle? What are you saying about their intellect??:rolleyes:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But but Turtle.....aren't all those elite iphone lovers supposed to be smarter than the average turtle? What are you saying about their intellect??:rolleyes:

I don't know why one has to be good and all the others suck? I just don't get that.
BTW did you figure out how to do a screenshot yet? :p

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Actually, without the IPhone, I'd be using a Palm device. My old Treos were better phones than the iphone.

If all you want to do is make phone calls, surf the web, listen to music, and play a few games, the iphone will be sufficient, assuming you like to be told what's good for you through having your use managed by a company.

The iPhone is better at surfing the web than the droid, I'll give it that. But that's ALL it does better.

Where the iphone falls short is in text input, email, and the calendar. Coming to the iphone from a a Treo, having used Datebk6, the calendar function on the iphone was a HUGE step down. I can't believe whoever was in charge of that still has a job at Apple. Being that I used the calendar so much, I was cursing my iphone every day.

Then, as Turtle points out, the fixed memory capacity is a huge flaw, as is a non-replaceable battery.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't forget banking, watching Netflix or other streaming services, weather and stock updates, YouTube, google maps, gps navigation...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The iPhone is better at surfing the web than the droid, I'll give it that. But that's ALL it does better.
That depends largely on the browser you use. I've tried them all, but Dolphin HD is the best, especially when you get a few of the addons.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sure. It's easy <snort>
All you need is a rooted phone and a simple app, or a bazillion MB's of a Java SDK, Android SDK, and a USB connection to the computer so you can use the computer to take a screencap of the phone. It's retarded.

It's almost as retarded as how long it took them to get voice-dialing over Bluetooth added as a feature, which is something that should have been included with the very first Droid, especially since other phones have had that ability since the Bluetooth was invented.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I don't know why one has to be good and all the others suck? I just don't get that.

Why yes I did!!

4bda602a-77aa-dbc4.jpg

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you upgrade to a new phone will AT&T make you change to a tiered plan, or since you have a smartphone already are you safe?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But none of that is exclusive to the iphone. You can do that on several platforms.
Yeah, every one of those items are on the Droid. In fact, Google Maps Navigation seamlessly combines Google Maps, Google Earth, and Google Street View into a slick little GPS navigation package.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, every one of those items are on the Droid. In fact, Google Maps Navigation seamlessly combines Google Maps, Google Earth, and Google Street View into a slick little GPS navigation package.

Google voice is another nice feature for the bab. No typing.