Batteries Inverter Problem

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I have a very small inverter , 100 watt rating. Works fine in several different trucks , unfortunately not in the Freightliner Century I am driving at the moment. This inverter plugs into the cigarette lighter. Just wondering why it works in other trucks , but not the Century ? There are three different 12 volt outlets/ plugs in this truck , though the inverter will not work , in any of the three different plugs ??

Additionally none of the dome interior lights shine brightly enough to suit me. Could this be a indication of low voltage in the cab ?

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At least one, probably all three of those outlets should be 15 amp (180 Watts) outlets. Assuming low-draw 12-volt appliances like a GPS works when directly plugged into the sockets, Otsuka like a low voltage problem. The Dome lights could be related, or they could just be low wattage bulbs, or the lamps lens is simply not letting enough light through. Dome lights and 12-volt sockets will be on different circuits, so if both have low voltage it could very well be the main line into the cab. It's either a cheap, easy fix, or just the opposite.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
At least one, probably all three of those outlets should be 15 amp (180 Watts) outlets. Assuming low-draw 12-volt appliances like a GPS works when directly plugged into the sockets, Otsuka like a low voltage problem. The Dome lights could be related, or they could just be low wattage bulbs, or the lamps lens is simply not letting enough light through. Dome lights and 12-volt sockets will be on different circuits, so if both have low voltage it could very well be the main line into the cab. It's either a cheap, easy fix, or just the opposite.

Thanks Turtle

As you stated the low draw items , GPS cell all work. This kind of problem brings up issues that concern me. Like an electrical fire , probably unlikely though .

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. Low voltage can mean (not does mean, but can mean) high resistance somewhere along the lines, and high resistance means high heat, which can mean an electrical fire. I'd certainly have it checked out by someone.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Just go to Advance or O'Reilly's and get one of those heavier "add on" aux outlets. Wire it direct to your battery. Just be sure to get the kind with an inline fuse.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Just go to Advance or O'Reilly's and get one of those heavier "add on" aux outlets. Wire it direct to your battery. Just be sure to get the kind with an inline fuse.

Previous driver apparently tried something similar, it worked until the boss discovered that the insulation on the wire to the battery had melted. Boss said it was a miracle the truck did not catch on fire. Boss happened to be driving the truck when this incident occurred .

I kind of thinking this situation needs to be checked a little more thoroughly, by some one competent.

jimmy