interviewing process

langren18

Expert Expediter
What is the "normal" interviewing process when a team is looking to drive for an o/o and/or company? I'm sure there are lots of variations, we're just trying to get an idea what to expect. My husband is a seasonal t/t dedicated run driver and we're trying to decide where to spend the winter while we're looking for potential employers. We'd like to go back to AZ, but are afraid that's not a smart choice for interview reasons. Thanks for your time and input.

Deb

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would initially review the archives on this site as it will cover many of your questions. It will also give you a basis to form very specific ones.

AZ is alittle off the beaten path. If it is warmth in the winter you are seeking, Florida or Texas is your best bet. Many fleet owners from those states.

Davekc

langren18

Expert Expediter
I guess I should be more specific. Obviously the process would start with several phone calls to find out if there's initial interest on both sides after asking the appropriate questions. After that, is there paperwork/applications, etc., then finally at least one "in person" interview? What if there were 3 owners that we're interested in and they're interested in us, from 3 different locations (say FL, MI and TX), is it common to do an "in person" interview with all 3?

With the owners that have trucks leased out already, are there interviews with those companies, too? It seems that most or all companies do an orientation, also.

Yes, we're trying to get away from the snow and cold. Thanks again!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With regards to carriers, talking to their respective recruiters is the first step.
Second, I would look for owners that lease to that company.
Lastly of course would be the orientation.

I always think some type of "meeting" is good to ensure that your expectations are the same as the fleet owner. It is also a good time to review an owners driver contract, so any questions can be addressed. If the truck is available for inspection, this would be a good time as well.

Davekc
owner
21 years