Interesting Blog

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The team that writes that blog introduced themselves to Diane and me one day at a truck stop. Long time readers of my blog, they spotted us and came by to say hi.

They drive a big-rig and were leased to Forward Air at the time. They presented themselves well and impressed us as true professionals.

When they said they were on the way to sign on with FedEx Custom Critical, I asked what made them decide to do that. "You did" they said. They have been reading my blog for years and were impressed by all the good things I said about FedEx Custom Critical.

I felt terrible at that moment because Diane and I were either leaving or close to leaving (I don't recall exactly which without looking up dates) that carrier because the company changed and many of the good things I had written about them in the past were no longer true. Fortunately, they knew that too from my more-recent blog entries.

Nevertheless, they decided to give FedEx Custom Critical a try. They attended orientation and went to work pulling one of FCC's company-owned reefer trailers.

Their blog tells the rest of the story.

Diane and I have talked with a number of FedEx Custom Critical people in recent weeks, just meeting them on the road and chatting things up as expediters tend to do.

Almost all of them have mentioned that FCC wants more trucks. Yet when I see a great team like this one pass through the revolving door, I can only scratch my head and wonder. This team was a great catch but FCC let them get away.

I'm sorry things did not work out well for them at FCC and wish them well in their new gig.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Interesting read Indeed .
I do not know those Drivers & never did.
i was reading their blog for the 1st time just now & one thing strike odd for me :

"However, in the central dispatch system, the dispatchers are employees, they have their own deliverables, which means they must get the loads covered, so if an owner operator rejects too many loads - and it is tracked by the carrier - she might find her lease canceled, or that she only gets lousy loads. She begins to lose money and she can either pick up the pace or leave."

this was NOT MY personal experience.
maybe it is for FA/CC thing?
my experience with central dispatch, is that they can almost care less if the truck is moving freight or not.
but when it is moving, or ready to move, Central dispatch will get the best rates 'for the truck' .
there's a GOOD rezone why the carrier i leased with simply do not have A revolving door.
why would i look for a freight ?... like Ever ?
i can see a str8 truck have limited options ,
but a TT team ?, how can someone play the daily freedom of choice flag, when competing/looking for freight - is simply beyond MY understanding .
(I'd post #'s, but this is an Expedite forum, not Truckload)

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Just out of curiosity, Moose, I'd like your numbers.....if you don't mind sharing.

Or, just send me a PM if you'd like.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We met them in Fargo, ND and talked to them for about half an hour about trucking, bikes and life. They were still with FedEx at that point, but were not very happy with the amount of miles they were getting vs. the amount of miles they were actually "promised". We were surprised to hear we (in out DR truck) were consistently getting several hundred more miles per week than they were.

Very nice couple and had a great time talking to them. Hope they do well with their new carrier (and they will). Very well written blog.