Interesting article on XPO

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What is humorous about this is that it seems that everyone is willing to hammer other carriers for their actions. But when they get battered around, lied to and cheated by their carrier they sit around an make all kinds of excuses.

True for some drivers, maybe, but not for all. Diane and I were happy and felt fairly treated by our former carrier for six of the 6.5 years we were with them. But when policies changed not to our advantage, we left for a carrier does not have such policies. We were not trapped at the former carrier. We left when policy changes made it wise to do so.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What is humorous about this is that it seems that everyone is willing to hammer other carriers for their actions. But when they get battered around, lied to and cheated by their carrier they sit around an make all kinds of excuses.

It seems sad but the general sentiment is that you are going to get abused by everyone so find the person that abuses you the least.

I am sure some Sociologist would have a field day studying how drivers and fleet owners justify the treatment they get from their carriers and do nothing about it.

I would probably disagree with you. Of course there are some cases where some may hang on as long as they can, but not the norm. Case in point with XPO, just about every fleet owner I know that was there has left when they cut their pay. Not really a debatable item.
For me personally, I never look at a carrier relationship as a "marriage". They either get it done or they don't. Then again....I guess that could apply to a marriage.;) We have been at two other carriers and I have no qualms about moving if the carrier fails to perform. My obligation is to the folks that work for us and to the carrier if they perform within expectations.
No need to complicate the simple.

Johnp3337

Rookie Expediter
Have been impressed with the moves of E1 and Xpo. Delivered some office equipment to a new terminal of theirs. I was given a tour of the place and was blown away at the technology, professional people and environment. Xpo has more account managers hustling customers, loads than any other expediter our there bar none. They continue to buy 3pls with LTL focus. So they dropped the rates to get market share, ofcourse they did! Customers are interested in 1 thing and thats price, never kid yourself about that. You can tell them til their blue jn the face about how great your svc is and all but all they want to hear is price. Now I hear so are the other carriers reducing contractor rates as E1 did.as Money is made on volume of loads.the grand slam loads are fewer and far between. Spend time running loads at a set CPM, it pays more than sitting hunting loads at the local flying J.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Have been impressed with the moves of E1 and Xpo. Delivered some office equipment to a new terminal of theirs. I was given a tour of the place and was blown away at the technology, professional people and environment. Xpo has more account managers hustling customers, loads than any other expediter our there bar none. They continue to buy 3pls with LTL focus. So they dropped the rates to get market share, ofcourse they did! Customers are interested in 1 thing and thats price, never kid yourself about that. You can tell them til their blue jn the face about how great your svc is and all but all they want to hear is price. Now I hear so are the other carriers reducing contractor rates as E1 did.as Money is made on volume of loads.the grand slam loads are fewer and far between. Spend time running loads at a set CPM, it pays more than sitting hunting loads at the local flying J.

Ummm.................no. Not exactly. If that was the case CRST, Schnieder, and a host of others tried to do it on a price alone. We seen how well that went. :rolleyes:
There is a lot more to expedting than just the price point.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

When you are racing to the bottom with your rates it is good for no one except the shipper and that is only for a short period, then they pay the price. If companies like E1 stopped the stupidity the shippers aren't left with much of a choice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep....poster seems confused between 3pls, LTL "They continue to buy 3pls with LTL focus" . and then somehow connects expedite to that in one statement....

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think they are only connecting the expedite drivers wages to LTL, not their total rate to the customer.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jacob's has been emphatic that freight brokering/forwarding is where the future/money is....when the big picture of what becomes of Concert Group Logistics and Bounce with the new and improved XPO....we will see...right now just pure speculation

Johnp3337

Rookie Expediter
Davekc , in all sincerity and not in any rude way at all do I mean this in a in-professional way. When I say "3pls with an LTL focus" I mean just that. There are plenty of 3pls out there that have diverse specialties some focus on strictly TL, some flatbed/heavy haul, even 3pls that focus strictly on Intermodal. Then the 3pl that's focused on LTL. Now , when I say LTL I'm taking about LTL that requires exclusive usage of an asset, direct service. Sorry for misleading in my post and next go around ill be more specific. Averett, Conway, YRC can continue to handle those standard LTL all they want. It those types of carries that are so big with so much volume that can't support all the demand they have at the below dirt pricing they charge that allow us expediters a job to fix their inability to provide adequate service.