Insurance

paidtourist

Rookie Expediter
Renewal with Progressive coming up for CV. Another nearly $800.00 increase. I have not had a ticket in over 25 yrs. Im ready to tell them to shove it. Im based in NC. Would be very thankful for help on leads to another Ins. Co.

Last edited:

Gapeach

Seasoned Expediter
Wehae insurance through panther and it awful. We hit a deer. Just bumper damaged. No extra benifits. We wil be changing. Gonna look at OOIDA.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Do you have down time coverage through your policy. Down time coverage rates were what increased this year not the basic coverage.

As i have said time and time again. Insurance can be found anywhere but good insurance is hard to find "C I S". All insurance companies are going to have increases every year. The difference between the increases that the insurance companies have is probably less than 20%. We all can complain all we want but fact is, insurance rates are going to increase and that is a reality and a cost of doing business. Personally, I am not willing to shop for cheaper insurance and do away with my good insurance. Good insurance is much more important. Your increase is 67.00 $ a month. Not an astronomical figure to cope with when it comes to insuring your business. Look at it as a trade off, you will get it back at tax time as a deduction. Just sayin, think about it !!!!!!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Renewal with Progressive coming up. Another nearly $800.00 increase. I have not had a ticket in over 25 yrs. Im ready to tell them to shove it. Im based in NC. Would be very thankful for help on leads to another Ins. Co.

Get ready to cry when looking, I don't think you find anything much cheaper. I was quoted just recently by Progressive for $5800/yr for a 2012 Sprinter. Also this correction has been a long time coming as I remember in 2000 when the last large increase was when I had my straight truck. As I remember ins. rate was like $10,000/yr.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's CIS and there's everyone else. They only do expediter's insurance and they know every possible way to get the best coverage for the least expense. Check with them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As i have said time and time again. Insurance can be found anywhere but good insurance is hard to find "C I S". ... Personally, I am not willing to shop for cheaper insurance and do away with my good insurance. Good insurance is much more important.

Well said. Additionally, a good agency is important too, perhaps more important. It took us a while in the industry to discover the CIS agency and get past the idea of deviating from the insurance company FedEx Custom Critical recommended. But once we did, there was no turning back.

After moving to Landstar, we discovered that their insurance was better than anything FedEx suggested. And we also learned that part of it was better than what CIS could provide because CIS told us so. This is an agency that truly puts its customers' best interests first.

Still, we kept part of our insurance with CIS because they could help us there and we wanted to maintain the wonderful customer-service relationship that we had come to enjoy. That turned out to be a wise choice. When we had a deer-strike claim and the adjuster in California made mistakes, CIS was not just there to help but eager to help.

When we left expediting, we insured our truck as an RV to save money while it was for sale and being driven for test drives. Knowing we would never do business with any truck insuracnce company again, CIS still stepped up and went the extra mile to help us find the best RV coverage at the best rate. And this took considerable effort on their part because RV insurance is not something they typically do.

In a word, the people at CIS are simply amazing. They put your best interests first and earn customer loyalty because of it. CIS shines when helping you find the best coverage at the best price, and they especially shine with customer service when claims are made.

Gapeach

Seasoned Expediter
Found it thanks. Panthers insurance suxs. At when we were with Fedex theres was a lot better than this.

paidtourist

Rookie Expediter
I am with CIS now. Its just that about a $900.00 increase last year, now $800.00 this year, I feel like Im being taken advantage of. If I had a claim I could understand. I feel like Progessive has a lock on the market and knows it, there for sticking it to us. I may be venting from seeing the increase, but still think its to high. Cosidering the cost of living out on the road, and the cost to stay up and running I don't think any of us are getting rich, but Ins. Co. think we are. They are driving their new Vetts to their weekend beach house, while we struggle to feed our familys and stay in bussiness. I have another Co. checking prices for me. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the replys.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not saying that you are because I don't know but if the ones who run for pennies on the dollar just to get miles, I think that's backwards. My saying as well as many others "drive smarter not harder." If we all did that there would be more opportunities for all.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am with CIS now. Its just that about a $900.00 increase last year, now $800.00 this year, I feel like Im being taken advantage of. If I had a claim I could understand. I feel like Progessive has a lock on the market and knows it, there for sticking it to us. I may be venting from seeing the increase, but still think its to high. Cosidering the cost of living out on the road, and the cost to stay up and running I don't think any of us are getting rich, but Ins. Co. think we are. They are driving their new Vetts to their weekend beach house, while we struggle to feed our familys and stay in bussiness. I have another Co. checking prices for me. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the replys.

Did you read and pay attention to any of the posted answers to your original post. John & Shelley {C I S} arent driving a vette to a beach house. If they are, im p o'd cause they didnt invite me !!!!!!!!!! LOL Lots you seem to not understand about what drives price and the value of getting what you pay for.

Truck215

Rookie Expediter
We have our insurance through CIS/Progressive and the increases have been awful in the past year. Three vans, one is set to home time right now because there's no driver in it, one CDL driver, one with no accidents and almost 40 years old, and our insurance is $1,100 a month with one being home radius right now. When we put another driver in it and put it back in service, it will be around $1,500 a month for ten months out of the year. Sarah, who just recently left, told me that we'd do best to have 50+ year old males for our drivers to get the best rates, or CDLs. We saw it as high as $2,000 a month back in the spring because we took a chance on a driver who had a strike on his license. That won't happen again. Thought he could make up for the extra money, but that didn't happen, so I was glad to see the back of him.

nunnsexpress

Seasoned Expediter
HI guys, sounds like the same s--t the insurance company's did to the aviation industry,
I ran a flight school and my insurance was 15-2k an aircraft I had 4 aircraft, it went up to 6000 min an aircraft. needless to say it toke the wind out of our sail. it wasn't just us but every ma and pa flight school across the us. problem there was only one insurance company that would sell flight school insurance, and they stuck it to all of us. It's killed general aviation. I sold my 4 aircraft after 40 years , bought a warehouse moved my courier and freight trucks there. that was in 08.
now the insurance company's are going after commercial trucking and if they don't be carful
they will kill it too. Progressive good company, but there competition is weeding out ... here we go again!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Renewal with Progressive coming up for CV. Another nearly $800.00 increase. I have not had a ticket in over 25 yrs. Im ready to tell them to shove it. Im based in NC. Would be very thankful for help on leads to another Ins. Co.

Is this just for one cargo van? Or a Sprinter? Is it really new and expensive? I had my rate go down by decreasing the value of my van. As it ages, you need to stay in touch with the insured value.

I was told if I purchase a new 2014-15 vehicle to expect a $200 per month rate increase. That's a huge annual rate increase, but only due to the replacement value of the new van. Not because of anything I did or Progressive just doing a money grab. It's all related to the rate you pay.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One concern I have about insurance is how much they'd actually cover if I had to have work done due to accident. My machine is 16 years old and approaching half a million miles. If insurance only covers up to "blue book value" on the van, I'm screwed just paying for comprehensive and collision because the van is nearly totaled if somebody keys the paint. It's still got life left in it of course at this point, but-- the things that insurance will cover with a newer vehicle get priced beyond replacement of the vehicle when they're this old.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I go through grange insurance in Columbus, Ohio.

I have combined single limits of 1 million, medical payments 5k, uninsured motorists 100k, cargo 100k

4295.00 a year.

Promaster 1500 low roof 136.

MLTransCorp

Rookie Expediter
Check the radius that you are covered for. We were told by a Grange rep that Grange would only cover a 400 mile from home radius. The vehicle we bought was covered by Grange, we drove it under Grange, but when we bought it and tried to get coverage, Grange would not underwrite the policy for more than a 400 mile radius, and they were insuring that vehicle with me listed as the driver of that vehicle. It might be that you are grandfathered, if so don't loose the policy. The ONLY insurance I could find for more than 400 miles was progressive, ooida does not cover anything less than 26,000 #. State Farm, Nationwide, Geico, I tried them all, have progressive as personel insuance since 1998, have large accident forgiveness, 10 + years with same insurance. I am a member, my tractors (80,000) were insured thru them. (OOIDA). Make it your first question. The only insurance to cover courier policy with over 400 mile radius is Progressive.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using EO Forums mobile app

MLTransCorp

Rookie Expediter
Progressive agent called and got cost of parts, time to repair, gave me the name and phone number of the business that he got figures from, said if there is a difference, call me and we will adjust the settlement, then cut the check the day he saw the damage.have to say I was Happy,
Except that cannot find downtime insurance for vans, straight trucks, and tractors, but not vans.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using EO Forums mobile app

paidtourist

Rookie Expediter
Did you read and pay attention to any of the posted answers to your original post. John & Shelley {C I S} arent driving a vette to a beach house. If they are, im p o'd cause they didnt invite me !!!!!!!!!! LOL Lots you seem to not understand about what drives price and the value of getting what you pay for.

I have no problem with CIS. they have been good when ever i've called them. I know they get their cut. Hey they are their to make a living too. But the high price jumps are coming from Progessive. Thats where my problem is. There are good folks at CIS.