Insurance

paidtourist

Rookie Expediter
Not saying that you are because I don't know but if the ones who run for pennies on the dollar just to get miles, I think that's backwards. My saying as well as many others "drive smarter not harder." If we all did that there would be more opportunities for all.

Good point. I dead head before I drive just for gas money. I wont haul peoples stuff for free. Pay me enough to live on or I move on my own.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Grange DOES NOT write otr trucking insurance. I will bet almost any amount you are not properly covered and a claim would be denied or cancellation based on it.

I said it years ago. The rates that most were paying were way below normal trucking market. More and more carriers realized that van drivers were getting policies with the different carriers and the carriers did not realize or even offer that kind of coverage. A lot of this should be blamed on greedy agents who sold guys cheap policies that were not the proper coverage. Progressive is one of the few that write the coverage correctly. In the end insurance is a simple formula of revenue vs losses and exposure. The market continues to find that balance. The numbers that people are complaining about on here are now much more in line with what standard fleets with exclusive vehicles are paying to cover a sprinter type unit.

As much as no one wants to hear this. You were getting ahead for a while and now it is catching up. Be happy for the money you saved. BTW CIS is top notch. Rates going up or down does little to effect the agents revenue vs the insurance company themselves.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guess I should talk to the company I run for, as they were the ones that send me to grange and had my policy done.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well I am not sure who you run for. But if they call Grange direct or read the full policy I suspect they will find some serious issues. Some carriers are doing this knowing this and are willing to take chances others are being told things by their agents that are not true. Too many cutting corners to save money or to try and get ahead.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Believe it's their agents because they sent me to their farmers agent who took care of this and got me what I needed...progressive quoted me 12k a year for my promaster

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
If you are paying less than 5k, odds are you don't have the proper coverage.

I am sure CIS would review anyone's policy and tell them for sure. They are experts and if someone has even 1 percent doubt about their coverage, why not double check vs risk your business?

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Agreed. CIS helps to make sure we, and our O/Os are protected. Premiums fluctuate. That's the market. Not the broker. But due diligence is always a good idea. And due diligence falls in your lap.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to take care of this issue ASAP! I cannot allow myself not to be properly covered. Especially since I'm paying 350 a month, what's the point of that. Rather pay 450 or whatever and not having to wore about screwing my life up and ending up in debt for the rest of my life.

Funny thing is when I first started in this business I used to run for this company who accepted my insurance under personal policy 100k/300k/100k....which was 130 a month. By switching to this, my goal was to be protected and worry free.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I might be wrong and way off base but what you just stated unfurls a huge red flag.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
A company that runs below proper and legal limits shouldn't be in business.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I couldn't agree more, you cannot put at risk your drivers(o/o). Nor potentially your customers.

The first company that let you use personal auto..,Ahhh I want to put them on blast since I don't work with them anymore, but I'm not gonna mention anything..

The only thing I'm wondering is how come does grange writes cargo insurance. It states in the documents, 100k motor cargo for whatever I'm hauling. With hazmat being excluded.

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Not only do they out themselves at risk but they are placing their owner operators at an even greater risk for potential disaster and financial loss or litigation.

Not sure on the cargo but I would check it out. It may be your cargo vs hired cargo coverage. CIS would know for sure.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Believe it's their agents because they sent me to their farmers agent who took care of this and got me what I needed...progressive quoted me 12k a year for my promaster
You had a BAD agent.....I called Progressive Direct Commercial Division and they quoted me.....$2100 a YEAR if I paid in full.....CIS just underwrites for Progressive....
$250,000 cargo...2 million liability plus empty coverage

ADD: of course that is based on a 2005 with only a $10,000 replacement cost.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got my Progressive from their website. Had it for about a year then learned about CIS and moved it there. Actually was lower cost from CIS.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This thread couldn't have been started at a better time, currently looking for insurance for 06 Sprinter with $12000 value. 200k miles

$2100 paid in full, are you kidding me? Can you send me the name and number # of that agent?

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
This thread couldn't have been started at a better time, currently looking for insurance for 06 Sprinter with $12000 value. 200k miles

$2100 paid in full, are you kidding me? Can you send me the name and number # of that agent?

Big ? Is if you are trying to get liability and cargo or just physical damage and bobtail?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

$2100 paid in full, are you kidding me? Can you send me the name and numbers # of that agent?

I told you what it was progressive direct commercial division CIS gave me their number