Insurance

robedge

Expert Expediter
I need some info. I have applied for my own authority and now need insurance. The problem is my driver is new, 1 month experience and I am having trouble getting insurance. I have one Cargo van leased out to an expediting firm at present but want to go it alone.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why would you have gone and spent the money to get your own authority, and not checked into all the other things involved in what it takes to start a business? Did you put a business plan together, so you can get a loan, if you need one! To start a business properly, and to do the right thing is to put about 500 hours into a good business plan. Did you retain an attorney to go after your money, when you don't get paid? Do you have an accountant, to do your taxes to Uncle Sam? Do you really know what it takes to to own and run a business in the transportation field? Do you have a back up plan if your driver decides to not work for a day, week, or month? BUT,BUT---the one question I would love to know the answer to is,,, DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING???? or did you get that useless authority for other reasons? In most cases people that start a business, that put others in danger of many lives (transportation) will not use someone with only one month experience? Secondly most insurance companies that handle the transportation field will get you the proper insurance and the authority to go along with the type of transportation involved. One final tid bit of info to you and all that get this crazy notion to start thier own business in transportation, depending on the facts and the nature of the business, the authority is the least of your worries. For you to go on your own and to not drive, you will need to get about $3.50 a mile. Do yourself a favor and get all the facts before you spend any more money, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Give Nancy Stradley a call at Commercial Insurance Services - 1-800-444-0077 ext 114. She is in the Leased Operator Dept.

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I guess some people can't take constructive criticism. If you think my post was useless, you must really be green. Have a nice day.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Hey Tony

I thought it was a good post...does that count.

Have a good one

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Olko!!!
Some guys and/or galls get into this great and wonderfull business of expediting, drive for a while (3 to 6 months or maybe a year) and they get this whim, to start their own full blown expediting service, (do you have $20k or $25k to get started) That is an overall long term goal ,and for some a lifes ambition to do that, and that's great. If you do decide to take this super colossus step, then at least know what it is your doing, and have the funds. Research and planing is the key, and I don't mean comming to this forum and asking other drivers. Yes it is great to put things out there for some help, or advice, but some of the things that I read in this post are ludicrous. To read it and think this person is trying to start a business in transportation scares the hell out of me.

See I qualify, because I've been there, and I've done that, and I still do. Seking advice is one thing, but acting out before proper planing is fullish. Do the USA, and all of us out there on the road a favor and get all the facts before you act. You will save money too,

At times I tend to put things on this forum that may come across to people the wrong way, and if you took my reply to heart Rodedge, I apologize, I wasn't trying to degrade you in any way, I wanted to make a general point, and to give you and all the other readers a wake-up call.If you are in need of some good honest help or adivice, Rodedge, send me an email.

irishkearns

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I've been reading some of your posts, and I don't know why anyone would want to email you or ask for your advice again....your attitude is very arrogant. I know you may think you are helping people with your answers because of all your expertise and knowledge of the industry, but all you're really doing is presenting a "holier than thou" attitude and it is quite destructful. This board, I believe, was intended to give advise and help people, not to discourage and berate them!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Tony,,looks like it!s your turn to get chewed out.Somebody called ILOVECHROME ripped me last January without knowing me or having ever met me..LOL..Problem is that these folks only want to see the business through rose colored glasses and don!t want to hear the negative. Stay safe out there..

irishkearns

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I still think you guys are missing the boat! We're not looking through rose-colored glasses, I've been in this business long enough to know the ups and downs of this industry. And it has nothing to do with knowing you or meeting you......all I have to do is read your posts, it's right there in black and white...to see the attitude and the lack of sensitivity. The newbies are simply trying to gather information and seek out advise from this board and if they continue to get responses like yours, I don't think they'll come back again. Why should they when they get negative feedback? Try being a litle more helpful and realize that you were once where they are!!!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The new insurance soap, I call it ""AS THE INSURANCE YEARNS""
Hey Rich!!!:p
As Lawrence would put it, Loved those KUDOS!!!x( x( x( ,I have big shoulders, and can hang with the best of them.
Lets just say (for the sake of not arguing) that you are right, and I amit irishkearns that you are right about being hard on some of the replies I give!!! How can you miss something that you own(the boat)? I mean lets get real, If someone wanting to start, own and run a business can't take some good wholesome constructive criticism then why is that person thinking about starting a business in this industry for in the first place. I and the people that work with me have to be on the road daily. We don't need for it to be any worse off than it is.

If someone is going to start a business he should already know what and how it works, and by-god he sure should be able to stand on his own. I wouldn't want to work for someone that has to run to the forum to get me answers, whould you???

You must not read very many posts!!!, to say I have attitude, but if you say so, then so be it. "I call a spade a spade", This is life and not some game for some fresh newbie, and not even a driver to come on the forum and ask for that kind of help. It takes years of knowledge and schooling to be a good business person, or would you rather some newbie not know all the facts?
When time warrants it then I'm as senitive as the next person, or more. I just don't think someone dealing in this industry needs to be pampered. There are lives at risk and I don't want mine to be one of them.

Hey irishkearns, and any one else, if I come off with attitude, then I must apologize to you guys, because that isn't my intent. I jsut don't want to see some of these new people get in over their head, and not be able to come out of it. I've seen it happen too! to many-many people, and it's not pretty.:D :7 :+ LLLOOOLLL

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well y'all this is an interesting subject. To go it alone, or, not.
Tony evidently feels he is the only one that has gone around the crap
house a couple of times. He is not sure if there is anyone that has
been around that same crap house twenty or thirty times - but, he is
learning. I would like to encourage anyone to find their own business
and go for it. You probably won't do much more than make a living if
you spend your expediting career groveling for freight, and waiting in
line with a thousand other trucks for work. You may not do much more
than make a living if you go it alone. But, it is much more satisfying. And, you might just do very well. So, just keep asking those questions, pick the fly crap from the pepper in the answers, and
go on about your business.;-)

irishkearns

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
yes, 'as the INSURANCE YEARNS" soap opera.....that's what I mean about your attitude....this is all very boring to you, right? I mean, if everyone doesn't agree with you, then they don't know what they're talking about. But it proves one thing.....YOU can't take "constructive criticism" either!!! Now you know how the other guy feels! I just don't understand how his wanting to run his own authority would affect you anyway....it doesn't mean he's a terrible driver because he wants to work for himself!!!! Did you even read the original question?????