Insulin dependent drivers

Monty

Expert Expediter
Somewhere down below I was commenting that with a vehicle not requiring a CDL, my wife and I might be able to team drive, should we choose to.

Here is the official answer ....

Monty,

Welcome to retirement and part time work. Federal law requires anyone operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate commerce to possess a medical certificate. Commercial Driver License requirements contained in Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR), 383 do not cover medical requirements.

FMCSA utilizes the definition of CMV contained in 49 CFR, 390.5 for medical card requirements. Therefore, if you are operating a CMV with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a combination with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, you are required to possess a medical certificate [49 CFR 391.11(b)(4)].

You would have to operate the 26,000 GVWR straight truck in intrastate commerce to avoid medical certificate requirements, including not being required to possess specified endorsements.

Additionally, there is no such animal as an "air brake" endorsement, only "air brake" restrictions, usually administered when a person fails the air brake portion of the written test or the drive test is taken with a vehicle that does not have air brakes. Good Luck.

Sgt. Pete Camm (Ret.)
California Highway Patrol

Ol’ Blue, USA

P.O. Box 4444
Van Nuys, CA 91412-4444

So I guess no matter how much she begs me ... (snicker) .... we can't drive as a team in expediting, unless we do a CV .... "Yes dear, I'll go mow the grass now!"

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Wasn't there a release type deal where they can apply to drive with regular doctor visits documented the blood sugar is maintained?

Jake

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wasn't there a release type deal where they can apply to drive with regular doctor visits documented the blood sugar is maintained?

Jake

I think Monty was looking for a way out....LOL and found it....I don't think he is going to push it...only thing he is pushing is the lawnmower....:)

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
There are Diabetes Waivers available under certain conditions from FMCSA/DOT.

You must apply for the waiver.