Info on a Sprinter

roadeater

Active Expediter
Hello everyone! I have a few questions and hope you can help me. I am about to buy a 2005 Sprinter with a 2.7L I5 Mercedes turbo diesel engine, I would like to know what is the MPG on this engines and what are the costs of maintenance. I work as a courier and have a 2500 Chevy Express van, business is growing and need a bigger vehicle. I run 3100 miles a week. I would really appreciate all the information you can give me. Thank you and be safe out there.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I don't have a Sprinter but its my understanding that if they were not meticulously cared for in their first 200K miles that the repairs come sooner and the engine life it substantially shortened. Hopefully you are getting an outstanding deal on it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i wouldn't buy used sprinter unless you can see all maintance reports
so you will know what has been done
if you can't have that info run fast and far from that one

xlman78

Active Expediter
Hi, fuel mpg depends how you drive, freight weight, weather, geographic conditions, if all on you side u can get 24-25 avg.
Maintenance cost depend can u do oil and basic thinks you own, otherwise cost a LOT, it helps to have mechanic that knows how to work with Sprinters, for example my mechanic told me for water pump 180 (oem)+ 120 labor = 400$, dealer 100 and more for the same fix. So if u doing 3100 a week for a year gonna make 167 k, round this up to 150k u gonna have new water pump every year, parts still are cheaper by 1/2 comparing to 07 and up models but all depends how much u make.
And assuming that trans and engine are were in good hands in past.
And lets dont forget about rust which may eat you faster then engine or trans gonna die.
But all depends how much coins you make.