Info on a new career

knel35565

Expert Expediter
I was sitting in a truck stop in Mo. a few months back and ran across an ad for an expeditors service. I had no idea what it was so I checked into it and found it something I wouldlike to do. I am not finacially able to purchase a straight truck so I have decided I will start with a cargo van. What I need to know is typically how many miles a week can you get with a van and what is the average owner / operator pay for a cargo van? I appreciate all of your help and input!

J. Keith Nelson
ROLL TIDE ROLL

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Lot's of variables to give you a finite answer for cargo van operation. paid and deadhead miles will vary by company as will the pay per mile. Fuel surcharges will also vary from customer to customer. Tariffs vary considerably in different areas of the country as well.

I think a fair cents per mile spread will be 65 to 125 for typical loaded miles with an average of all the national companies in the neighborhood of 90 cents. Paid miles will range between 700 to 2000 with extremes at either end. Deadhead mile will be about 1/3 more.

I have no data to back up the above guesstimates but I hope you can get an idea from them. I have earned as little as $0 for one week of availability and as much as $4025 as a team.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
I don't know if there is anything "typical" as far as how many miles or rate of pay-read through the posts here and you can get a general idea.As for myself,I contract a cargo van(Ford E250EXT) with a local Milwaukee trucking company and command a minimum rate of .90/mile or 60% of the freight bill(whichever is higher),plus 100% of what the company bills as a fuel surcharge. I also have my own operating authority and all needed insurance and references,so I am able to run loaded 90% of the time,be home 4-5 nights a week,and still average 2900 miles per week.It's kind of up to you which direction you choose to go.There are those here who really look-down on us who don't have a "name" on the side of our trucks,but for me it works out best,because I can haul for companies who know me for my service,and don't have to be contracted to any one specific carrier.I have also seen a lot of vehicles(and drivers) supposedly contracted with"the best" that,if I were the shipping company, I would not allow my freight to leave the dock with,out of fear that it may not even make it to the highway.Remember,you are a professional-you must look,act,and be just that.Good luck,and keep us posted...

tom1

Expert Expediter
Hi,
I have my own 1 man business delivering antiques ,artwork, and high end furnature based out of Pittsburgh Pa and covering most of the east coast with occasional ventures further west.
Can I get my own authority without a cdl? I have been in bus. over 11 yrs and have never run an add, all of my work being either for decorators, dealers, auction houses, and word of mouth etc.
I am looking for a company that I can call for expedited loads on my return trips, hopefully I can always put magnetic signs on my sprinter and and deliver their loads.. this yr. I have run over 15,000 miles empty.
There has too be a company that I can sub to or an org. for self sustaining delivery operators where we can sub to each other or what?

please let me know if you are aware of anything out there..between now and Christmas i,ll be returning empty from Boston,, St. Louis and Boca Raton Fl.

Thanks, and drive safe
Tom1