Industry groups to take opposition to trucker hours rule to Congress

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know what would help, having a campaign to get these truckers to vote or register them to vote - seems to get the attention of congress with other groups.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure what the right answer is. I'm not that familiar w/ logging. I'm aware that if you drive from your delivery to a truckstop 3 miles away you have to reset some sort of clock. That sort of thing seems unreal. There needs to be some common sense in these rules.

What slays me though, is how doctors can be on duty forever & a day. They're doing operations & things of that nature. I hope if I ever need an operation, it's not by a doctor who hasn't slept in 36 hours.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What happens when Congress helps, you get screwed worse then before they helped.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I'm not sure what the right answer is. I'm not that familiar w/ logging. I'm aware that if you drive from your delivery to a truckstop 3 miles away you have to reset some sort of clock. That sort of thing seems unreal. There needs to be some common sense in these rules.

What slays me though, is how doctors can be on duty forever & a day. They're doing operations & things of that nature. I hope if I ever need an operation, it's not by a doctor who hasn't slept in 36 hours.

A doctor who hasn't slept in 36 hours could very well slay you...

As for the clock reset and driving hours, remember bathroom stops and driving after delivery are all counted in the allotted drive time. If a delivery is scheduled barely within the allotted drive time, hopefully the driver can park and sleep in the receiver's lot while the clock is resetting. What has been happening lately is more time allowed for delivery or drop and hook to another driver with a fresh clock.

There are times when a driver doesn't legally have the time to drive 10 miles to the nearest J or T/A after delivery. There are times when delivery deadline has to be extended. There are receivers who won't allow overnight parking.

There are no easy answers. Will the Feds pony up some type of incentives for the industry to allow companies to put more trucks and drivers in service? Will more trucks=more toll roads and increased tolls on the ones already in existence? How about creating reasonable safe havens for drivers? Of course, would there be an increase in fuel taxes to create and maintain those?

That one less hour to drive, as we all know, is going to make a huge difference; and when electronic logging is in full implementation, this impact will be majorly felt throughout all of cargo transportation.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
We are on Electronic Logs now!! So far it is all fine there are few rough times where as a team you have only enough time to get to your customer and the other team member has to come on and start his or her clock! Doesn't seem like a problem until you unload drive to truck stop and are waiting on your next load assignment. You have started your 14 clock (future 13) and the time is ticking and your clock is being you feel so wasted and no way to stop it. You can take your hour of personal time but the clock goes back to ticking and the time is now like 10 hours later and well there ya go no driving and your pretty much done time to switch again and haven't done anything. That is pretty much sad but legal is legal/ I think its cause it goes minute by minute instead of the 15 minute incridments. Ya just stress ya out more. After ya do it awhile it grows on ya and must say now we do 10 and10 and have growen to like it/ Now wouldn't go back!! Welcome to the future!! Oh yes and ours talks to ya if ya stay on the 11 it will count down to ya the last hour to the last minute you will not go over your time!!

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FYI its still a 14 hour clock once you start, the only difference is you will now have to take a couple of breaks that you take now. just look at it this way two 15 minute breaks broken up by a 30 minute lunch.

If you have ever worked outside of the over the road segment of trucking you would know it is a regulation that you get two 1/4 hour breaks, paid and a 30 minute lunch unpaid every day at work. Now other then being paid for the 1/4 hour breaks oyu will have to do as any other employee has to do.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Amazing how they are trying to legislate common sense...:rolleyes:

OVM,
Do you know the difference between legislation and a regulation?

They are allowed to regulate us, congress doesn't have to approve it but should do so as a matter of IT IS THEIR JOB.

I think people are looking for answers to something that has none shows the problem.

The reality is that unless we want to be part of the main stream trucking, we have no reason to complain or worry, our numbers are in the fraction of the percentages and so is our work.

The nature of the work is not the mainstream work but we are there to service the customer for their special needs.

IF this means we have to wait to be loaded or wait to be unloaded, we wait. If this means we have to fit our work into the regulations, then we do so to remain legal while WE service those who need our specialized services.