I'm lost.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking for a little advice. Please chime in if have some.

My wife and I just graduated CDL school yesterday. A few weeks ago, we were offered a team expediting position for a contractor hauling for FedEx CC in a straight truck with a sweet sleeper. Owner was offering a 60/40 split, with 40 to us (he pays fuel). For reasons I won't get into now, that fell apart. I then applied to a few other classifieds that are searching for teams, and we received a few calls back.

Wife and I had a long discussion over this just tonight. We are struggling with the decision of hiring on with tractor/trailer companies, or going with expediting.

Here are my one versus the other arguments, and where I need a little guidance:

Training:
If we go on with one of the 'big' outfits that are still hiring (Werner, Swift, Covenant, Roehl), we are going to be apart. Could be 1 month, maybe 3. Everyone except Covenant, and I have not been able to find one single positive thing said about them. Training in expedite truck consists of the orientation at FedEx, and then get our butts to work.

Future:
We have been told that if we start our career in expediting, then choose to move back over to OTR with 18 wheels later, we will have to pay for a refresher course. Not liking the sound of that.

Money:
I have talked with one other H/W team for this same o/o, and she says they could consistently make over $1k per month doing what they are now. She sometimes doesn't, but mostly due to laziness. If we go the 18 wheel route, I realize that we won't make squat the first year, but will probably move it up considerably the next, and really make some dough the third (after switching companies). However, I read a lot about people starving in 18 wheelers right now.

Self-employment:
As a subcontractor, we have to pay self-employment taxes. While this is good experience for the next item, it really lessens the amount of money we're making. I'm fairly good at avoiding taxes, but it's a delicate balance I have to live if I ever want to prove profitability when I go to finance anything (banker looks at p/l and determines that I work for free).

Buying a truck:
I have a burning desire to own my own truck. Whether it's a straight truck or a conventional tractor, I will own one in probably 2-3 years. I will lease on to somebody. I'm just wondering if I start my career driving a straight truck, will I limit myself in who will allow me to lease on if I buy an 18-wheeler, and have no experience in one other than school.

Dogs:
I have four. Yes, I said 4. Big sleeper, no problems. They all travel well, and have extensively. If I go to work for one of the big truck outfits, I get one or none, depending on company. That means I pay someone to sit my dogs a few times a day while they are at my home, alone. That costs money.

I realize there are naysayers here that will tell me that getting into trucking now is foolish. Tough turds. We're here.

I may have to add some things to this later on, but I welcome everyone's input. Thanks in advance.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Lets start form the top.your both fresh out of school.as a tractor trailer operator,your going to have trouble with most companies cause of lack of expience so will have insurance problems.If yoou go into a straight truck,you will be able to get on the road sooner,but,because of the economy the way it is,you really need to get with an experienced owner,driver that can show you the ropes,so therefore ,your split up again.Now if your wife doesnt mind staying home for about 6 months.then you might have a chance at making it in this slow economy.
If you decide to go the tractor trailer route,US Express has a good program as does PAM,just make sure the guy or gal doing the training has enough experience himself.These companies like to take new drivers and make teachers out of them,and that wont work

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You just spent all the money to go to T/T school I would put it to good use and not lose that experience. If your wife can stay at home for bit while you train and get experience most often the husband can train the wife then. You can make good money in Expediting also driving a T/T and husband wife teams are in demand.

You are right though if you do not use your training you will have to go to school again. You can always go to a straight truck at any time after driving T/T if you figure out you do not like it.

Good luck on your decision!

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I would ask yourself this, you must have had a plan before you attended school,meaning whether you would do OTR with company or ST in expedite,right? if I were in your position I think Caffee is right ,I would go ahead and get that TT trainging out of the way to avoid having to repeat it in the future along with the associated cost.
A question for experienced drivers such as nightcreacher etc.
A class A cdl can be obtained without attending school,true or false? Nightcreacher you mentioned that an inexperienced driver would have trouble obtaining insurance. I got a quote from the insurance company that advertises here on EO, they gave me a quote of around 1500.00 per year, I have not obtained a CDL yet.
Would I be hit with a surprise of not being able to obtain insurance once I obtained the CDL, bought a tractor and went to put the insurance in place?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I got a quote from the insurance company that advertises here on EO, they gave me a quote of around 1500.00 per year, I have not obtained a CDL yet.
Would I be hit with a surprise of not being able to obtain insurance once I obtained the CDL, bought a tractor and went to put the insurance in place?

$1500 per year???
What was that insurance for, exactly? (policy limits, deductibles, coverages, vehicle, scope of geography covered)
Maybe the above was a typo?
Regardless, do your due diligence when choosing an insurance company, as some are happy to take your premiums, not so happy to pay any claims.

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Yea, $1500 for ins sounds really low. I would definetly double check what exactly this covers and such. I may not get the best deal, but i pay more than that for bobtail/full coverage( not cargo) on my 01 str8 trk going thru OOIDA. Times are tough right now for str8 jobs but when things are good then they're really nice to run around in.

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Sup, Lexington. Been h*ll getting out from down there in the past couple months for me. Hope u've had better luck. I pay 200 a month for bobtail+replacement cost+liabiliaty. Cargo is another 350 or so cuz I carry a little higher limit for a few reasons. I'm up in Columbus,OH now so im hoping for a decent start to this coming week although the weather is going to make life tough. Even LTL has dried up to the point that its tough to find 2 to match up. Used to be able to pull it off most of the time but the rates on that has fell off too. Saw one last week offered at 150 bucks for 1000 mile trip. Not even worth the trouble of a P/U and drop. Hibernation is starting to sound better and better.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Congrats on the CDLs! It is always good to have options

Training:
If we go on with one of the 'big' outfits that are still hiring (Werner, Swift, Covenant, Roehl), we are going to be apart. Could be 1 month, maybe 3. Everyone except Covenant, and I have not been able to find one single positive thing said about them. Training in expedite truck consists of the orientation at FedEx, and then get our butts to work..

My wife and I drive a D-Unit w/ FedEx. We just met a couple who said he got on with Swift and became a trainer just so he could train her. She was thrilled that they could drive together and get the required training at the same time. They bought their Swift tractor and signed on with the Fed as an E-unit and seem very happy. I don't know the details, but sounds like it could be one option for you.

Money:
I have talked with one other H/W team for this same o/o, and she says they could consistently make over $1k per month doing what they are now. She sometimes doesn't, but mostly due to laziness...

I have re-read this several times and unless it is a typo you are saying they average "over" $1,000.00 per month?? I certainly hope that was meant to be per week because I think $12,000.00 per year is officially poverty wages.

Dogs:
I have four. Yes, I said 4. Big sleeper, no problems. They all travel well, and have extensively. If I go to work for one of the big truck outfits, I get one or none, depending on company. That means I pay someone to sit my dogs a few times a day while they are at my home, alone. That costs money...

WOW. Talk about throwing a wrench into the works. We used to do rescue work and have fostered 3 dogs at one time and they required a lot of attention. Hate to think of them hanging out in an empty house. We actually had a family member live there with them if we had to be away. Good luck on that challenge and thanks for taking care of mans best friend.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. We have made the choice to run expedited. My mom-in-law is here for the weekend, and someone inadvertently omitted telling her that she may be living in a truck with a stranger for a month or so. Oops. Wife's in the doghouse, so to speak. Had a good chat with the owner this morning. He and his wife are coming off the truck, and if not mistaken, she is off to missionary work.

Addressing everyone's questions:

Wages: Yes, I meant per week. However, $12k a year beats what I made last year.

Dogs: Mother-in-law is going to take one, stepson is taking one to his dad's, and we're going to travel with two. One has one paw in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Good dog, it's just his time, IMHO.

Class A: Not sure if I understood the poster correctly. We do have our class A.

Reasons for our decision:
1. Mother-in-law. When she's happy, all is good. The training thing was big for her, and as much for me. I did not get married to be away from my wife, period. She is my partner in so many ways. The woman has traveled to hell and back with, for, and because of me.

2. Shortness of time from start to money: Orientation is 3 days, and we're off to work immediately after that. Hardest thing for us, I believe, is knowing which load offers to take, turn down, make sure the truck owner remains profitable, and therefore, keeps us earning. Also, deciphering the c-link. I'm sure we'll get it.

3. Sleeper. Yes, it played into our decision. Consider driving a POS mid-roof sleeper that's 60-70", or a full 96" sleeper. No brainer, IMHO. If I am not going to be in my bed, I want comfort.

4. Dogs: Yes, I love dogs. I get to keep them in the family. Very important to me. My handle says it all.....I'm a veteran dog handler.

Regarding the one poster's comment about the plan we had before we entered school: We had 4 prehires returned prior to us starting, and 3 are no longer hiring. Fourth is actually Covenant, but I can't find anyone with something nice to say about them. One is a fairly sweet gig, 'husband and wife division', that does nothing but round trips from west michigan to south texas a few times a week hauling produce. Home every weekend. No openings, maybe layoffs....bummer.

Again, we made our choice. We are praying we made the right one. Again, I thank everyone for the input. I look forward to seeing you all on the road.

AJ/K9