I'm gonna get crushed

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Are u still in the game. Our end game is to work together to learn. Eventually for both buy trucks separately and o/o. We both understand its not a get rich profession. He has been driving and sonetimes sleeping in one ton van. We have worked together for awhile also. Still not living in a truck but we can't possibly know until we try.

Grap your personal stuff and live together for a weekend in the home bathroom. If you both come out alive, then you should be good to go.;)
Better to know than not.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you all so much. This info is invaluable not only to making a decision but I can only think this info will be a invalueable to the success of ones future endeavors. Bob in response to the bread route after that fiasco anything involving a contract a laywer will look at for me. They write them so I always want someone on my side looking out for my best interests. These contracts are writen to benefit the company and really the company only so I am extremely cautious to sign anything now. Its life you learn from ypur failures as much as success.

If you drive for an owner, there will be two contracts: one between the carrier [ie Panther] and the truck owner, and one between the truck owner and the driver. The first you need to be very familiar with, but it isn't one you can request or negotiate any changes in, because you aren't the contractor. [Important to remember, because in case of dispute between you and the owner, the carrier will generally not get involved to help you out.] The contract between the owner and you is the one you would want an attorney to check. Also, if you've agreed to drive and take possession of the truck, it's smart to do a very detailed report of the condition, inside and out, noting anything you don't want to be held responsible for at the end. You may never need it, but better safe, right?
There are plenty of decent owners to drive for, so if you normally trust your instincts, it shouldn't be hard to keep from being taken advantage of by the ones who aren't so decent.
When you connect with a good owner, you will of course return the respect, and we'll have another success story to smile about. :eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you really want to do it right you live together for one week in a walk in closet. That's your sleeper. You get two army cots for the bunks. You put a dining room chair just outside the door. That's the "driver's seat". You study all the HOS rules so you can be legal in the driver's seat and sleeper. You sit in the driver's seat for 10 or so hours per day while you are driving. You take one break somewhere along the way to refuel your truck. You maybe take one more short break for a pit stop. During one or the other of those breaks you can go to the kitchen to nuke something for a meal or slap together a sandwich. When your drive time is finished and your partner takes over you go into the sleeper. After 8 days with 70 hours under your right foot you should know if living in a walk in closet while sharing it with someone else suits you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You can try LDB or DaveKC's 'rehearsals', but I don't think it would really solve the biggest question: can you work through a disagreement without either causing mayhem, leaving one of you stranded, or dissolving the partnership as soon as you get home?
Because there will be disagreements, over when/whether to go home, accepting or rejecting load offers, and all sorts of issues. It's important to be able to compromise, to negotiate, and to work it out without creating any lingering resentment that will bubble up later.
It's a lot like being married, lol.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Drivers like you are what owners are looking for. Anything ever happens to your situation you better call before you do anything else. We would put you in a truck in a minute !!!!!

Sweet! Can I have the snazzy one with the blue fenders?

Just kidding!
But thanks for the vote of confidence, it means a lot. :eek:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Cheri says it's a lot like being married.

I ran team with a few different guys at Roadway.
I never had them come in the shower to wash my back.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About this thread. I have been reading and looking at this forum for awhile now. I drive a box truck locally for a smaller shipping company I also owned and operated a bread route (not the right fit) my friend (friends for long time and used to be roomates years ago) also works driving a one ton van for same company. We are seriously considering teaming up and doing straight truck expediting. We would want to drive for an owner first. My question is can non-same household teams make it. I know making it is all relative. We are both go getters and will work together very well and are extremely motivated. He almost went to panther in his van before this company. This company is just not concearned at all for our well being as owner operators at all so its time to move on. As stated we are wanting to drive for an owner first as entering business with a huge truck payment and inexperinece is prob a recipe for disaster. Any advice direction would be a huge help. Thanks.

Do you own a box truck? Why not clean it up and put it to work vs getting a new truck. Your friend can also use his cargo van as well. I would use what you already have, and save the money for the bigger truck later if you decided to stay with expediting

You both can join the same or different carrier. It doesn't matter, once you become an expeditor, the whole country is just like your backyard. You will definitely cross path with each other frequent enough.

Just a thought:)

djc109

Rookie Expediter
I do have a box truck 16' with liftgate. I'm running for a local company but waaaaay to much deadhead **** is killing me. I'm on a 60/40 I pay fuel and get fcs. I'm just not getting quality or quanity that works for me. He is in same boat. But in van.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Here's a contrarian view.
First of all, expediting isn't rocket science. You both are already making deliverys and pickups so you know how to do that. You can learn about good and bad areas, deadheading, rates and HOS by reading this website. Your biggest challange (my opinion) will be living on the road with each other. This will either work or it won't. I don't think tests or practice will have any baring on it.
Neither of you have any heavy financial comitments, so this might not be a bad time to buy a truck. You don't need all the bells and whistles to start with. If you shop carefully, you can get a decent truck for $20,000. If pairing up doesn't work, one guy can drive and buy the other out or you can lease it to someone. If you own, or are buying, the truck it will only have two mouths, not three, to feed. If your goal is to own trucks, why not just get on with it. I do agree that spring is the optimum time to start.
Get familiar with https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/. Learn the rules and regulations and what it takes to get your own authority. With the ability to broker your own loads, you can sign on with several carriers and brokers, and find your own customers, once again sidestepping middlemen. This is the way I started but I wouldn't reccommend it for a single. With two of you, one can mind the computer and phone while the other sleeps. Another good website is Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association, Trucking Association
Many come on here, full of ambition and the desire to be the greatest expediter of all time, but most seem to disapear pretty quickly. Expediting ain't Hollywood. There is no glamor and the money diminishes while expenses keep rising. You may do OK sitting in a parking lot waiting for the qualcom to go off, but to do well, you need to be proactive, make some contacts and seek out business.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You guys drive me crazy.

This is the second person, both intelligent long time posters, to bring up getting your own authority to this relative newbie.

It's way too easy to get authority. People get it, don't know the business or their costs. So what do they do in MANY cases. Bid cheap, trying to stay afloat, until they go bust. Ruined dreams, lost savings and credit.
They're gone and someone takes there place.
Constant turn over of low cost start ups.

And people wonder why we have depressed rates.

It's ok to attempt to do it and prosper. Wait a few years until you get a real feel of the business. As much as it changes there are some smart, experienced people having a hard time getting a feel for the business.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If one is minding the phone & computer while the other sleeps, who's driving?
Seriously: if finding your own loads were that easy, most of us would be doing it. I don't think it would be such a breeze for someone with little to no experience in expediting. Plus, the multi carrier model works for a cargo van, but most straight trucks will be limited to one carrier, if leasing with any of them. Some carriers [esp Panther] will allow drivers to find their own loads, [taking 15% for their assistance], so that might be a way to get into it, if that's what the goal is.
Another thing: being the owner means paying for the repairs, so buying a used truck for $20K could end up costing a whole lot more - it depends on the knowledge of the person buying the truck. A truck that keeps breaking can wipe you out, or even just make you look 'unreliable' [which would have the same result, for a newbie].
I'm sure there are some who can absorb everything and hit the ground running, but I wouldn't assume just anyone can. It's not rocket science, but it's pretty expensive if you pick a bad carrier, or truck. Or overestimate your ability to find loads that you can run at a profit.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You guys drive me crazy.

This is the second person, both intelligent long time posters, to bring up getting your own authority to this relative newbie.

It's way too easy to get authority. People get it, don't know the business or their costs. So what do they do in MANY cases. Bid cheap, trying to stay afloat, until they go bust. Ruined dreams, lost savings and credit.
They're gone and someone takes there place.
Constant turn over of low cost start ups.

And people wonder why we have depressed rates.

It's ok to attempt to do it and prosper. Wait a few years until you get a real feel of the business. As much as it changes there are some smart, experienced people having a hard time getting a feel for the business.

True dat!
There are also some smart, experienced people who earned the snazzy truck with the blue fenders, [Tom & Tina's] so it can be done - just don't bite off more than you can chew too fast.
As Turtle says: slow & steady wins. [Except when you arrive at the consignee at the same time as another truck - then you try to go real fast!];)

Attachments

• tom & tina's truck.jpg
    tom & tina's truck.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 24

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri, The guy sleeping does the driving because the computer/telephone minder is busy drinking beer. Expediters must be able to double task.
In my previous post I did not emphisize the importance of enough capitol or financing. Looking back, I remember replacing the injecter pump in my third week for over 3 grand.
No place did I say finding your own loads after getting your authority was easy. I did say that it was easier for two than one. My problem was finding time to find the loads and still get some sleep. In general I would say I had more loads for more profit than I would have had signed on to a single carrier. But, I worked a lot harder.
Zorry, I'm sorry I drive you crazy. I do agree that a lot of stupid, irresponsible bidding goes on but I don't think it's necessarily new people. A little time on the Panther outside carrier load board would show stupid bidding by experienced expediters. I think one month of operating with your own authority will give one a "better feel" for the industry than a year of driving for a owner at one carrier.
Again, my post is my contrary opinion to the tone of this thread which seeme to purport that there is only one way to become a expediter. I readily agree that having your own authority or even owning your own truck is not for all.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The cool thing about this site is its a good place to ask questions we share our knowledge whatever it may be, and yeah, sometimes we stir up the poo pot, and on occasions get into a piszing contest on a topic or two.

Welcome and good luck
Bob Wolf

LOL, Bob's predictions just hit the spot:)
I think all responses are productive. If I was going to make a strike at an unfamiliar territory, I am going to scout every inches of that territory. I will look at my available resources, my strength, limitations, and my knowledges of the opposing factors. When all areas are a "GO," I'm in. If not, more research and askings.

Yep, all inputs here on the EO are very, very valuable. I'm still in the business because of this. Thanks for your constant carings :):)

djc109

Rookie Expediter
Once again everyone. Thanks so much my orginal plan was to go it alone as in my buddy and I start our own thing. My brother who is a mensa genius and is retired at 43 was going to help on the business end without getting paid. He has nothing to do all day. He would mind the computers for us and things like that. With that said I still am leaning towards working for an owner first because of the things I can't possibly know or read on a message board. There are in any business risks and unknows that's why I was leaning towards signing on with someone. Yeah will I not make a bunch of money I can accept that as losing money or gaining valuable experience and knowledge.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Work at least a year for an owner with a reputable carrier and with a good reputation with his current and past employees. Learn everything you can about freight lanes, good and bad locations, busy and slow times, best repair shops (even if you hopefully don't ever need them) and everything else you can learn.

Once you have that experience then possibly get your own truck and work at least another year on your own as an O/O contracted to a good reputable carrier. You'll learn a lot more as an owner that you won't learn as a driver.

After that year (minimum) then you might look into getting your own authority and signing on as an outside carrier with a few of the major players. If what I understood from someone doing it is correct, they email load offers so they aren't waking you up when you need to sleep. It can work well for someone sharp who treats expediting seriously as a business. Many don't treat it as a career, they treat it as a paycheck. That won't work long term.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A little friendly advice concerning the "get your own authority" approach ... Don't assume the path to establishing partner carrier / broker relationships is a simple turn-key process. For those with newly issued authority, expect to encounter a waiting period of several months before some brokers will do business with you. Anticipate a lack of interest from prospective partners ( including companies who advertise on this site ) in working with small carriers.