If you need help finding backhauls, I may have found a solution.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
I have a tractor pulling a dry van. So, I get a load. It goes somewhere that is not near one of Panther's hot spots. Once unloaded, do I sit or do I drive 300 to 400 miles to the nearest board that says I might have a fighting chance of getting a load in the next century? Either way I am wasting a lot of time without a revenue stream. What I have been doing is deliver the load and then take a day or two to wait until Panther finds a load for me or I find a backhaul through my own efforts. This approach still eats into my revenue stream by not staying productively running. The solution seems to be to keep a steady flow of loads.

In that light, I have found a young - well not so young - lady who has been doing dispatch for nearly ten years. You just tell her where you will be on what day and she will start calling you with potential loads. You call the broker/shipper, agree to terms, and book the load. She is relentless. She will inundate you with potential loads until you get something that works. You drive, she finds the loads, you book the loads. You end up with significantly less down time. For her efforts, she charges a modest fee per load for loads she helped you find. If you think she could help you, send me a message and I will give you her phone number. She might be able to help you in this time of economic upheaval. Every little bit helps. Best to all of you.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You may have gotten your last load if you don't edit out that part about not so young. :D

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Interesting, but why pay someone to do something you can do yourself, Panther gives you the tools, all you have to do is apply them. Take the money you plan on paying her and invest it in internet service(write-off) and with a laptop you can do the same thing...buy you a $30 printer(write-off) and print the page with the loads that are coming out of the area you are heading to and call them yourself while driving that way...bascially what you are doing now...Panther will provide you with usernames and passwords to use their accts for free, but you will also find other sites that are worth the money.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Interesting, but why pay someone to do something you can do yourself, Panther gives you the tools, all you have to do is apply them. Take the money you plan on paying her and invest it in internet service(write-off) and with a laptop you can do the same thing...buy you a $30 printer(write-off) and print the page with the loads that are coming out of the area you are heading to and call them yourself while driving that way...bascially what you are doing now...Panther will provide you with usernames and passwords to use their accts for free, but you will also find other sites that are worth the money.

Good point Pat, I could do the same thing if everyone called me too. lol But I would only charge 25.00 per load.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
print the page with the loads that are coming out of the area you are heading to and call them yourself while driving that way

Then when you're released from the hospital or jail after your wreck from looking at papers and phones rather than the road you can attempt to dispatch yourself again.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I have done the affore mentioned and it is difficult to find loads for cargo vans. Dreammaker....can this person find loads for cargo vans as well? thanks.:)

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
You know, I tried that approach. I have internet access, a laptop, and a printer. Here's the problem I found. In today's environment, you can't print out a list of potential loads, start driving, and then call the brokers for the loads. Unless the loads are really paying below average rates, they will be gone in minutes. So, what's a guy to do? I guess you can deliver a load and then take a day or two finding the next load. Or you can have someone find the potential loads for you. She only gets paid if she helps you find a load that meets your requirements. Case in point, today we went through 30 to 40 loads before I found one that paid an acceptable rate. This week I have actually made more than I usually do relying solely on Panther to find expedite loads. She has found me loads with very little deadhead - same city for cons and next shipper - and no sitting for several days wondering if I will get a load.

But to each his own, if your current approach is working for you, then you certainly have no reason to pay someone to help you find a load. However, if you want more business, using someone to help keep you running might be a useful tool. It sure has changed my attitude about this month and the coming year.

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
If the charge isn't too much, I think its a great idea. The only way I can keep up with the load boards is to be sitting at my laptop. You are dead on that the good loads go quickly !

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Then when you're released from the hospital or jail after your wreck from looking at papers and phones rather than the road you can attempt to dispatch yourself again.

Funny Leo...I guess you have never looked away from the 10-2 position on your steering wheel, never dialed a phone or looked at a map...BUT if it eases you mind at all I have one word for you...Co-driver. It is one of the pleasures I have and currently used my above mentioned procedure and am working a real nice dedicated run till the first of the year, not too bad lil over 1700 a day for 1056 miles, 6 trips a week, most of the time carrying about 1200 lbs...enjoy the holidays...see ya in Jan.:cool:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was just picking on you a little bit. I like 9 and 2 better actually, somehow seems to be more natural. Everyone looks away from time to time I'm sure, not to mention when you aren't looking away and realize you don't fully remember the last few miles even after looking at the road.