If Trump gets his wish....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have any considered your future if Trump manages to shutdown a lot of Mexico imports which will also mean exports as well and the effect on expedite? ..almost nothing out of the border towns? You'll all be begging for them, what you chide as shorties, just to make your van payment...
This over crowded business will be compressed even more and competition even more brutal...with rates dropping even more....

Reactions: Opel2010

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have any considered your future if Trump manages to shutdown a lot of Mexico imports which will also mean exports as well and the effect on expedite? ..almost nothing out of the border towns? You'll all be begging for them, what you chide as shorties, just to make your van payment...
This over crowded business will be compressed even more and competition even more brutal...with rates dropping even more....
At the rates vans are getting out of there who cares. Just because it's a bigger pile of crap doesn't mean it's worth doing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the rates vans are getting out of there who cares. Just because it's a bigger pile of crap doesn't mean it's worth doing.
That is very true...but "what if" you take them vans now at border and throw them back into circulation other places? doesn't that again squeeze what market there is and a good chance the border rate will become the new rate say TN to Mi rate on a regular basis?...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is very true...but "what if" you take them vans now at border and throw them back into circulation other places? doesn't that again squeeze what market there is and a good chance the border rate will become the new rate say TN to Mi rate on a regular basis?...
In a normal supply and demand world, yes.

But this isn't a normal world.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the border shuts down, there will be no loads going down there.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Happy Dance ...

hauling freight from a Pond near you
ZWNE6.gif

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all the free trade deals Mexico has with the rest of the world...they will still build cars there and need parts.

If the loads OUT of Laredo disappear....then my rate TO Laredo just went waaay up. It will be like Denver or any other outbound expedite black hole.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all the free trade deals Mexico has with the rest of the world...they will still build cars there and need parts.

If the loads OUT of Laredo disappear....then my rate TO Laredo just went waaay up. It will be like Denver or any other outbound expedite black hole.

If they shut the border down, then no parts will be going to the border towns.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If that happens, it'll affect only those border towns. Other than that, no. Eventually we'll get rid of those cube vans, since they "live" for and through long runs only. They won't be able to stay in business doing Minnie Mouse runs at the rate they're paid.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Agree. Supply and demand. If the Mexican imports become too expensive, it will start a source somewhere else. Not much to worry about. Same stuff, just a different location to run it from.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I remember a time when freight did not come easy from the boarder towns.fuel was half what is now and the rate per mile for any type of unit was always greater than the cost of 1 gal of fuel .so with that said maybe if the borders would close we could make america great again.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well...I stopped those runs on my own and doubled my per mile rate. I don't think you guys have paid attention to the falling rates in expedite vs local...