Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have a 2008 hino 258 with 110K on it ,it has a rattle in the engine until it reaches full operating temperature . It also has an occasional idle misfire cold .My local dealer has struggled mightily in the past so I would like to get some insight before I talk to them . Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Check the intake throttle valve for a loose plate or worn shaft bore. Do not attempt to tighten the screws. If it's loose, try and hit a mailbox with it on your way to the dealer for a new one. Modify the new one. If your current one is good, modify it.
upload_2016-3-22_22-43-38.png

The numbers here are metric. You're gonna drill three 3mm holes in the plate 6.5mm from the bottom edge, one in the center, two 20 degrees apart in either direction.

And/or you need a set of injectors. Cold weather shenanigans and misfire are possible symptoms of failing injectors.

Where are you located?

funkychicken

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the help , I live near Cincinnati Ohio . I would love to be able to count on my dealers expertise but they struggled the last time I had it there and ended up bringing someone in from Michigan to fix it .

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the help , I live near Cincinnati Ohio . I would love to be able to count on my dealers expertise but they struggled the last time I had it there and ended up bringing someone in from Michigan to fix it .
Now that's dealer support, bet that cost someone hope not you!

Brian Williams

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Hey Greasyshirt....

I have a 2016 Hino 338 ( under 20k miles) For some reason my driver says the accelerator is unresponsive at times and then comes back to life. Done it for the last week or so... he says he taps brake, sets accelerate on cruise and nothing, then about the time he is pulling over, it becomes responsive again. Any ideas

On a side note... we have from day one experienced the cruise disengaging when driving on bumpy roads. We assumed it to be sleepy driver sensor or something. Any way to desensitize that function? Lots of bumpy roads in OK, that we travel and the cruise is almost useless. Any chance related ?

Love the truck buy these two gremlins have us puzzled.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey Greasyshirt....

I have a 2016 Hino 338 ( under 20k miles) For some reason my driver says the accelerator is unresponsive at times and then comes back to life. Done it for the last week or so... he says he taps brake, sets accelerate on cruise and nothing, then about the time he is pulling over, it becomes responsive again. Any ideas

On a side note... we have from day one experienced the cruise disengaging when driving on bumpy roads. We assumed it to be sleepy driver sensor or something. Any way to desensitize that function? Lots of bumpy roads in OK, that we travel and the cruise is almost useless. Any chance related ?

Love the truck buy these two gremlins have us puzzled.
Brake pedal switch adjustment, no doubt. Twist to release, press in a few notches, twist back to lock it in.

Either that or it's the one on the relay valve. Check pedal switch first.

Brian Williams

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Not totally familiar with switch and or location. Any place to get a pic or diagram to send to driver on the road.. He is currently in NH, I am in TX.

BTW... thank you for the quick response and the forum itself...

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Not totally familiar with switch and or location. Any place to get a pic or diagram to send to driver on the road.. He is currently in NH, I am in TX.

This is a clutch switch, but it works the same way.

Attachments

• 1458754155702.jpg
    1458754155702.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 18

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Here's the brake switch in question. The white button on the end needs to stay pressed in while driving.

Attachments

• 1458754291876.jpg
    1458754291876.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: scottm4211

Brian Williams

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Would this also make the accelerator unresponsive at times even with the cruise not set... Says he lets off accelerator , then pushes back down and nothing. Like when approaching a car or something. even when not touching the brake, just lets off accelerator and re-accelerating.

funkychicken

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
my throttle plate is already modified and doesn't seem sloppy . I was expecting it to be closed but it's open about 30%.I gave the same description to local dealer and he started talking about oil analysts and rebuild , Yikes.To be honest I'm a big fan of Toyota/Lexus and Hino ,just my dealer doesn't specialize in Hino.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Would this also make the accelerator unresponsive at times even with the cruise not set... Says he lets off accelerator , then pushes back down and nothing. Like when approaching a car or something. even when not touching the brake, just lets off accelerator and re-accelerating.
Yes, this is extremely common.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
my throttle plate is already modified and doesn't seem sloppy . I was expecting it to be closed but it's open about 30%.I gave the same description to local dealer and he started talking about oil analysts and rebuild , Yikes.To be honest I'm a big fan of Toyota/Lexus and Hino ,just my dealer doesn't specialize in Hino.
This seems...unreasonable.
Sure, have an oil analysis done.

Brian Williams

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I really appreciate the insight.

Driver gonna limp through the first leg of his trip and make the adjustment after his deadline delivery. Just in case he messes anything up.. Got him a little scarred on the "don't manhandle it or the anchor clip will break" comment.

Thanks again and if ever in Wichita Falls, TX... I owe ya a beer !!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I really appreciate the insight.

Driver gonna limp through the first leg of his trip and make the adjustment after his deadline delivery. Just in case he messes anything up.. Got him a little scarred on the "don't manhandle it or the anchor clip will break" comment.

Thanks again and if ever in Wichita Falls, TX... I owe ya a beer !!
Tell him to hold the brake pedal up slightly with his foot, at least until he gets up to speed.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Tell them to do an 'SCV test'. Email you the .txt file. Then forward it to me and I'll graph it.

While you're at it, get them to email you a complete 'DX report'.

If you're dealer doesn't know what this is, call the HinoCare hotline and file a complaint.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another Thank You to Greasytshirt. There all weekend. New DOT bumper, New body to chassis bushings and took apart air compressor and re-assemble. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.