Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sounds like an issue I had with mine, was the tensioner making the noise, but there wasn't anything wrong with it, the belt was the wrong one, and it had stretched a little. The tensioner was reaching the end of its travel causing the noise.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
That sounds like an issue I had with mine, was the tensioner making the noise, but there wasn't anything wrong with it, the belt was the wrong one, and it had stretched a little. The tensioner was reaching the end of its travel causing the noise.
A forum member stopped by the shop a few weeks ago. One complaint was belt squeal. A few shops had looked at it, had replaced the belt and tensioner, no change. Somehow these shops hadn't noticed that the idler pulley had vanished. It had been like that for a while.

That fix was pretty straightforward, lol.

Hino, not CAT C7.

For the running Freightliner M2 in my yard with 485k on its CAT C7, time is running short. It smokes some, sometimes pretty bad. I know it has at least one tragically bad injector. It may have low compression on one cylinder. The non-running M2 that's been chilling here for over a year may have an injector or two donated to the cause.

The owner of the non-running truck has been consistently screwing over the owner of the running truck AND me, so something something karma, something redneck justice. Or something. Maybe. We'll see.

Jonathan

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, I've eliminated the belt as the issue. Seems like the bearings failed in one of the tensioner pulleys.

I can't seem to get ahead of this truck, everything is falling apart one piece at a time. I also have to reinstall the external wiring harness this week, as a couple of the wires had melted together and we're shorting out one of my injectors. Ran it like that with a bad miss for 2 weeks before discovering that it was a simple short circuit. Possibly causing damage to the number 3 cylinder

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey greasytshirt,
A friend of mine has a 2007 Hino, not sure of model. Is there a low coolant sensor on these? They say a loud alarm for low coolant sounds from the dash only when turning to the right. And the radiator is full. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Heck that's ez overflow bottle is low and fluid is sloshing to the opposite side of the sensor when turning

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heck that's ez overflow bottle is low and fluid is sloshing to the opposite side of the sensor when turning

Could be. I haven't seen under the hood. Never drove a Hino either. I'll ask them about the O/F reservoir.
Thanks

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a low level sensor in top tank of rad. If rad is full, then sensor is bad.
That was my first thought too. tknight suggested the overflow reservoir may be low, and I don't know where the sensor is on these. I'll tell them to have that sensor in radiator checked. Thanks

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oops! Posted in wrong thread. Ice, we did a liftgate assist and the driver had on tank top, matching beige shorts, sandals and a FedEx hat which qualified him to say he had on Fedex clothes.
Went to a pu at a convention center. The low cost carrier was asked by the customer to close his doors each time he wheeled a pallet into the building. He told the customer no. He didn't get paid enough to be opening and closing his doors on this very secure freight.
After 12 hrs I got a proper rate to go pick up the freight after the show.
I got a message to be extra nice to the customer as the trusted partner carrier had po'd the customer at initial delivery.
I let them know I am always nice to the customer. And you get what you pay for.
You'll soon figure out all that matters is cost. Customer service is secondary.
The fact they can't control the uniforms shows they aren't interested in spending the time or effort to present the image.
If I bump into you I'll tell you about the women walking her dog in the WG customer's landscaping in her PJ's.
And the two guys having a hard time getting loaded in their dirty red van because neither spoke good enough English while sales thought it'd be a CC truck serving their valuable customer.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, but not in a dock.
Truck was in a public parking lot and the pallets had to be wheeled far into the venue.
Driver was probably ticked but you need to service the customer and take your issues to the carrier.
Probably time to get back on topic.
So what's wrong with your M2 that we can fix in this Hino thread ?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yeah, but not in a dock.
Truck was in a public parking lot and the pallets had to be wheeled far into the venue.
Driver was probably ticked but you need to service the customer and take your issues to the carrier.
Probably time to get back on topic.
So what's wrong with your M2 that we can fix in this Hino thread ?
The subject is now M2 air conditioning, AKA the worst designed system ever, except maybe Caterpillar C7s.

funkychicken

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have a 2008 hino 258 with 110K on it ,it has a rattle in the engine until it reaches full operating temperature . It also has an occasional idle misfire cold .My local dealer has struggled mightily in the past so I would like to get some insight before I talk to them . Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Status
Not open for further replies.