Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
The only thing im aware of that has similar functionality is some Bosch software that cost 10k. Cummins is also very proprietary. You might be able to see some live data on different scanners, but there are some specific functions that need access to succesfully troubleshoot stuff on the emissions side.

Someone on craigslist in the tools section has an interesting deal going.

So you wouldn't suggest a nexiq? Or would I just need that software for Cummins to troubleshoot?
The good thing about cummins, is they have the quick serve site, which allows codes to be looked up as well as it tells what the code is and how to fix it, I used a scanner to pull a code, and found out it's a sensor, related to the aftertreatment, but I want something that I can use on both my trucks, and future trucks, that can do everything, I really don't want to step foot into a repair shop unless it's because I have a major problem that I can not do on my own. I found a nexiq for 1k current model, but I'm not sure if there's an additional fee for cummins, Hino, Alison, like snapon for medium duty it's an additional 900 fee one time payment unlocks software for all medium duty is nexiq like that or are they different? I also found a brand new snapon for $2500.
What area is the craigslist person in? Or if you have a link that you can pm me.

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
There's a Chiense website called. Www.aliexpress.com. I've seen the software and computer port modualar (the thing that plugs into the truck) for hino's only but they were under $900....

I've heard of aliexpress, I was trying to avoid getting a Chinese model, and instead opt for one that would work on both my trucks, and save me the headache of having to go to a dealer each time I have a light on, as well as be able to diagnose transmission and any future truck that I get. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Reactions: FlyingVan

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
The nexiq is just the interface. Youre talking about the USB-link, right?
No I'm talking about the prolink iq or the snapon prolink. I'm trying to understand if I buy the prolink if I would need an additional software or license for each truck/engine.
Would you recommend the prolink iq, or usb link/ Bluetooth link?
I pretty much just need something to work with both Hino, and other trucks, as well as be able to access engine, transmission, abs, brake codes, and any other code that may pop up. What would your recommendation be?

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
No I'm talking about the prolink iq or the snapon prolink. I'm trying to understand if I buy the prolink if I would need an additional software or license for each truck/engine.
I pretty much just need something to work with both Hino, and other trucks, as well as be able to access engine, transmission, abs, brake codes, and any other code that may pop up. What would your recommendation be?
I don't know what the best option is off hand. Id have to do some research.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Diesel Truck Diagnostic Tools (Dealer Level)!!

Jimmie G

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Just wondering if anyone else has had defective turbos on 08-10 J08's? I run a fleet of 23 338 defrayed had 2 of my 2008's turbos die of mechanical failure. Replaced them and VNT failed within 1000 miles on both. Hino covered both but wanted codes and protection data on second. Luckily I have dx2 with repro they paid it after sending the data. Must be having a problem. These were both new turbos not remans.

floridawheels

Active Expediter
Just taking a moment to publicly thank Greasy T for all of his help.

I am a o/o on the very tightest of budgets and he has been an invaluable aid to me in my efforts to keep my Hino running and without his help I'm not sure I would still be in business.

Thank you, {EDITED}. Thank you more than you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BillCMAT

Robert Bremner

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
hey guy thanks for replying i have check and double check all fuse but still nothing. the truck starts and idle just fine just won't select into any gear the little red light just keep flashing next to gear lever
that just happened to me today and it was the 40A alternator fuse its the fuse box behind the cab top row I think its the 3rd fuse in

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
that just happened to me today and it was the 40A alternator fuse its the fuse box behind the cab top row I think its the 3rd fuse in
He figured it out before I did. The idle knob was all the way up. The Allison ecu won't let you neutral bomb the transmission, the idle speed with the knob turned up is 1100 rpm.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Just taking a moment to publicly thank Greasy T for all of his help.

I am a o/o on the very tightest of budgets and he has been an invaluable aid to me in my efforts to keep my Hino running and without his help I'm not sure I would still be in business.

Thank you. Thank you more than you know.
I appreciate that quite a bit. Keep 'er rollin'!

Robert Bremner

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
He figured it out before I did. The idle knob was all the way up. The Allison ecu won't let you neutral bomb the transmission, the idle speed with the knob turned up is 1100 rpm.
Hello greasy thanks for the reply I have bin on this site for a few days and it looks like you are a very liked guy and a lot of smarts for Hinos.Just a little about me I have a tow company and im on my 4th hino 338 to my fleet and love them, I bought my 4th to take it apart to get to know them more so if its alright if I have any questions I can keep in touch??

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello greasy thanks for the reply I have bin on this site for a few days and it looks like you are a very liked guy and a lot of smarts for Hinos.Just a little about me I have a tow company and im on my 4th hino 338 to my fleet and love them, I bought my 4th to take it apart to get to know them more so if its alright if I have any questions I can keep in touch??
Sure thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.