Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

igor

Rookie Expediter
I remembered some details!

The link you posted is the system protection data. It shows maximum DPF temps. Inlet is lower than outlet, which is good (there's not an airflow problem through the engine). DPF outlet is getting pretty high. This could be from some injector degradation. However, the truck still should have regen'd automatically, and it should have been able to successfully manually regen.

The following applies to 2008-2010 trucks only.

Without being able to see soot amount, the following advise is at your own risk, ok? First, is there a lot of soot in the tailpipe? If so, the DPF is already damaged, so might as well do some experiments on it. If not, remove it and blow a ton of compressed air through it, rear to front. Don't breathe the soot. Expect an impressive cloud. If you remove it and it's burst like a tick, well, you need a new one. And since the thing had the recall done on it, you MIGHT be able to get parts warranty on it if it is damaged.

Now that we've theoretically removed some excess soot, and the DPF appears undamaged (hopefully), start the truck, warm it up completely, set rpm to 980. Using data monitor, record injection quantity. Turn on exhaust brake. IQ should go up 12mm3 higher. If it's too high (frequent issue), adjust the stopper bolt that the brake contacts when the brake is on. Leave the other one alone. Back bolt out to lower injection quantity.

Shut off engine. Turn key to ON position.

Go into system protection data and reset DPF inlet and outlet max temps.

Clear codes. If P2002 won't go away, go to activation test menu (the one where you can set engine rpm and turn injectors on and off), and select RELEASE REPEAT OFFENSE. This will allow a hard set code to go away. Clear codes again.

At this point, I'd generally go to the ecu customization menu, change pm amount to 3 (which makes the truck demand a manual regen) and then I can go into Data Monitor and look at the parameters that I want to look at. Since you haven't discovered that option yet (this program is confusing) or it doesn't exist on your version (fleet version???), the only option you have is to use the DPR Check function.

NOTE: if this is an actual problem with whatever versions of Hino DX are available to the public, fixing an 11-14 conventional with a burner issue is going to be extremely frustrating.

Go to DPR Check. Click start test, then hit CLEAR DPR HISTORY. This should reset the DPR graph to zero bars. Start the engine.
Select MANUAL REGENERATION. Push the regen button on the dash. The rpm will rise to 980. The exhaust brake will close. The injection quantity will rise. It will rise higher than the total injection quantity that you calculated earlier by a few numbers (to take into account the post injection that's putting fuel into the oxidation catalyst, which sits directly in front of the DPF (they share the same canister). Once the DPR inlet temp hits 400 degrees, the DOC lights off, and temps start climbing fairly rapidly. The inlet temp will first overshoot (to maybe 1100 or so), then settle down to around 1030. Watch the outlet temp. It'll lag behind inlet temp for a while, then start rising. When the DPF is clean, it rarely goes over 1000 degrees. If it's soot loaded, it'll continue going up in temp. Sometimes startlingly quickly. If you see it really ramping up super fast and it shoots past 1300, hit stop test (or turn off the engine). If this happens, restart the engine and let it idle for a few minutes and try it again. A slow climb up past 1200, maybe into the 1300 range is ok. It may run for quite a few minutes. It may have a light colored smoke come out of the tailpipe, which is normal. The differential pressure may be 4-5, but it should gradually decrease to around 1 or less. You may have to regen it like this a few times. Go back to system protection data, see what the DPR inlet and outlet max temps are now. Outlet should be below 1485, preferably a few hundred degrees below that.

IDK if the version of DX you have will allow you to change the PM calculated amount in the ecu or not. If not, this will be difficult to accomplish. The next step is to monitor DPF inlet and outlet temps, boost pressure, mass airflow, ITV command and actual (%), DPR differential pressure During an automatic regen. The temps will go higher, but outlet should be hotter than inlet (if there's soot left to burn, anyway). Setting the PM amount to 2.5 will put the DPR graph at 3 bars, and it will start to do an automatic regen almost immediately after you start driving. Yes, the laptop you have DX installed on needs to ride too, preferably by you while someone else drives. The battery needs to last for at least half an hour. The exhaust brake should be left off all the time, except for when it's needed.

This would be a heck of a lot easier to demonstrate in person. I should make a youtube video or something.

I'm gonna need a lot of time to absorb all this. Thanks a LOT. I'll post how it turns out with the DPF.

Unfortunately, the whole week I am fighting with DX. For some reason I can't get Data Monitor working, it gives me an error of "Invalid Pointer" when I set up parameters in Monitor signal and click OK (seems like some DLL or Library or System Module is missing or something)
I tried four different laptops, different OSs, etc.. The only place where its working is my pc at home (that I can't take with me in a truck) and it is the same installation files and everything. Going nuts..

Maybe somebody has a solution for it. Please let me know

Wraytechs

Seasoned Expediter
I'm gonna need a lot of time to absorb all this. Thanks a LOT. I'll post how it turns out with the DPF.

Unfortunately, the whole week I am fighting with DX. For some reason I can't get Data Monitor working, it gives me an error of "Invalid Pointer" when I set up parameters in Monitor signal and click OK (seems like some DLL or Library or System Module is missing or something)
I tried four different laptops, different OSs, etc.. The only place where its working is my pc at home (that I can't take with me in a truck) and it is the same installation files and everything. Going nuts..

Maybe somebody has a solution for it. Please let me know
What OS's have you tried? using Nexiq? what version do you have?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What OS's have you tried? using Nexiq? what version do you have?
They initially said dx only worked with xp, but others have said windows 7 works fine. You can download the latest drivers off of the Nexiq website. Im running whatever the latest version is.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
In case no one noticed, I really, really like sorting out regen problems. A lot. It's like my favorite thing.

johnc74

Seasoned Expediter
I am having a new problem with my 2006 Hino 268. I just had a turbo replaced and after I picked it up, it ran fine for a little while (hour or so on the road) then it started losing power in the higher gears (auto so around 3rd or 4th). It seems to run ok until it gets up to operating temp and even then will run great up to about 35 mph, but then starts falling off and running bad especially on hills etc. No check eng light. Changed fuel filter a couple times but cut the last one open and it was clean. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I am having a new problem with my 2006 Hino 268. I just had a turbo replaced and after I picked it up, it ran fine for a little while (hour or so on the road) then it started losing power in the higher gears (auto so around 3rd or 4th). It seems to run ok until it gets up to operating temp and even then will run great up to about 35 mph, but then starts falling off and running bad especially on hills etc. No check eng light. Changed fuel filter a couple times but cut the last one open and it was clean. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
It's very common to have debris in the fuel system, and it'll cause a restriction that can seriously reduce power, sometimes without a check engine light. This is where I'd start looking. I've described some methods to do this in this thread.

Popov

New Recruit
Hi, I have a 2006 Hino 268 and my coolant warning light keeps on coming on. When the engine is cold it stays on and when it warms up the light keeps on going on and off, especially if I'm entering a curve on the freeway. I have checked the coolant leave and it is topped off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and let me know if you need any other information on the truck or it's condition.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi, I have a 2006 Hino 268 and my coolant warning light keeps on coming on. When the engine is cold it stays on and when it warms up the light keeps on going on and off, especially if I'm entering a curve on the freeway. I have checked the coolant leave and it is topped off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and let me know if you need any other information on the truck or it's condition.
The coolant level is initially low. As it warms up, the level rises and the alarm turns off.

Does the coolant properly return to the radiator via the overflow bottle?
Did the hose on the bottom of the overflow bottle cap fall off and is now inside the recovery tank?
How old is the radiator cap? Might want to replace that just because.
Are there any leaks?

Popov

New Recruit
Thanks greasytshirt, it seems like the coolant is not returning to the overflow tank properly, I will replace the radiator cap and the return lines for the overflow tank

Maxx

Seasoned Expediter
The 2011 Hino 268 i have is unable to regen. The check engine light is on and the DPR maintance light is on as well but the regen does not work. I have tried to press the regen button but it does not respond. The truck has two active codes P244B (Excessive DPR differential pressure) & P141F (Burner System Malfunction).

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The 2011 Hino 268 i have is unable to regen. The check engine light is on and the DPR maintance light is on as well but the regen does not work. I have tried to press the regen button but it does not respond. The truck has two active codes P244B (Excessive DPR differential pressure) & P141F (Burner System Malfunction).

Is the DPR graph at ten bars? If so, there is nothing you can do without Hino DX diagnostic software. The button will not respond.

If it's lower than ten bars, stick your foot under the accelerator pedal lift slightly, and push the regen button again. Did it react? Sometimes the accelerator pedal sticks down just a tiny bit. Accelerator pedal can not be touched while doing a manual regen.

The other thing to be aware of is that P244B and P141F are generic codes. There are specific codes in the burner control unit. Hino DX is the only thing I'm aware of that will communicate with the other computers.

Maxx

Seasoned Expediter
I will check and let you know tomorrow when i get back to work tomorrow morning. I think it is at 10 bars. I do have the Hino Bowie software it is of any help?

Maxx

Seasoned Expediter
It does have the DPR check on after running for few minutes. New codes showed up. P2030, P0410, P141D, P2441, P244B, P141F.

Status
Not open for further replies.