I WANT TO BUY A TRUCK....

BlazingSky

Expert Expediter
Hi. I want to buy a 24' box truck, automatic with a liftgate, 3 years old or newer, but my credit is not too good right now. I've tried everything I can to get a truck, but all the inquiries have brought my fico score down. Nobody will give me a loan, and I don't have cash. Does anybody know a dealer or somebody who can help me? If you do, please write me and let me know. Or if you're rich and want to be a good samaritan and help somebody improve their life, then I'd love to hear from you too! (LOL) I'd be willing to pay you interest. I know that's a crazy thing to ask, but you never know who will read this. Write me at [email protected]. Please make the subject line really obvious (Like "Box Truck"), so I don't think your message is junk. Thanks. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a little too late for you but for anyone else reading this maybe it can help. Whether you're shopping for a D unit or cargo van or convertible only let one person pull your credit score and get it from them before you leave. They have to give it to you if they've pulled it, at least in most states. As already pointed out, it lowers your score a little bit every time it's pulled so you only want it pulled once for shopping purposes.

After the first place tell the others my credit score is approximately XXX and don't fill out a form for them. Tell them to work it up based on that and it will be very close to what the final numbers are going to be. If they won't work with you based on that tell them you'll walk. They almost always will because they don't want to lose sales. Good luck.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would wait alittle while as more repos and private sellers are giving up their trucks. You may be able to do a lease purchase through a private seller as an option. Make sure you understand what you are signing! If it is your first time, spend the couple of hundred dollars and have an attorney review. Many banks what X number of years experience before giving you a loan.
You best bet in my opinion is to drive for a fleet owner prior to making a large investment.
There will always be a truck for sale somewhere. Don't go into this with blinders on.
Davekc
owner
20 years

BlazingSky

Expert Expediter
Thank you for posting a reply. I knew that every time I had my credit pulled, that it would bring my FICO down. But the dealers always INSIST that they won't tell you if they can do something for you unless they pull it! - even if I offered to give them my FICO or even my credit report. Oh yeh, they’ll “look” at it, but then if it’s good enough, they say that the have to pull it themselves.

Even though I kept hearing "no" from everyone, I thought there would be SOMEBODY out there that could help me, but there isn't.

Fortunately, after doing a little research on the internet, I found a company that does expediting, and they have lease-purchase programs! They are the ONLY expediting company that I could find that does this. It's called Try Hours (tryhours.com).

I searched for somebody who did this last year, but couldn't find anybody. I wish I'd known about this a year ago. I guess it's all a matter of typing in the right search words on the internet.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Again more for those who haven't been there yet, it's common for them to say they can't and won't do anything for you unless they pull your score. You will hear that every time. Get up and head for the door. They'll suddenly figure out a way around it to keep you there a while longer. If they still give you grief tell them straight out "You have to sell that vehicle but I don't have to buy it." and most of the time they'll work with you. A few won't and those you just walk out on.

Specifically for your last post, be very careful of a lease purchase arrangement. There are numerous horror stories of lessees getting into a truck and doing great until about 2 or 3 months before they pay out the lease and own the truck. Suddenly the company doesn't have any work for them and they lose the truck and the next guy gets into it to repeat the process. You hear it more on www.truck.net forums probably because there are so many more tractors under a lease purchase program. The warning is probably still a good one though to not lease from who loads you. In any event good luck to you.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would look at a Company called Expedite Solutions out of Indy I've seen alot of posts about them. But is has been awhile since I've seen anything on them.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Try Hours is not a lease purchase.You just lease the truck from them.If i remember correctly you get 58% of your gross for the week.But you have to pay for fuel etc.Also every time you use the com card they give you it costs you $7.00 to use it.Also the sleepers on there trucks are very small.
Whitewolf 53}> }> }> }>

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You would be better to drive for an owner.
You will need at least a 60/40 split and a good fuel surcharge program, or you will go broke with the fuel prices. (if you are paying)
If you are paying for the fuel, you should expect no less than 100 percent of it.
I don't believe that ES pays 60 percent. If it is any less than that, forget about them. You can do much better.
Of course, that is just my penny in the pond
Davekc
owner
20 years

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I might Be Wrong I thought ES was doing a Lease to Own Deal. If I'm Wrong then Somebody Slap me.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Could be
You still need 60 percent of the gross revenue regardless
Davekc

poopookitty

Expert Expediter
That law has been in effect in Texas for at least 20 years, which is as far as I can remember back. One free credit report annually. I believe it applies to all of the major credit companies, not sure.

Have A Poopy Day!

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Blazing Sky:

You want to buy a truck and get into business and you don't have any cash.

Gee what is wrong with this picture. Do you personally know of anybody that is successful in business, when they enter into it UNDER CAPITOLIZED???...I don't.

You should have a minimum of $10,000 in your business account AFTER you have purchased your truck, (if its going to be used).

No offense intended SKY, but sadly, you're the type of business man that make the Repo guy"s REALLY REALLY REALLY HAPPY!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm LETS SEE NOW, you have a poor credit rating and no cash?? Yep makes sense to me..

;-)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Davekc and The Good Guy have given you the best advice for your situation. The vast majority of small business start-ups fail because of under capitolization. I have met many in expediting who are just one breakdown away from losing there trucks, and usually it's because it took everything they had just to get the truck. If you've read much on this site then you know that this can be a very fickle business. I have a background in OTR trucking but was out of it from '91 'til '98. When I decided to go back, I started driving for a guy who had three trucks. During the month I worked for him, I learned just how on the edge his financial situation was. And, it was exactly what we are talking about. I moved on to Expediting, he went bankrupt and got divorced. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

BlazingSky

Expert Expediter
Thanks for everybody's advice. I don't really like the way GoodGuy put it to me - he didn't have to be so demeaning. I already knew what he told me in such a rude way :(. I had several thousand dollars a few months ago, but it's all gone now thanks to all those dang truck dealers who kept "promising" they were going to help me get a truck! Day after day, and week after week went by and then several months and nothing happened. Finally I gave up, and now all I got out of that was my credit RUINED! I knew all the inquiries were going to bring my credit score down, but I took a chance because I thought there would for sure be SOMEbody out there who could help me. Yeh, I tried AlumiBunk...I tried about everybody, I think. I already have copies of my credit reports - I'm using a credit repair company, so I see my credit reports often, and I have copies of them from all the credit reporting agenies.

I think I have some good news though:)....Nations Express out of Charlotte, NC is in the beginning stages of putting together a new purchase program. It's the first time they've ever done this, and all the details should be worked out in the next three weeks. If they can help me get into a truck, I'm going to do it, because nobody else has been able to help me :(.

By the way, I didn't know some companies who let you lease/purchase their trucks screw the owner/operators two or three months before the truck is paid off so they lose their trucks - that's really, REALLY BAD!!! :( Why are trucking companies so bad to people?...so dishonest and mean?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>By the way, I didn't know some companies who let you
>lease/purchase their trucks screw the owner/operators two or
>three months before the truck is paid off so they lose their
>trucks - that's really, REALLY BAD!!! :( Why are trucking
>companies so bad to people?...so dishonest and mean?

because life is a beatch,and then you die.
x(

chaz

Expert Expediter
I dont know of "Nations Express's" purchase program,but I am signed on with them with my cargo van and really enjoy it there.Starting to get more buzy also.

Have you thought of driving for someone while you get your credit in order? They have a classified section here with someone always looking for drivers.
Good luck to you!
Chaz

BlazingSky

Expert Expediter
Somebody from another company (Panther) contacted me, and told me he is always looking for drivers. I am waiting for Nations Express to come out with their new purchase program. I talked to Jeff there about it a few days ago. I CAN'T WAIT! I'm going to call him this Friday to see if he knows anything yet.

As far as my credit problem goes...well...that's going to be a looooong time before that is straightened out - IF ever.

Hey! I found a new company that I wondered if anybody has heard of. It's called GLEI (Great Lakes Employment International). They are out of Green Bay, WI. They hire people to go overseas. They have several locations available in other countries. You DON'T HAVE TO go to Iraq. But they have openings in Europe, Thailand, Africa, Egypt, China, and many other countries. You get a one-year contract. All your food, room and board is paid for. The lowest paid CDL position is supposedly $90,000, and only ten-thousand of it is taxed because you're working in another country. You can go to Africa and drive all over the country for a year, then when your contract is over, you could go to Italy, and then when that's over, you could go somewhere else. You work for one month, then take two weeks off. That means you would have time to do some traveling/sightseeing on your own. I don't know if this is all for real, but if it is, then you could really pile up a ton of money, pay off your bills (in my case, my credit problems) and come home and buy a house with cash out-right, a new car, and still have a stockpile of money. Here's their website: http://www.glei.info/online_application.htm

Tell them you heard about it from me. I'm going to send them my application and see what happens. If anybody else does it and gets hired, and actually gets plane tickets to somewhere, please let me know.

As far as that comment made by that guy above about "life is a beach, and then you die." All I have to say is, the whole world would be a much better place if there weren't so many mean jerks in it.