I Need Drivers Advice

gregsr40

Seasoned Expediter
O.K. I have been reading the posts here for some time now and everyone has been very helpful.I have taken the advice that people have said about driving for someone before you go and buy a C/V or straight truck,however the problem is that I can't seam to get a job driving for someone or some Co.I went and got my CDL"A" with HAZMAT,TANKER,PASSENGER still nothing.I have a very good work history with letters of Ref.to back me up.I did drive a straight truck for 5 years,however that was some time ago.I have no tickets,no TROUBLE with the law and I feel that if I was doing the screening for some Co.that a person with my back ground would be a very good risk to take on.
I went so far as to go to the first Workshop in Knoxville so I could a feel for the life.And I don't mind spending some money to get me started.Can someone tell me or show me what the hell(sorry)I need to do to get started---I really need some help!!
Thanks
gregsr40

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are patient an opportunity may present itself..OR if you have available resources buy your own van (no less then 5 yrs) and dive into the deep end?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It sounds like you've done what you need to, and with some experience & a good MVR, there must be some reason you're not getting anywhere - have you placed limits on your availability, or maybe expressed a preference for specific equipment or places you'll go? :confused:
Have you replied to any 'driver wanted' ads here?

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Have you looked at the free classified ads here on this site under driver wanted there are ads there of owners looking for drivers? and did you put in applications with most or all of the companies?

gregsr40

Seasoned Expediter
Bobwg the only ads I see all give 800 numbers--they tell me that for a driver only position they will pass it on--still nothing.Did I do them all --No--

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Greg: a quick glance at the classified 'driver wanted' page shows an ad "Cargo van with Panther" - the man who placed it [Richard] is one I know, [in fact, he installed the bunk, bulkhead, & etrack in my van years ago] and I can vouch for his honesty.
If you haven't looked there, the individual owners are quicker to reply than the carriers...

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Top of the page click on Free Classifieds , then click on Drivers Wanted , you will see list of owner ads looking for drivers and they have regular phone numbers not 800

gregsr40

Seasoned Expediter
Update--First let me say thank-you Cheri.I called Richard and we talked for about 30 min.He told me that I should call him back on Wed.that he should have more info. for me then.
I must say that just by talking to him That I am hopeful we can work something out,if not no hard feelings Richard was VERY helpful.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Glad I could help, that's [some of] why we're here - if you stay long enough, you'll help someone on down the road. :)

gregsr40

Seasoned Expediter
That's my plan to stay here for as long as I can and maybe just maybe give a some help when I can.Thanks.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Question, if you have a Class A, with nearly all endorsements, why are you going to drive a sprinter??? Go team with a big co., get some recent otr experience. Then go solo and/or be a driver/trainer and roll. No offense to sprinters, but u got all that on your CDL? or- Drive for a sprinter owner, then move up to a straight truck, then move up to 18's. Or, if you can shift and drive and your license is clean, go drive for a local O/O. Dig a little, ask around, you should be able to find somebody that'll let you drive something with size. If you don't get back in an 18 soon, your skills will get rusty and you'll end up having to take a refresher course for insurance reasons. If you put even as little as 3 to 6 months into an 18 you can be home every wkend with some carriers.... once you have that "recent otr exp." that nearly all of them like to see.
Do you want to own your own truck? and operate it yourself?
BBB

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If you went to school for your cdl,that school should be able to place you with a company.No one is going to hire you without experience