I need a sprinter mechanic in the Kansas area. No dealerships. All recommendations appreciated.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I checked for you. The favorite sprinter tune from Green Diesel Engineering seems to be discontinued. That also came with a backup of your factory tune with the new tune, which you applied yourself.

Malone, if you need it after. (But I'd agree, engine replacement should have nothing to do with the ecu)

Unless, they want to "relearn" all the new components like injector #'s

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernBill

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sorry that I'm not understanding this exactly. Your saying the tune as it was will still be there? Nobody will have to make introductions between it and the new engine? Somebody mentioned above that they thought it might need to be retuned. Somebody also said I should go to Linden in Golden though- perhaps someone is shooting at me after reading how he feels about this in Sprinter Source.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Honestly, with real world experience - if you reinstall the engine and plug everything in correctly, it will work.

The factory way of doing things would be to relearn those components which changed.

If they are swapping everything from the old engine, nothing will change to the computer. The block and pistons have no relearn

Some shops, including that one in Colorado, will program injector # and such (because of course they would recommend new injectors on such a job) or other sensors which can be entered.

My take: not that important, and I've got access to a dealer level tool for my Sprinter and played with it. I couldn't tell the difference.

How about: you just get the engine swapped, and see what happens. They are fronting the cost. The absolute worst thing that can happen: you have to send your ECU out for a bench flash, and it gets replaced with a factory tune. First thing YOU do is take your sprinter home and reflash it!

99% this won't happen

(Sprinter source has a high number of purists that worship the 3 pointed star like their Mecca)

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your saying the tune as it was will still be there? Nobody will have to make introductions between it and the new engine?
Yes, and yes

Besides which, your tune retains all of the programmability of the factory tune. With certain emissions entries edited out

Colorado and California have mobile emmissions testing, California being more sinister with their units being parked alongside the silly "fruit inspections" on entry. Personally I don't go to either state, but I would cross Colorado in a pinch. This would have applied to you, engine replacement or not. But you knew this when you got the "tune"

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
(To flyingvan post) specifcally how deleting the dpf def swirl valves and egr don't translate into being able to use an old style diesel oil, or even epa exempt motorcycle oil.

Here in Canada they even import oil from markets that don't have DPF/DEF but its pricey. Epa wouldn't approve of anything here...

If you delete all those emission and hack off the dpf you can use any oil you desire. But the majority of what that guy says in his article is baloney. 10w60? 5k or 3k oil changes?

As a side note, my 2004 Sprinter currently has 790k miles. Nothing has been deleted, oil changes every 15k and my turbo is still original along all the other things except an injector and the egr valve.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you delete all those emission and hack off the dpf you can use any oil you desire. But the majority of what that guy says in his article is baloney. 10w60? 5k or 3k oil changes?

As a side note, my 2004 Sprinter currently has 790k miles. Nothing has been deleted, oil changes every 15k and my turbo is still original along all the other things except an injector and the egr valve.
Ah ok. I don't live in Death Valley either and mentally converted 10w60 to 15w40 rotella (1 million trouble free miles in my 7.3) as for 5 k oil changes, with dep/dpf and short trips of an average driver, he might be on to something. Most don't hop on the highway for hundreds of miles like we do, but simply drive 20 miles across town...

My take away was oil formulations, not necessarily viscosity that high. But ESP formulations scare me, and EPA meddling

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just something to keep in mind, while I'm reading all the previous posts ...

When we talk about "Sprinters" we're talking about different series vans. Different engines & systems ...

This guy has a 2016 ...

Apologies if I pointed out the obvious ..

Reactions: brokcanadian

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
122K on my 2017 Sprinter 170E and no def issues as of yet. No idling, pure diesel to NO more than 5% Biodiesel and always topping off the def tank with Peak Def fulid at every fuel stop to every other fuel stop!

Do what MB tells you to do and you shouldn't have a problem so soon. This is my second Sprinter and the def didnt go out until 250K. We will see on this one.

Reactions: ntimevan

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Pal I've been there I just drove from Benson Az to Dallas Tx with a EGR Value stuck open.No shop in El Paso got to Dallas they told me it be two weeks before they could get me in.Don't get me wrong this my fourth sprinter and you have to enjoy pain to drive one.If you are in Knoxville Tn,I found a shop that I was happy to get know these folks.When we find shops across the country that can or well work on Sprinter we need to post them here.Call Michael Schaffer at Knox Speed Diesel 865 474 1480 his cell is 865 755 8304. 227 Sherway Rd Knoxville 39992. They also do special tune ups that help some issue our beast of burden need to keep us the road.When the M/Benz service writer that working on Commission tells you that EGR Value cost you $2900 to replace you kick the dust off your boots and deal with honest people who work for a living get the job done.

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update: Engine arrived today. I told the kid to take note of what sensors were unplugged and just leave them that way if he could. Other stuff... I just don't know. He got new injectors with it, thought he might have to plug them into a computer and talk to them (as usual) Let the show begin I guess.