I need a sprinter mechanic in the Kansas area. No dealerships. All recommendations appreciated.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At this point I would document everything. The service manager might have a memory loss.
This shop in Toledo, OH has been real good for me.
Sprinter parts & more LLC
419 304-9996

Reactions: danthewolf00

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
5w40 full synthetic right?
DM said he knows they are responsible. JL will buy me a new engine, and pay for a rental vehicle etc.
I've found a local shop to do the install and they found a new engine 14,000 for everything, which, Northern Bill (#greatly appreciated) Toledo SP LLC said was a steal. I have to wait until Monday to tow in and finalize everything so... please keep fingers crossed everybody. Thank you Grizzly- Reminds me of Missoula.
Also this is the first time I've used this forum, and i really appreciate it. Just the contact at a time like this. Thanks

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
DM said he knows they are responsible. JL will buy me a new engine, and pay for a rental vehicle etc.
I've found a local shop to do the install and they found a new engine 14,000 for everything, which, Northern Bill (#greatly appreciated) Toledo SP LLC said was a steal. I have to wait until Monday to tow in and finalize everything so... please keep fingers crossed everybody. Thank you Grizzly- Reminds me of Missoula.
Also this is the first time I've used this forum, and i really appreciate it. Just the contact at a time like this. Thanks
More proof that EO works......

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oil should be Mobil One 0w30 esp. or MB synthetic from dealership.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

This sounds like a very positive turn of events!

If I may ask, which shop is doing the install? Is it a shop that works on Sprinters? Like a German Auto kinda place, Mercedes dealer, Dodge dealer ... ? Have you made them aware of the tune to your vehicle? Again keep in mind, I believe the tune may be engine specific. You may have to purchase the software again and reinstall it on the new engine. Idk, gotta ask the tune shop.

Treadmill is correct. They've phased out the 5 weight oil for 0 weight. It's supposed to slightly improve fuel mileage. The IMPORTANT part of Treadmill's reply are these 3 letters - "ESP". You can't simply use 0w30 synthetic oil. It HAS TO BE the ESP formula. I also recommend Mobil, you can get it at Napa. That's the low ash formula I referred to earlier. When I made the remark about jiffy lube not having the correct oil, this is exactly what I meant. I very seriously doubt they stock it.

I encourage you to read your owners manual cover to cover. If you're going to log serious miles on a Sprinter, you have to pay careful attention to small details! Don't substitute any fluids or take cheap shortcuts. Use exactly what Mercedes calls for.

Wayne Rodd "The Sprinter God" .. as he's known in some circles, is one of the best contacts you can have. You can start contributing to his boat payments like some of our members.

Sprinter-Source ... use it!

Get an Ultra guage or scan gauge ii ...

I have the pleasure to pass through Missoula more often than most. I love it up there! I favor the Town Pump on the west side of town. It's not the greatest station by any means .. but just something comfortably familiar about it.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The vehicle is tuned, which I suspect has a dpf/def delete. No ESP oil required any more. Any 5w40 oil will do at this point.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The vehicle is tuned, which I suspect has a dpf/def delete. No ESP oil required any more. Any 5w40 oil will do at this point.

Great message!
This is a bit beyond me ...
I had the same thought right after I posted the reply. Not sure why I didn't think of it before. Are there any other engine components that would require the ESP formula?
I need to do some more research myself ...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Great message!
This is a bit beyond me ...
I had the same thought right after I posted the reply. Not sure why I didn't think of it before. Are there any other engine components that would require the ESP formula?
I need to do some more research myself ...
I heard that those stupid swirl valves need it but who knows.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I heard that those stupid swirl valves need it but who knows.
I haven't heard that, but usually when someone deletes the dpf, they delete all of them: dpf, def, egr, swirl valves.

As a side note, I wonder if the 2.1 liter 4 cylinder even has swirl valves. The v6 is the one you hear about swirl valve issues.

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

This sounds like a very positive turn of events!

If I may ask, which shop is doing the install? Is it a shop that works on Sprinters? Like a German Auto kinda place, Mercedes dealer, Dodge dealer ... ? Have you made them aware of the tune to your vehicle? Again keep in mind, I believe the tune may be engine specific. You may have to purchase the software again and reinstall it on the new engine. Idk, gotta ask the tune shop.

Treadmill is correct. They've phased out the 5 weight oil for 0 weight. It's supposed to slightly improve fuel mileage. The IMPORTANT part of Treadmill's reply are these 3 letters - "ESP". You can't simply use 0w30 synthetic oil. It HAS TO BE the ESP formula. I also recommend Mobil, you can get it at Napa. That's the low ash formula I referred to earlier. When I made the remark about jiffy lube not having the correct oil, this is exactly what I meant. I very seriously doubt they stock it.

I encourage you to read your owners manual cover to cover. If you're going to log serious miles on a Sprinter, you have to pay careful attention to small details! Don't substitute any fluids or take cheap shortcuts. Use exactly what Mercedes calls for.

Wayne Rodd "The Sprinter God" .. as he's known in some circles, is one of the best contacts you can have. You can start contributing to his boat payments like some of our members.

Sprinter-Source ... use it!

Get an Ultra guage or scan gauge ii ...

I have the pleasure to pass through Missoula more often than most. I love it up there! I favor the Town Pump on the west side of town. It's not the greatest station by any means .. but just something comfortably familiar about it.

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a shop specializing in Sprinter fleet repair. After my conversation with the folks I gather that they have the correct tools and experience for a job like this- however I did not mention the tune. Several other shops in the area did not like my tuning language and so I thought it best to wait until I speak directly with them on Monday (Perhaps it's an issue over the phone when I could be anyone- not just an expediter who made a terrible choice) or walk away hoping their not offended as they figure it out.
I couldn't find anyone who I knew would help me.
So there is that.
There is also a question of them being able to get it running ok without the programming. I just don't know.
There is also a question of finding a new tuner to supply the programming after the motor goes in assuming these fellows don't know anyone or don't want to. Mine has absented himself from the scene.
Then the bile all of this creates within me.

So- I'm only halfway there. Maybe a third or less.
At least no one is shooting at me. (I hope)
I'll continue the saga after tomorrow. Any thoughts?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
(To flyingvan post) specifcally how deleting the dpf def swirl valves and egr don't translate into being able to use an old style diesel oil, or even epa exempt motorcycle oil.

Here in Canada they even import oil from markets that don't have DPF/DEF but its pricey. Epa wouldn't approve of anything here...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is also a question of them being able to get it running ok without the programming. I just don't know.
There is also a question of finding a new tuner to supply the programming after the motor goes in assuming these fellows don't know anyone or don't want to. Mine has absented himself from the scene.

So- I'm only halfway there. Maybe a third or less.
At least no one is shooting at me. (I hope)
I'll continue the saga after tomorrow. Any thoughts?
The only issue I can see, is them not wanting to warranty the work due to an unknown tune. (Unless they're so by the book they try and say they can't release the "modified" van by state law)

Of course if you don't tell them, maybe they'll assume all is good, and leave it alone?

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They will have little to no reason to worry about the computers. Explain how the engine got damaged, not the fault of the tune or electronics.
The tune on my 3.0 required no physical changes to the engine. One fuse got pulled, besides the exhaust, that’s it.

Reactions: brokcanadian

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When my duramax was tuned I was given an obd code reader that not only stored the code, but the original stock tune was also on it and could be reinstalled. Do you have anything like that?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Rumor on the street is he might get paroled in Feb 2020.

Reactions: brokcanadian