I need a sprinter mechanic in the Kansas area. No dealerships. All recommendations appreciated.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't used anyone personally in KC but here's a thread from sprinter source ..

Service in/around Kansas City - Sprinter-Forum

Why no dealer? Besides the obvious .. $$$
What's the issue?
There's Linden Engineering in Denver. I have traveled a bit to have him look at my van. Dennis is super knowledgeable but you gotta watch your wallet around him ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermes

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Imo it doesn't matter if it's been tuned or not. Dealers have the diagnostic software. They can still be a valuable resource.
Depends on the issue. They're not going to turn you away because it's been tuned. They see tuned sprinters all the time.

Also if you come on here screaming for help, best to place your pride to the side and explain what's going on. We have members with hundreds of thousands of miles on sprinters. We have a ton of experience ... and we've all been in the weeds at some point or another.

Again, we're here to help if needed. If you have a code reader and engine codes are available, they can help figure out what's going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's the tune. I had the oil changed at a jiffy lube because I thought it couldn't possibly be any easier to change the oil on any vehicle and I was sold the wrong tools. They did a pressure check without putting the full 12 quarts in and now the engine is most likely kaput. My tuner told me to never bring it to a Mercedes dealership. 2016 2.1

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My thought is that if it needs a new engine they won't be able to deal with that without getting involved with the tune, and if that happens maybe they won't give it back to me without untuning it, and charging me for all the parts that go along with that

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oil is a big deal with Sprinters. Many of us, myself included, change our own oil. For a few different reasons.

A few thoughts ...
1. I would never get my oil changed at jiffy lube. I doubt they used the right oil. They probably used some type of diesel oil but not the low ash spec stuff that's required. Consult your owners manual. I use Mobil Mercedes spec ..

2. After each oil change its a good habit to check your engine oil level. I do it each & every time. Even though I've placed the proper quantity in, it's a good way to check for leaks. What if the drain plug or oil filter weren't secured properly, etc. Anyway it's a good habit.

3. On my 3.0 engine the correct quantity is 13 qts not 12. Again, check your owners manual. Pay attention if it states liters or qts. If you've only been placing 12 qts in, there's your problem right there. Running these engines with low oil creates all sorts of problems.

4. If you had a very low oil level, I would think you would get an engine warning light. I don't believe the tune will interfere with that. If it did .. bad choice in which tune was purchased.

5. The guy that did the tune gave you bad advice. There are good shops and bad shops, dealer or not. It's best to do research & find the good shops. Sprinter-source is a very good resource. If in unfamiliar territory, I can always call a shop and ask a few very specific questions to get a feel of its a good shop. First question is, how long have your techs been working on sprinters!? I want the resume of the guy that I'll be hiring to work on my van.

What makes you think the engine is fried? Did it seize? If you need a new engine start hunting for a low mileage used one. Start looking all over the country .... needle in a haystack.

Two phases to a tune ... hardware & software. I believe the tune software is engine specific, so if you drop in a new engine I believe you'll need to purchase the software again. Check with the tune shop.

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's 12.1- quarts.
I think it's kaput because when I tried to drive it off the engine lagged and knocking began almost immediately. By the time I turned around it started making a loud metal on metal banging. That's where I'm at (I've been in uglier spots) I need to tow it for an assessment. But where? You think Mercedes will let me leave with only a new engine if that's what it needs? I'm checking sprinter source.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to find out what the issue is. Mercedes, Freightliner, whoever should be able to run diagnostics on it to figure that out. An hour of diagnostic time should be around $125 or so. You may be at the mercy of your insurance company here; depending on where you can have it towed.

If it does need a new engine, I don't think Mercedes or Freightliner will drop one in because of the tune. Also, have you checked on what an engine will cost through Mercedes? ... Big $$$$$$

Oh, this is a pretty ugly spot. What's the history on this van? Do you own it? Mileage on it? Is it financed, payments ..?

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van. All dealers will report apparently. 118000. Freightliner told me not to bring it in. I won't even bother Mercedes.
I probably have money for a repair, and though I have not consulted a lawyer, the district manager seems to recognize they did this. So my insurance company needn't become involved. I just need to get it repaired. Any ideas?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure what you mean about dealers "reporting"...? Reporting what to who?

I mentioned the insurance company regarding the tow. They might have mileage restrictions as to where you can tow it. Check with them.

How much oil is in the van now? My van will tell me exactly how much oil is short? My oil change interval is every 10K mi. My van consumes 1 qt every 5K mi, which is very typical for this engine. So as I get midway between oil changes, I start to check. The system will tell you. Can you read the amount of oil in there now?

Yeah, what happened at jiffy lube? How much oil did they put in? Should say on your invoice. I would definitely get a lawyer involved.

Thoughts on a shop? Again, just what I previously mentioned ...

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you. That is good to know. That makes me wonder why Mercedes would set the oil change interval at 20,000 miles on their maintenance schedule.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try looking for a stand alone Sprinter dealership, separate shop for vans. Having said that, the dealership East of town treated us fair, a few years ago.
If need be, spending money on a long tow, can be a good investment.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you. That is good to know. That makes me wonder why Mercedes would set the oil change interval at 20,000 miles on their maintenance schedule.

It's a different series van. Mine is a 2008 NCV3.

Sprinter-Source ... lots of reading for ya ..

Das Sprinter is not an ordinary diesel. It's very particular. Taking one to jiffy lube is akin to heresy ;)

Last edited:

Hermes

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will probably do the long tow. Still looking for receptive locals but probing on the telephone has not created confidence.
I know JL is bad but I didn't imagine that unscrewing the filter, draining the oil and filling it back up with a new filter could become this. Really.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will probably do the long tow. Still looking for receptive locals but probing on the telephone has not created confidence.
I know JL is bad but I didn't imagine that unscrewing the filter, draining the oil and filling it back up with a new filter could become this. Really.

There are steps that perhaps you're not aware of. On my van, the oil & fuel filter need to be changed every 10K. The oil filter housing has 2 rubber washers that must be replaced each time. The fuel filter sensor also has 2 rubber washers .. changed each time.

Taking it to dealerships or service centers that know what they're doing saves money in the long run.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, I can say with a high degree of certainty they didn't use the correct oil.