I need a new insurance company...

Neuman65

Seasoned Expediter
I have had progressive for a long time, but they are way too expensive for commercial insurance. Is there a good company most expediters use? Give me a few companies worth talking to? Thanks

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Can't really answer your question as to who "is the cheapest" but I am still sold on CIS which is a progressive agent. Great rates and up to this point, hassle free with any claims we have had.
Not convinced you would get a better deal when looking at premiums vs coverage and claims response.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My insurance was cheaper going through CIS than it was going straight through Progressive.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Commercial Insurance Solutions. They advertise on this site.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
I also have CIS as my progressive agent ,and Tammy is tops in my books.
She has helped me with a couple of windshield claims and made life for my boss 's company a whole lot easier

Remember this:
Cut rate insurance= cut rate benefits

Joe

Sent from my LG-VS700 using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran with C.I.S. about 3 years if you are new and have average coverage needs try them first. The only reason I changed is because my coverage needs changed this spring customer requested coverages they couldnt cover it due to New York States regs. But otherwise they run a good shop. You can also contact my current agent Nancy at the Schultz Group 585 424 1780 she works with several companies. Tell nancy I refered you for a quote..You might need some time in business as a trucking or expedited before signing on not sure of all the details. Its worth the call.

Im not in the insurance busines but, In most cases if you are just starting out expect to pay at least four or five grand a year pluss or minus for a strait truck 100k on the freight, 1 million on the liability and good bodily injury coverage. Yes, thats with a clean driving and safety record and no insurance losses. If you have losses such as dammage claims and wrecks or a poor safety, and driving record it will cost you more. Keep in mind the insurance industry uses your creddit score to jack your rates wich I think is B.S. There are too many variables thats why I use an agent that is in the comercial insurance business.

Heed this free warning, Cheep insurance = poor coverage .

Insurance is never an expense to get cheap with its what reduces the chances of being sued and as a business we are all targets for a law suit. Insuance protects you and pays a B.S. problem to go away.
My same coverages as compared to Progressive is cheaper but, I have had my own authority for five years, and prior to my trucking carreer I owned and operated a construction company for twelve years and Ive been blessed with no insurance claims where I was at fault. No, I'm not braging because we all have the bad day with the big one out there waiting for us.

Good luck let us know how you make out. feel free to P.M. me if you have questions.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

Neuman65

Seasoned Expediter
I think I will give CIS a call. I don't want just cheap insurance... I just don't want to get screwed any longer. My fleet is getting pretty big now & they are raking me over the coals. I like that progressive is convinent, but not worth the big $$

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If youve been running a couple few years my agent might be able to help. How Long you been in expediting and how many trucks do you have on?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's CIS and then there's everyone else. All CIS does is expediting coverage. They know everything there is to know about expediting specific insurance coverages and needs. Going to CIS is like going to Denton Cooley vs. any other. You will get the best customer service with them. They are there when you need them and they have the answers when you need them. I've had them long enough to know their rates are always competitive because they make sure my coverage is tailored to my needs and packaged in the way most advantageous for me. Even if there were a less expensive option out there I wouldn't switch because CIS treats me so well and gives me such excellent customer service. Good luck with your research.

pizzagod30

Active Expediter
I would just like to share my recent experience with my Progressive policy that was purchased through CIS. I am new to expediting and own a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter 170" wb. I was driving to Cincinnati,OH to have a better chance of getting a load there on 9-7-2012,around 1:30a.m. While approaching an intersection,i had a green when i noticed to my right moving very fast. The car hit the back passenger side of my van and it flipped onto the driver's side. When i got out of the van, it was facing the direction i had came from. There were several police there, and they questioned myself and the other driver. No one was hurt so that was good. Also no one was issued a ticket either. I reported the accident to Progressive, and they assigned an agent to my claim. I decided to have my van towed to a preferred shop, as she said they give their work priority. The agent told me they would expedite the work on it to get me back on the road ASAP. Then i got a call from the shop stating that the damage is roughly $20,500 and that they should have it done by the middle of November, but it's not even close to being totaled, in case i was worried about that. It took a minute for that to sink in, and i then said so it's going to take 2 months to get my van back so i can earn a living? He said it was estimated to be 200 hrs. of painting etc. and they calculate it out at 4 hrs. per day. They may have it done a little sooner but the middle of November is the estimated time frame. I then called the agent this morning to see if there was any way to speed this up as i was told it would be expedited? She replied that unfortunately that's the amount of time they figure and it could be done sooner, but there is nothing that can be done to actually expedite the work. So now i am sitting at home in Illinois with no vehicle to expedite with for approximately 2 months and am not very satisfied with the outcome of this so far. I guess i will need to try to find a fleet owner that needs a driver, as i can not afford to sit that long with no money coming in. Have a good day everyone, be safe.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Pizzagod30,have you asked if you have downtime coverage ?

This is a classic example of why the old timers keep saying you need a six month reserve fund.
Some would think,I've got a new van,what could go wrong ?
Be thankful that you weren't hurt.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
From my understanding vans do not qualify for downtime. A lot of that wait time may be for parts. Remember how long it took for TJP's sprinter when he hit a deer....

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you cant expect the ins. provider to demand that this shop give sole priority to your van. they did call to see if they could but the time frame is solely the shop and no one else. i actually doubt that any shop would guarantee a date. i dont know if its available on the sprinter policy but our truck policy came with optional downtime benefit. was that offered to you or do you have it.

another thing, have you checked into why no tickets were issued. someone should be at fault. have you ask your agent to pursue a lost wage claim if the accident was not your fault even though no tickets were issued.

you might try leasing a sprinter month to month. dont know if that will work or not. dont get all po'd at your ins co. they are there to help but can only do so much. you need to do your part also.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When dealing with a new splinter many body parts are not stocked in this country. I bet a lot of that downtime is due to shipping. It certainly isn't progressive fault.

sent from my FISHER PRICE Z100 using EO forums