Hybrid Truck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As I was driving down I90 yesterday, I was passed by an interesting truck, Hybrid UPS delivery truck. It seemed to be in a hurry deliving those green packages to UPS customers.

As I looked for the info on the web, I ran across some work that Volvo and Mercedes (Freightliner?) are doing for class 8 trucks both here and in the EU. Interesting to say the least that they have a few on the road testing the viability of them.

Remember that the EPA, UPS and FedEx claim to have a 50% increase in fuel economy, so that would be a plus.

So today I am wondering what people think about the idea of an expediter type hybrid truck and would any company accept it into their fleet?

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

I would love to see a hybrid cargo van.It would cut my operating expense in half.If the company still paid fsc based on the fleet average fuel cost I'd make a killing.

Plus if they stayed with a 30+ gallon fuel tank I would only have to fill up half as often and I could be pickier about where I fuel.Be great for CND runs.Right now I have to put in about 10 gallons of Canadian fuel at over $4.00 per gallon.This way I could fill up in Ohio at -$2.80 per gallon.

It seems to me that it should be easier to make larger vehicles into hybrids as there is more room for the batteries..I think that the engineers are missing this fact.Also the government should give a weight and size exemption to hybrid vehicles.

I wonder why they don't have solar powered reefer units.A 53'x8' solar panel should create more than enough power.Also you could let the reefer sit longer without having to worry about it running out of fuel.
Good luck

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Can you imagine the negative press if they WOULDN'T allow someone to try a hybrid? I don't think they would put up too many obstacles as long as it would do the job.