Husband and wife team

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
We are husband and wife team. Looking to get into large straight truck. Wanting to Lease purchase possible. Wife had 5 years I have 10 years of 53 foot experience. Wondering where to start. And if need to get endorsement? Wife has tanker I have none. We wanna doing something different. We both have leasing experience. But are company driver right now. Where to stArt we where thinking about fedex but don’t know if there is a better option. Looking at the first of the year to make a change. Thanks y’all

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well with this type of reply I guess this website is useless thanks for letting me know not to wast my time here.
That is actually a great suggestion. And you found it here, so it is not a waste of time.
The Expo will allow you to speak with current drivers as well as different carriers to what suits you best.
There is no one simple answer, but here is a suggestion, if you are looking for lease purchase then you have no truck yet, consider driving for a fleet owner to see if you like this industry before committing to a lease or purchase.

jcoppman

Expert Expediter
Well with this type of reply I guess this website is useless thanks for letting me know not to wast my time here.

If you don't like having a lot of time to "wast", you might just want to rethink getting into the hot shot business at this time.....

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
If you don't like having a lot of time to "wast", you might just want to rethink getting into the hot shot business at this time.....
Well see I never said I didn’t have time to wast. My problem is this is a place to find out info. So if someone asked a question I figured I would got an answer related to what I ask not just go to the expo. That doesn’t answer he questions I ask. Go to the expo is a lazy way of saying No one wanted to answer the question. But hell I guess I just find other ways to get my research dune. No big deal

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well see I never said I didn’t have time to wast. My problem is this is a place to find out info. So if someone asked a question I figured I would got an answer related to what I ask not just go to the expo. That doesn’t answer he questions I ask. Go to the expo is a lazy way of saying No one wanted to answer the question. But hell I guess I just find other ways to get my research dune. No big deal
Most of the replies to your op are Sprinter drivers. That is probably why he answered. The Expo would actually be the place to go as mentioned. There are many companies looking to put you on. Since you live is MS, why not give Expediter Services in Memphis a call. They put drivers in straight trucks all the time. JMHO.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The answer was the best answer possible. The best way to meet a lot of drivers, talk to recruiters, talk to truck sales, and attend workshops to learn more about expediting is to attend the Expedite Expo in July. That networking at the expo will give a LOT of answers that you would not get on the forums. I would suggest driving for an owner to make sure you like Expediting before trying to buy a truck. The Expo is also a great place to meet fleet owners and talk to them about what they would expect.

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Hi Hustelandflow,

Although not expedited straight truck drivers yet, my wife and I are preparing and should be ready in late July or early August. There is a lot of information on this forum, I know I have been able to do a tremendous amount of research just reading thru the forums. If you are able to attend the Expedite Expo July 19th and 20th I would highly recommend it. My wife and I attended last year and will be attending again this year. It is a great opportunity to network with drivers, owner operators, fleet owners and carriers. The information that they can provide has been extremely important to us in planning our new careers. There are some great workshops, round table discussions and an opportunity to see some really nice equipment.

You stated “Looking to get into large straight truck. Wanting to Lease purchase possible." I think that is a great goal and we may want to become owner operators at some point in time as well. We have chosen to drive for a fleet owner where we won't have the financial risk and responsibility of truck ownership while we learn the business. You both have experience driving, don't know if it's over the road, but if so, you have an advantage of knowing what it's like to live that lifestyle. Expedited trucking, however, is a different beast. From all my research I have come to the understanding that it isn't turn and burn. More miles doesn't necessarily mean more money, depending on how you're paid. Sitting for days is part of the game. It's a game of averages, some week’s really good money, some weeks, not so much. This is a business that I would prefer to learn while driving for someone else, driving for someone who is there to help us both be successful. To learn and to grow without the additional financial responsibilities of truck ownership.

Good luck to both of you. Hope in some way this may have helped a little.

Best regards,

Mike