Hunter dies in van

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Zeeland hunter asphyxiates in van, dies

Nov 15, 2012 3:54 p.m.

A

West Michigan hunter was found dead of asphyxiation at a camp site northeast of Ludington Thursday morning.

The 54-year-old Zeeland man was already dead around 8:30 a.m. when Mason County Sheriff's deputies were called to scene on Tyndal Road north of Free Soil Road in Manistee National Forest, according to the sheriff's department.

The death was likely caused by asphyxiation, a preliminary investigation revealed. The man had been using a propane heater to keep his van warm overnight.

The man -- who was last seen alive just after midnight -- had been at the camp with six family members, Chief Deputy Bob Brown told the Ludington Daily News.

The incident remains under investigatio
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

robh2

Veteran Expediter
That's why you need all the same detectors you would have in a home or RV. I hope all of you using propane, I hope you are all using protection. lol...

Robert Henne

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 54-year-old Zeeland man was already dead around 8:30 a.m. when Mason County Sheriff's deputies were called to scene on Tyndal Road north of Free Soil Road in Manistee National Forest, according to the sheriff's department.

Is it just me or do others think the word "already" in front of the word "dead" sounds like the prelude to a denial? I can see the sheriff's department spokesperson: "Yeah, he was already dead when we got there, stone cold dead. We never laid a hand on him, honest. He was deader than a dang doornail."

Anyway, I'm sure glad I don't hunt. I would really hate to wake up dead.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it just me or do others think the word "already" in front of the word "dead" sounds like the prelude to a denial? I can see the sheriff's department spokesperson: "Yeah, he was already dead when we got there, stone cold dead. We never laid a hand on him, honest. He was deader than a dang doornail."

Its just you. :)

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Moot, if your head spins all the way around and you puke pea soup, we'll know that you've been possessed by Amonger.

"The power of making the other 5% look bad compels you!!"

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Asphyxiation" is a tip-off. If he had died of carbon monoxide poisoning, they would have said that instead. Either way, the prevention is to have ventilation. A propane heater like the Buddy uses quite a bit of oxygen, and while most modern heaters have safeties that shut them off when the oxygen level reaches a certain point it's never a good idea to fully trust a machine's safety switch. Open the window a couple of inches. The deer isn't gonna reach in and take your gun.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, if your head spins all the way around and you puke pea soup, we'll know that you've been possessed by Amonger.
My post did seem a bit Mongeresque now that you mention it. I just thought the use of the word "already" dead sounded funny. It should have read: The 54-year-old Zeeland man was found dead around 08:30 a.m.