How's business

jimmc

Expert Expediter
I would like to know the state of the expediting business these days.
I remember another similar forum devoted to the business which I was following several years ago, which painted a very gloomy picture of the business, and made it seem like there was no future in it at all.
I recently came across this forum and there seems to be a whole different atmosphere about things.
I was then, and am now intersted in moving my working life in a different direction, and this business interests me.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Half of the business is attitude, the other half is picking the right company, enough cash reserves whether driving for yourself, or someone else. And of course, if buying equipment, don't get in over your head. If you are able to run as a team, you will do better than running as a single, especially since the new HOS took effect in Jan.
Most of the expedited carriers are at record highs this year.If you look in the right places, there are plenty of great opportunities.
Read as many posts on here as you can to bring you up to speed on the state of the industry. There is also the EXPO in August, if you can attend.
Good Luck

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Allow me to add the word "work." The drivers that stay in service most tend to make more money than those that stay in service less. Your load acceptance practices also enter in.

Regarding your question about the state of the industry, note that whatever the industry state may be, there are those that make it and those that don't. Focus on those that make it through thick and thin. Make them your role models.

The question is not so much, "What is the right time to enter the industry?", it's "Given the industry's current conditions, what do I need to do to succeed as an expediter?"