How would you handle this?

Falconlady13

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We stopped last week at a Cracker Barrel to eat lunch.We parked in a area that did not hinder the flow of traffic.After we finished lunch,I decided to go to the Ladies Room and there were several women in there.One lady(?) and I use the term very loosely,she asked if I enjoyed driving the truck.I told her that I did,that was a great job and allowed us to see parts of the country that we'd probably never get to see otherwise.She had this funny look on her face,and her remark was: I have no respect for a woman who makes all other women look bad because she is trying to be a man...I was stunned by her remark and she quickly left the Ladies room before I could think of anything to say.
I try very hard to remember at all times,that my conduct not only reflects on myself but on the company I'm with.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I dont think there is a good response to what that women had to say. No women with self respect would make such a stupid comment. We all know that you can still be a lady and drive a truck or anything else we want to do. A women does what ever she wants with her own style and her own dignity what ever it may be and you cannot take that away from her.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Obviously the woman feared your reaction or the reaction from any other woman in the room, that is why she made her remark and exited quickly. It was nice that you explained why you liked your job and just didn't say "it's ok", this would give her something to think about later. Good job!

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Even if she had not exited quickly....her comment did not deserve a reply from you. Your silence was Golden!!

kinilu57

Expert Expediter
I am so politically INcorrect it isn't funny, so I would have asked her, "And what is YOUR profession, Madame? Probably the oldest one in the Book!" LOL }> }> }>

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
quote " I have no respect for a woman who makes all other women look bad because she is trying to be a man..."

The only way I see you could be making them look bad is that you're working harder and making more money.. heh heh

It sounds to me like that stupid woman felt threatened by a woman doing a job that requires independence, confidence and personal fortitude, and her only way of justifying those feelings was to acuse you of trying to be a man.

[img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_3_46.gif"]

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

[i]

Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it. (Lou Holtz)
-------------------

[/i]

---------

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd have been stunned into silence too! Only later would I have wanted to ask her: "If I were trying to be a man, what would I be doing in the Ladies' Room?" :p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Any guy who is dumb enough to think that women who enter a room clearly marked "women" are in the mood to be picked up, deserves to be beat on with purses, umbrellas, books, etc - and he should just consider himself lucky that we no longer use those long, sharp hatpins, lol :7

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well after having read what's on the bottom of those purses I guess I'll just mosey on past the ladies room then.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
This would have required no thought at all on my part. I'd have come up with something off the wall like: "Funny you should mention that--BUT trying to be a man?---Actually I'm trying to be a WOMAN and I'm just so excited cause I'm scheduled for the first phase of my sex change operation next week --- Can you believe that? YEP that would have left her wondering!

Pappy
35 years OTR T/T :p :9 :p

Blondie n Dag

Seasoned Expediter
Your silence and shocked expression probably said it all, that is why the hasty retreat from the restroom. She realized she had just shown her ehh.., education to all the women within ear shot. Women have been doing man type jobs, like doctor, lawyer, teacher, farmer, truck driver for a long time. I remember stories my grandmother told of going to the Boeing Plant to rivit and weld airplanes together during WWII. If it hadn't been for some of those women doing man jobs, she might be speaking german or japanese right now.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Here's a good answer to such comments:
"You're free to think whatever you wish."
One time, while Marda and I served as volunteer workers aboard the Mercy Ships, in a restaurant in a port city, a woman asked me several questions about the activities of the Mercy Ships.
Her questions became increasingly argumentative and belligerent.
I answered each question in a polite and nonconfrontational way.
Eventually, though, I became tired of her harangue, so I said,
"If you dislike my answers, then do not ask me any more questions."
She soon shut up.
Best wishes,
Doc.