How well do you sleep going down the road.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
These rough roads,and stops for scales etc. really take a toll on a body trying to sleep in the berth.
What steps have you taken to aid your sleeping.I know some of you can go to sleep at the drop of a hat.My co-driver and I do not fit into that group.
The only thing I have found so far is using earplugs.I cant get her to try them because she is sure they will be unconfortable.
Maybe on the next truck I will spec air ride under the sleeper.Last time I checked it was about 3 grand more.
Do you think dispatchers have a clue of this problem.After an all nighter they see no problem going right out on another.
Sometimes I wish they would go home and fasten a paint shaker to each leg of their bed,so they could get a idea of what its like.
DISCUSS...

expeditesales

Expert Expediter
Just an FYI
All Alumi-Bunk AeroCondos Sleepers have a uni-mount air ride system
installed on every Condo sleeper, this is a standard option. This system is built on a totally independent suspension that cushions both the Cab and Sleeper on a comfortable cushion of air. We can offer this system on our AeroDyne sleepers for around $3,000.00

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Well short of going out and buying another truck, why don't you invest in the best mattress you can buy. My wife and I have had a sleep comfort mattress like you buy at the mall and have had no troble getting the much needed rest a team needs. It's a little pricey, but well worth the investment. Good luck and sweet dreams.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bought an airmattress which I put under the thin mattress which came with the truck, and it was a big improvement for a small amount of money.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have to really be tired to get any decent sleep while moving,noise + bouncing on bad roads and unfortunately every time my wife slows up for something I wake up.
One time we did a cross country run and were really whipped in LA. As soon as we unloaded they wanted us to deadhead to Tulsa,I said"sorry we are tired and will go tommorrow". Dispatcher said "How can you be tired.Don't you have a sleeper"? I replied" Why don't you and a friend drive straight through in your car across the country,sleep in the back seat and see if you are tired when you get there".
Many of them simply don't have a clue to life on the road.:(

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

I have to agree with Glen and Mike that you have to do whatever you can to improve your comfort while trying to rest.
As to the sales pitch, as owners of the above product I would have to say that I sleep no differently than I did with our old truck, if anything, the frustration of owning said product and all the constant problems that go with it will definitely keep one awake, night or day.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Edited to address to Don Portice:

I wrote you an e-mail a couple of days ago regarding issues with Alumi-bunk. Because I am censored from expressing concerns in this public forum, and no one returns our calls from your company, is your position that you are above responding to your customers?

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

expeditesales

Expert Expediter
I have replied to your email
please call me at 800-799-2865
and together we will get to the bottom your
comments and concerns

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife and I
>have had a sleep comfort mattress like you buy at the mall
>and have had no troble getting the much needed rest a team
>needs.
Thanks Glen.This is just the kind of feedback I hoped for.I have seen the ads for Sleep Confort mattress for years.I assume you are talking about the type that fills with air,and is adjustable.I just never heard from someone who actually used one.
I will look into ordering one ASAP.
MANNY THANKS

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
When I used to train new drivers, the first two or three days they had one heck of a time sleeping while rolling - the reason was simple.....they just were not tired enough.:)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>When I used to train new drivers, the first two or three
>days they had one heck of a time sleeping while rolling -
>the reason was simple.....they just were not tired enough.:)

Dispatch and the DOT dosent give a Hoot if you are tired enough to sleep.The log said you were sleeping,therefore you are fully rested.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I first started with my training driver in the 18 wheel I had trouble with sleeping sometimes. I never fully got over it because part of one run we made every week was on roads so awful you literally bounced completely up off the bed. I did get used to it enough to sleep pretty well and could get around 4 hrs sleep out of a 5 hour shift. One of the things I like now about being solo is I can sleep with the noise of the other trucks at the t/s fine and don't have to deal with the movement. Then again, if my honey decided to join me I'd deal with it and be glad to need to.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I ran team for about 6 months and it is a tough thing to get used to but when tired enough it will work out for you. Tie yourself down and close your eyes, sooner or later you will pass out. Nothing really helps. Dispatch has no idea what it is like to try and sllep on a bucking bull. They are warm at home and assume when they come in, you come in. I had to co drivers that never had a problem but I never got used to it. I went out on a team run about two weeks ago and the problem was the same. Two hours sleep over three days. I have found the bottom bunk with a good tie down works the best. When tied down at least you are not always worried about being bounced out and you can just let go. Good luck but I don't think you will ever get used to it.raceman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The truck we ran, a FL Columbia, had a really good webbing system for the bottom bunk. Didn't interfere with you directly at all but no way you were going out of there short of total disaster. That was better than any sort of belt across the body. By law you can only use the bottom bunk when in motion. I put my sleeping bag on top of his made up bunk when it was my turn to sleep. Only used the top bunk about 2 or maybe 3 times in 5 weeks when we were really early to a stop.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
I have not been on a team run in a truck for over two years-but here is my input:FIRST-YOU MUST HAVE TOTAL CONFIDENCE IN YOUR CO-DRIVER,you need to trust his driving, you need to know that HE is rested enough not to doze-off;you need to be sure of a signal when stopping for fuel or toilet breaks(so one or the other of you doesn't get left behind!);if you do not care for second-hand cigarette smoke-make sure he knows-he'll be good enough to open a vent window or to not smoke in the truck;make sure you both know where you are going and what your time schedules are;and,of course, the best mattress that conforms to both of you,such as an adjustable one(I sleep best on cement),so that both drivers get the rest needed to get up and go when the time comes-that's what the companies want:drivers who are like machines that do not have to stop.These were all suggestions that kind of give "peace of mind" tips on truck sleeping,and I hope they have helped.One other thought-earplugs may actually keep you from sleeping,as the mind still lets you sleep,while it is hearing...Paul

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The main issue appears to be the question, how can you be sufficently rested to safely take the next run.

We decide among ourselves whether we feel like running as soon as we drop off the load. If either of us are tired and don't feel safe running, we place ourselves out of service for 5 hours before going back to work.

Yes, dispatch will sometimes send an "are you in the truck message", so now we turn the Clink and phone off when OOS.

Vernon in C2197

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
A low-wattage night light may help,too...you could switch one of the bulbs in the sleeper to a blue or red-just a thought-

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I used to sleep like a baby while going down the road (In the bunk, not behind the wheel :+ ) in our Freightliner with a really good mattress.

When we switched to the HDX Kenworth it was awful! In the sleeper it rode like the truck had square wheels. I think if the sleeper would have had air ride that would have been a major help.

I was thinking a tempurpedic matress would be a help also. That or the select comfort mattress.

No matter what configuration you have from a Mack with a coffin sleeper to a magic carpet I don't think anything would help if you are going through Detroit or accross Arkansas! :D

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Well short of going out and buying another truck, why don't
>you invest in the best mattress you can buy. My wife and I
>have had a sleep comfort mattress like you buy at the mall
>and have had no troble getting the much needed rest a team
>needs. It's a little pricey, but well worth the investment.
>Good luck and sweet dreams.
Well we did it...We ordered our Select Confort Air mattress.Pricey is right.The model I chose was about $450. Carol wanted the one for $800.
Guess who won out.Carol of course.We plan to pick it up around Thanksgiving.Cant wait to give it a shakedown cruise.I will head straight for that stretch of I65 Bettween Louisville And Elizabethtown Ky.Then we will know if our investment is going to pay off.