How to move personal effects

JHC

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moving my own belongings from Ca to Va in my Hino268. I generally only haul intrastate and my MCP is registered that way. Additionally, when I last renewed my license, there was a question as to whether I hauled inter or intra. I marked the latter and now it’s noted on my license.
All that being said, this is not a commercial load (I believe) since it is my own belongings. Anyone have an idea of signage I should have on my truck or paperwork work I would need to avoid problems as I drive through?

Reactions: xmudman

JHC

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great. Am I held to normal hours of service? Would I need a log?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The use of a CMV as a personal conveyance when transporting personal property is officially an "appropriate use" of a CMV while off duty. The NOT FOR HIRE sign really isn't even necessary, but it may help answer some questions if your are intra and not in your home state.

And as Dan noted, standard HoS rules apply. You also need to stop at scale houses (everything over 10,000 pounds, except pickups), and you may have to purchase trip permits in some of the states you travel though. Tho, the NOT FOR HIRE sign may help with that.

Reactions: geo and JHC

JHC

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry to beat this dead horse, but the more I read online for questions I get in my head about this. Since this is a personal move, and technically I guess classed as “off duty“, what are my HOS imitations? 10 on, eight off? I’m trying to gauge how many days it’s going to take to get across 2600 miles.
sorry if I seem obtuse about is probably some very basic stuff. I’ve always been local/short hall and a 26,000 GVW. Under 100 air miles between terminals so this is the first time I’ve had to deal with a log book and some of the other “normal every day stuff“

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
It is the standard rules of hours of service. Just because your using the truck for personal stuff does not mean the hours no longer apply. Oh and make damn sure you do the pre/post trip paperwork....print up a checklist and keep it with the log book.
10 to 12 hours of driving 10 hours off
One 30 minute break per driving shift and put it in the log book. Pretty much any time you stop and get out you need to log it.
Divide your total miles by the normal cruising speed of the truck that should give a roughly amount to drive it. Plan for fueling stops and such too.

Reactions: JHC and Turtle

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Oh and take a notebook and write down the stuff for the log if you get to busy....that way if you do get pulled over you at least show that your keeping track of what you do. Make sure to add the time of each entry in the notebook.

Reactions: JHC

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi

Definitely an interesting thread and something I would have not thought about had I been moving my own personal belongings... ( Sadly, I would have been in the wrong because my assumption would have been doing it for personal use would have caused me to think trucking rules would not apply ).

Just curious, but technically if a person were to rent a U-Haul that was above 10, 000 GVWR and did was an interstate personal move would that still require all the bookkeeping technically? I'm guessing most people that rent a U-Haul never even give it a second thought but this thread made me curious about that and I'm guessing that technically should be done if the U-Haul has a GVWR over 10,000 lbs?

Thanks

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi

Definitely an interesting thread and something I would have not thought about had I been moving my own personal belongings... ( Sadly, I would have been in the wrong because my assumption would have been doing it for personal use would have caused me to think trucking rules would not apply ).

Just curious, but technically if a person were to rent a U-Haul that was above 10, 000 GVWR and did was an interstate personal move would that still require all the bookkeeping technically? I'm guessing most people that rent a U-Haul never even give it a second thought but this thread made me curious about that and I'm guessing that technically should be done if the U-Haul has a GVWR over 10,000 lbs?

Thanks
The short answer to the question is.... It depends.....

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You do not want to be caught doing commercial work in a uhaul with no signs on the door. And you really don't want to be over weight in one either.

bibutery

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
I will hire the same agency at any cost if I ever need to move my life across the ocean again.

bibutery

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
I will hire the same agency at any cost if I ever need to move my life across the ocean again. The service, Movers from NYC to LA - SEKA Moving, on both ends was, in my opinion, the best component. Everything is sorted, labeled, and packed for us in the US. It was truly a lifesaver to have it all unloaded, carried up many stories, and rebuilt again. The movers here spent a day assembling the furniture we transported unassembled from the US (where we had purchased it from Ikea for less money than in Germany). They even promised to hang the light fixtures, provided we went shopping for them while they were there.