How To Log Trip?

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I am Buying a Truck that is in Austin,TX. I live in Michigan, and I won't be signed on with my carrier at that time. How do I drive the truck that far and Log the trip? How do I fill out the log? I have to go and pick it up in about a week from now. Drive Safely.....Butch :) :) :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As long as the truck is properly registered and insured to drive and has a current DOT inspection with paperwork, the logging is not a problem. You are best to just leave the company information blank in the log book. Just keep the bill of sale with you, and if stopped for an inspection it will be all that is necessary to explain why the truck is in empty transit. DOT people understand this.
Regardless, you still have to log and run by the rules no different than if the truck were under lease.

-Weave-

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You don't have to log this trip as driving, but as on duty not driving. The reason for this is that you are not currently a commercial vessel. This is a private vehicle that isn't leased with a carrier. As far as the DOT is concerned, you're on vacation... though you'd want to be truthful about it. ;-)

If you'd like me to look up the section in the book, I'd be glad to.

T-hawk

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Probably best to be honest about it, no matter what. I don't know what sort of plate this truck will initially have for the trip, permanant or temporary, but if it is the proper apportioned tag, the truck will indeed be considered a commercial vehicle at its appropriate GVW, leased or not. Easiest just to log it legal and not take the chance.
-Weave-

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Since the DOT is working on revising the logs , shouldn't there be a new line for " Driving , not on duty " ? This would be especially appropriate for owner operators using their vehicles to get around on days off .

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I have done it both ways. THawk is right though atleast according to one of my carriers. When I showed up they asked why I logged it the way I did. If you are under a Ttemp tag or TA not working you can expealin it away. Why worry just log it and enjoy the ride. You may want to ask that LarryBadger guy. He thinks a lot about log books. :)He has a question on here about them.The Owner who once went by RACEMAN but due to the outcome of the Nextel Cup, am now just 6.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Thanks to all of you for you help. I will Log it legal, and enjoy the trip. Be Happy, Be Safe......Butch :D :D :D

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
I did something similar to this back in November...bought the truck in Minnesota and drove it back to NC. In fact, it was a 99 Volvo (probably very similar to the one you are buying, if I remember correctly from another post). Anyway, I made sure everything was legal before leaving MN. I couldn't get a license plate there (not even a temporary one), but I was able to get a yellow sticker from the DMV to place on the window. The lady who issued the sticker said that she hoped all the states I would pass through accepted that sticker. That worried me a little bit, but I had no choice. The trip went very smoothly though. I went through a few scales on the way home and noboby seemed to have a problem with my sticker and lack of license plate. I honestly don't think it was even noticed by most people. FedEx had already sent me some log books so I used those. I made an entry at the bottom of each sheet that the vehicle had been purchased and was being transported to NC. I also logged all my driving time as it occurred. Good luck on your purchase and the trip home.

Chuck

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
with no lease you are paying state tax,get your lease 1st or ok from company to use there dot number to get out of the state tax,
then you are now on vacation as no signs on truck,you arent commercial vehicle yet