//// How to DEpower a T 444E engine ////

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi All,

Most drivers who are not owner operators are somewhat hard on equipment / trucks.

I have stressed to drivers the need to idle an engine after an initial start for at least 15 seconds to allow oil pressure to build and stabilize and to drive conservatively for the first 5 or so miles until things warm up a bit BUT much to my disappointment many drivers simply hop in, fire up and pull off fairly hard soon as they fire the engine up....THIS is hard on things in general (engine / trans etc...).

Given that, I would like to lessen the power of my T 444E engine.

How could I go about doing that without adversely affecting MPG's and efficiency ?

FWIW then engine is in a 2000 International 4700 Box truck with Allison Auto.

Since this is an electronic engine is there any programming trickery that could be used to FORCE a slow acceleration curve despite drivers abruptly applying throttle rapidly ?

Is there programming that can be done to keep an engine at idle for at least 10 to 15 seconds following an initial start up?

Short of yelling at drivers and threatening firing them if they drive hard, what else can be done (yes, I know you can try to find conservative drivers BUT the guys I have are reliable etc....They just drive too hard).

The simplest thing I thought about doing was putting a block of wood under the accelerator pedal to limit max throttle BUT that still doesn't help the rapid pushing of the pedal to the block of wood itself....I just want more gradual accelerations to help keep the tranny alive.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Screw a wood block to the bottom of the accelerator pedal.

Edit: I should have read the whole post.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Given that, I would like to lessen the power of my T 444E engine.

We may be seeing history in the making.

This may be the first time in the history of the internet, if not the history of the world, that this question has ever been asked.

Reactions: greasytshirt