How to calculate Cost Per Mile?

KarylB

Expert Expediter
I've been reading these posts as much as I can to learn about this industry. Could someone tell me how to calculate my Cost Per Mile? I know it's more than your MPG and includes variable expenses for your van. Right now, I've got 3 weeks experience with all of this and I'm taking every load my dispatcher offers me. Thanks.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would highly recommend you visit www.ooida.com for information.
They explain everything and tell you how to calculate it.
Good luck
Davekc

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Cost per mile is the computation of all your fixed [truck payment, insurance, etc.] And your variable expenses, [repairs, maintenance, etc.] It takes time ot compile your cost and then analyze your expenses. Your accountant can help you create a written program. Hope this helps. Drive safe and be profitable!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have MS Office with Excel I have a spread sheet that you can use. It has months across and revenue and cost going down. Each month you can fill in the cost, revenue and it will tell you how much went to the bottom line. Then based on your actual numbers for prior months, you can forecast your revenue, cost and operating income....by month. It works really well and helps you see where your money is going, and that leads to reduced cost in some controlable lines. I am working on adding cost per mile, operating income per mile all based on dollar and percentage amounts. I am also working on one that will help with more than one truck. Some have fleets and you can use this to see where all of them are and then roll the information to a total sheet to see operating income (gain or loss),
Let me know if you want it....it's free....and should be ready in a few days....

You're not dead, you're electroencephalographically challenged.

Steady

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When figuring your cost per mile remember to have three figures.
The first is what it costs to move your truck any distance
The second is that number with what your given wage is. (What are you paying yourself)
And the third is your business profit. Why have a truck (which is a business) and not come away with a return?
Davekc

KarylB

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the info. I had a general idea, but I needed help with the specifics. I've downloaded the spreadsheet from the OOIDA page and will definately bring it up with my acct. next meeting.

I was reading in another thread that expediting is like playing chess. I think I like that analogy so far.... sooooooo much to learn about all of this.

Thanks again.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just when you think you have most of it down, it will all change.
Keeps it from becoming boring
Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have nothing to add to the advice given here but want to say I LOVE your tag line (signature)! "If it isn't fun, it isn't worth it." Outstanding point of view!