How start courier business?

Therion

Active Expediter
What is the best way to advertise a new courier business? I know some customers who would need my services but I don't want to approach them due to a non-compete clause from the company I used to be signed on with.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the best way to advertise a new courier business? I know some customers who would need my services but I don't want to approach them do to a non-compete clause from the company I used to be signed on with.
Nice legal quandry.....would you be bound by the non compete or back selling contracts once you no longer represent the carrier any longer and are now a single entity....

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Kind of an insider trading deal.
If I can seperate from you on Friday and steal your business next week that'd be a pretty weak non-compete clause.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How about the moral issue of trying to skirt the non-compete clause ?
Screw my old company....this could be good for ME !!

Reactions: CintVan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not to sidetrack the thread, but is there really anymore morality north of the border ?

(This made sense before OVM deleted his post about the lack of American Morals.
It was obviously in jest.
Then edited to speak of a former employer who he knows will be grumpy later after another Lion's loss.)

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know some customers who would need my services but I don't want to approach them due to a non-compete clause from the company I used to be signed on with.

If you know somebody with reading comprehension skills, have them read the above sentence and explain it to you.

Reactions: RoadTime and xiggi

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Uh ?
Am I missing something ?
Why would he be worried about a non-compete clause unless he knew he was trying to violate it ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OVM, why wasn't your post on track ?
It was a direct reply to my comment.
Me asking you about comparing morals between the two countries , I thought might be a detour off topic.

Therion

Active Expediter
If you know somebody with reading comprehension skills, have them read the above sentence and explain it to you.

Since you took the initiative to question and attack my ethics, let me clarify. If I walked into these businesses face to face they probably would give me work just from knowing me. However, I am not like that. I was simply asking about ideas on how to advertise a new service. The customers of my old company are established clients and probably would not bother with a new unkown start-up. Even in the unlikely event they would contact me I'd decline the work due to the clause.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talking morals....
Wouldn't it be fair to show edits. The before and after .
The first post was edited soon after the second post. There's no way to tell if the original statements were dramatically changed.
And in the past, weren't deleted posts more obvious ?
If OVM had
EDIT : If OVM hadn't
END EDIT
posted that he had deleted his post who would know ? This lets an experienced poster do a drive by and hide the evidence if he wants.

This site is getting as bad as the Internet !

Last edited:

Therion

Active Expediter
Talking morals....
Wouldn't it be fair to show edits. The before and after .
The first post was edited soon after the second post. There's no way to tell if the original statements were dramatically changed.
And in the past, weren't deleted posts more obvious ?
If OVM had posted that he had deleted his post who would know ? This lets an experienced poster do a drive by and hide the evidence if he wants.

This site is getting as bad as the Internet !

If you're referring to my original post the only thing I edited is a typo. Besides, what are you? The forum police?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe OVM's post shows that people smarter than me understood your first post to show you that you wanted to circumvent the NC clause.
I questioned your ethics, without a personal attack.
I believe your questioning my reading comprehension was the personal attack leveled here.
Not wanting to lower my self to your level, I'll step aside.
It's football time anyway.

expfact1

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
How long is the non-compete clause for? Just an fyi, those things are usually pretty much nothing more than a legal scare tactic. Not telling you to just disregard it or anything, but noncompetes and NDA's are nothing more than legal scare tactics. It's just there for a bigger company to try and bleed someone else dry through court costs.

But to your answer, short term you should really just cold call and do some walk ins. It's not fun at all, but there's really no other way so soon. A bit longer term, I'd look into establishing a bit of a web presence. The courier companies around me have weak websites, and it would be easy to overcome their spots in the google search. Reviews are very important for this. Try to get any customer of your to leave you a review.

Reactions: Therion and Moot

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
do like a friend has done the company is in his wife's name and she does all sales, and dispatching, and company is in her name, he is just a driver