How often should I replace engine air filter for Ford Transit 350?

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
How often should I replace engine air filter for a Ford Transit 350? I'm always asked if I want to change it when I get an oil change, and I never know if its really necessary or if they are just trying to squeeze cash out of me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How often should I replace engine air filter for a Ford Transit 350? I'm always asked if I want to change it when I get an oil change, and I never know if its really necessary or if they are just trying to squeeze cash out of me.
I change the air filter on my Transit about every 80,000 miles. Replacing it every oil change is excessive. An air filter actually gets more efficient with age, up to a point. My last two Chevys I also did the 80,000 mile replacement. Both had an air restriction indicator but I never let it get into the "replace zone". I also change the oil every 6,000 to 7,000 miles, before I ever get the "Change Oil" message.

What year is your Transit. There were issue on the 2015s and 2016s with water getting into the air filter box. Visually inspect your air filter for water stains.

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
I change the air filter on my Transit about every 80,000 miles. Replacing it every oil change is excessive. An air filter actually gets more efficient with age, up to a point. My last two Chevys I also did the 80,000 mile replacement. Both had an air restriction indicator but I never let it get into the "replace zone". I also change the oil every 6,000 to 7,000 miles, before I ever get the "Change Oil" message.

What year is your Transit. There were issue on the 2015s and 2016s with water getting into the air filter box. Visually inspect your air filter for water stains.
Mine is a 2020

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I had a Chevy 3500 with the 6.2L engine I changed the engine air filter at ~60k miles and would have again but traded it in at ~123k miles. The oil change guy always tried to sell me on the idea of replacing it every time he changed the oil but no matter how much wheedling there was I'd look in the mirror and say, No, Leo, not this time and that's final.

Reactions: muttly and Turtle