How New HOS Rules Affect Team Ops??

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
I have been getting some good info from everybody here lately. I wanted to know how you log now with teams. My wife and i are returning to expediting as a D unit in June and wanted to know.

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
When ever I run team, I set hours for the truck. Normally 7pm-7am, then the opposite driver works 7am-7pm. You will always be able to log 1 hour break during your 12hr shift. Such as loading, unloading, fueling, bathroom breaks, ect..

Even if not on a load, I try to stay on the same pattern because you never know when you might get a load.. Husband and wife teams are also easiest this way, because there is no argument about who is doing more work, then money all goes to the same place..

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in theory thats a good approach to the new hos,but as soon as you get stuck at a loading dock for 4 or 5 hrs,you can run out of your 14hrs before your partner gets their ten hour off

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You'll never have a problem with your log or your hours as a team, either the 11 driving hours or 14 on duty hours, as long as you are on a 12 hour shift. My team operates on 12-12 shifts. That way they each have only 1 segment per calendar day and their hours and miles for the day are easy to figure since they switch at midnight. It doesn't matter if one of them sits at the dock for 9 hours so long as they switch at 12 noon or midnight. Driver A works midnight to noon and B from noon to midnight. If they get dispatched at 0700 to d/h 83 miles and p/u at 1130 then A does the pretrip, drives to the shipper, and provided they are issued a dock before noon gets the truck parked at the dock. At noon A goes off duty and B does a pretrip and takes over. If they sit at the dock 9 hours then B pulls away and starts driving at 2100. B drives till 2359 and they stop and switch for the next 12-12 shift.

If they had been loaded immediately then B would have pulled away from the dock and begun line 3 at 1215. Somewhere before 2359 they'd have stopped and B would have fueled the truck using lines 4 and 1. Somewhere else they'd have stopped for the facilities. Those combined would have used 45 minutes so B would have 11 hours on line 3 and 1 hour on lines 4 or 1. The 12 hour shift takes care of logging legal and eliminates any possible confusion compared to trying to log 10/10.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
leo
thats great,but,i bet you the teams arent getting the rest they need,I know how we are,we stay awake ten,suppose to sleep ten,but you never get the ten asleep,and its almost impossible to sleep ten if truck in motion across lets say I 10 in La

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know that they follow that schedule exactly in the real world, but if it's followed on paper the paper log will never have an hours violation. I'm positive there are plenty of teams out there still running the 5/5/5/5 schedule but showing 10/10 on paper. The ATA, supposedly, has seen how foolish the current system is and is now also working to get sensible changes in. I just wanted to illustrate one option for newbies that works on paper and keeps the paper free of hours violations.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also use the 12 hour schedule 2:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. We have been doing this for a long time and have had really good results. We know every day what our schedule is and when we get a load we know exactly whose turn it is to drive. We both get sleep during the night which helps us. All of the activity in the day does not keep one of us from not sleeping. It does also help that Bob is a night owl and I am a morning person.

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Leo for the info, I really like 12/12 deal. It seems to make everything less confusing. Driving in the bus industry we're still on the old 10 hr. max drive time. Looks like someday I'll have to get used to that extra hour. Tom

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The 12 and 12 also is very easy to figure on your logs books less room for violations.

Steve you know as well as I do you do what you have to do. As you can see we have a dog so we get very few DDPS loads.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
We run team tractor with Panther and we never have a problem with the HoS or getting rest. We do 10 hour shifts....does not matter what you do in that 10 hours at 10 hours next person takes over.

-charlotte