How much resale value does a used Espar have?

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
I'm thinking of getting an Espar for my van, but I'm also thinking that I may not be in the expediting industry for that much longer. I'm wondering if I was to buy an Espar, use it for a months and then quit expediting, how much of my money could I get back by selling the used Espar?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have no data or anything, just off the cuff, but I'd think half of what you paid for it possibly. Depending on how much it was used that plus the savings might equal what you paid and with less idling hours your van resale should be some higher as well I'd think. Now we'll wait for those in the know to inform us both.

Reactions: Fisherman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would guess probably half, as well.

I did the math and the Espar pays for itself in one winter. But that's only in fuel and oil usage not used by the vehicle's engine. Nor does it include cost saved in reduced engine wear, which is kind of hard to quantify, but whatever it is only adds to the amount saved.

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
I would guess probably half, as well.

I did the math and the Espar pays for itself in one winter. But that's only in fuel and oil usage not used by the vehicle's engine. Nor does it include cost saved in reduced engine wear, which is kind of hard to quantify, but whatever it is only adds to the amount saved.
Would you be able to break down those numbers?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Would you be able to break down those numbers?
The, but I don't wanna. I posted them here in the forums many years ago. The easiest way to figure it out compare how many gallons of fuel does your vehicle engine burn in an hour. For most it's about one gallon per hour, some are less, maybe half a gallon in an hour, to how many hours it takes the Espar to burn through one gallon (12-15 hours). Then the number of hours you idle all winter times the number of gallons per hour, times the price of fuel.
Compared that to how many gallons of fuel an Espar burns in the same number of hours (about 2 gallons per day it on runs all the time).

Compare and cost out the gallons used by both idling and the Espar, and it's eye popping.