How much for repairs?

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I'm trying to buy a 2003 T300 kenworth that has 550,000 miles on it. I'm getting it for 44k so I figure it's a good deal. I want to have the whole thing redone and fluids changed, brakes, etc. What would be a good estimate of the cost? I planed for $5,000 but I can go upto 10k. Do I need more? What should I focus on when I have in the shop? Any problems those are knowen for? Thanks.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I've been told by many O/O’s have dyno($250) and oil analysis ($16) done prior to sale.

I don’t understand why you would be willing to use $5,000 to $10,000 of your monies for repairs after spending $44,000 for a truck?

There are plenty of trucks in the $20,000+ range that if bought properly wouldn’t need $5,000 in repairs. It would also cut your payment by half leaving more for you.

Curious does T300 have tag axle, liftgate, generator and what size box?

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
This is right here:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi...esults_format=long&db_id=2473&query=retrieval

Only if bank would hurry up before someone else buys it. I figured that the tag and lift gate are about 20k new, wg equipment is another 1k - 2k, generator is 8k new so I figured it was a good deal even if I had to put in 5-10k, hey might not even need anything I just want to make sure I take care of things from the getgo so I'm not sitting in the middle of no where getting something fixed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK here is what I did;

Dyno - I been told the engine should have 75% of it's rated power to be acceptable but I think with 300K, it should be around 90%. Also the blowby is important.

ECM dump - this tell me the hours and other info, like the firmware version for the ecm. if the hours are off, ask why - mine were within 8 hours.

VIS Check - this is a physical check of the brakes, suspension and other items - worth the trouble and expense.

I also had the dealer pull up any records they had on repairs, recalls and anything else, ditto for the engine - even though I had to go to Ocala for that info.

Had the dealer look the truck over after I bought it because the all the info I got from the three checks told me most of what was wrong.

I got one quick oil anaylis but nothing was wrong so I have another one going to blackstone when I get home.

Also I didn't but the first truck I saw, I took my time and looked. The reason I bought this truck was to make sure it was accepted into the fleet and because the engie did 95% on the dyno. I had a chance to buy a 94" sleeper with the same equipment but the engine didn't pass the ECM dump.

oh one last thing, if the owner/dealer does not let you take the time to do these things, walk away, don't waste you time with them - there are hundreds of trucks out there.