How many miles on your Promaster

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
5 WEEKS BROKEN
one year ago today the van was brand new and we went to Cleveland OH. Today the van has been at the shop for 5 weeks now. The transmission has broken for the 2nd time. The shop has put the van back together, but it is still throwing codes and jumping out of gear. I have lost all confidence in this van on being able to earn a living with it.
5 WEEKS BROKEN STILL
the transmission broke at 59,000 miles back in December and was patched up to satisfy warranty requirements. Then it broke again at 116,000 miles (another 59k). this time gears were broken and all; the shop has put the van back together but it is still throwing codes and jumping out of gear. The tech team from Ram USA has given up on finding a solution. I was informed Thursday that a tech team from Italy is going to offer their help and insight. I have zero confidence in a real solution that can be found so that this van will be trouble free to earn a living.
5 WEEKS BROKEN and now I am BROKE TOO

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mines gas, I could write a book on the transmission problems I've had. 190,000 miles the death rattle at start is getting worse. Stills runs good, mpg 20+ but it sure does rattle on start up. Went to heavier oil and that seems to have stopped it for the most part. When I hear it I change the oil. Sometimes it's really early sometimes not. Just did ball joints at 187.000 fairly easy job. Did the trans oil this time myself with filter. Not bad either, it's checking the level that leaves something to be desired. Seems 5 qts plus 300ml does it just about right. I stayed away from the diesel because of the transmission and this transmission bit me good. I found out one thing that really ticked me off. Every part number from the headlights to the tail lights on the 1500, 2500 and 3500 are exactly the same. Bearings, trans, springs, brakes, ball joints all steering components, engine virtually every part is the same so whats heavy duty on the 3500? The rear wheel bearings are the same part number for the Dodge avenger! a car!!!

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
On Friday 29 July the dealer believed the van was repaired. After much pleading with FCA they covered the work. Initially they offered to only pay for parts and wanted me to pay for labor. A quick rundown of what was done: my transmission was rebuilt including a new reverse gear and new synchronisers. The trans was now working but still jumping out of gear. The dealer blamed the computor and replaced that unit. I drove it Saturday about 1300 miles. The transmission was going into fault ( more like the clutch was pushed in ) than jumping out of gear. This fault is not requiring a restart as before; just shift to neutral and back into gear. This is happening when i am decelerating for traffic or an exit. I can duplicate this fault by leaving van in D with parking brake applied; after a few moments the D flashes, a alarm chimes with a message that says shift to neutral. This is the same thing that happens at speed ( 6 times on my trip ). The van is back at the dealer. No word from FCA or dealer as of yet.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have not been offered a buyback or replacement from FCA. I bought the diesel because I drive over 10k miles a month and just did not think the gas powered van would still be running after all the payments are made. Also the only guy I knew that had a gas van gets about 17 mpg. I'm getting 23.5 mpg; that fuel mpg difference pays my note.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
UPDATE, my van continued to jump out of 6th gear. every dealer i took it to said they could not duplicate my issue. i even took a service manager for a ride; it jumped out of gear 2 times in our short ride. he told me yes you have a problem but i dont know how to fix it, take it somewhere else. well it jumped out of gear again but would not go back into gear this time. i tried a restart but i got no restart no nothing. i had it towed to a (different)dealer, it has been there over 5 weeks. they have replaced the trans computer again but still have not gotten it to run. i hope to hear from them this week. i am in a rental ford transit with a 3.7 gas motor, it is not comfortable as my promaster and the gas mileage is killing my bottom line (16-18 mpg) just about 400 miles on a tankful

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had to pull over at least 8-10 times from Texarkana to Laredo for the same thing, jumping out of gear. Mine has 105,000 on it. I took it to Laredo Dodge after my drop on Tuesday morning. They told me they could not get me in until next Monday. Stayed there, because I didn't want to try driving to San Antonio. They had my van for two days then let me know they could not find anything wrong, and there were no codes showing up, but still felt they needed to charge me $160 for one hour of service. Got a load the next day to Ohio, and the van started going out of gear about 5 hours from drop. Made my delivery and I passed an Autozone, so I took it there and had them check the computer. Two codes came up involving the transmission. I was upset and headed home. I have been broke down for over three months this past year. This is no way to make money, plus taking your life in jeapordy every time you have to coast off the road, shut it off, then hope it starts back up. I am done dealing with these dealerships that can't fix anything, but will make you wait weeks to tell you nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charity's Van

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks to both of you for posting the "outcomes" I'm sorry it wasn't better, I've been following this. And thank you for sharing, this is the van I've narrowed down my replacement of my sprinter to (mostly due to mpg)

Please post when a fix is found, or the lawsuit succeeds, I don't think your vans will be the only ones to fall victim to the transmission issue

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sorry, but I also own the 2014 deisel. I forgot to mention that in the other post.
On another note. I am going to have a very nice expediter's package for sale, including a great foldup bed, vents for side windows, oil, oil filters, air filters, Garmin GPS, tie down straps, etc. Only problem is I live in Florida near Ocala. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I can send you pics.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bigdogg, does your van require a restart to go back in gear, mine did till it broke gears; after rebuild trans and new computer it would jump out of 6th gear but shifting to N or M it would go back into gear. this went on for about 8k miles while 2 different dealers gave me the same story as you. they could not duplicate my issue or find any codes. this last time it happened it would not go into gear and when i tried a restart it did nothing no start no nothing. that was in Sept. it has been at a dealer since. Im in a rental ford transit 250 gas, it is not comfortable and mileage is terrible. Not sure what ill do when i get mine back, trading for a new one is expensive but the Promaster is still my choice of a van.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe I am st the starting point with my van. Right now, I can get rolling with a restart, but I do not have the time, money, or patience to deal with this, especially if I am headed down the road you are on. Nobody should have to deal with all these issues with a new vehicle. I hate the fact that you might have to drive hundreds of miles just to find a dealer that will talk to you. If you are not getting codes, stop by an Autozone and they will run you one. I will get the codes and print them on here tomorrow.

Reactions: Charity's Van

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bigdogg, does your van require a restart to go back in gear, mine did till it broke gears; after rebuild trans and new computer it would jump out of 6th gear but shifting to N or M it would go back into gear. this went on for about 8k miles while 2 different dealers gave me the same story as you. they could not duplicate my issue or find any codes. this last time it happened it would not go into gear and when i tried a restart it did nothing no start no nothing. that was in Sept. it has been at a dealer since. Im in a rental ford transit 250 gas, it is not comfortable and mileage is terrible. Not sure what ill do when i get mine back, trading for a new one is expensive but the Promaster is still my choice of a van.
Fool me once..

Reactions: RoadTime

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
"xiggi,.[/QUOTE]
Fool me once..[/QUOTE]

the promaster and sprinter are the only 2 that have a large enough cab for me or my wife to get in. we are in a rental ford but the driver area dont fit for us. sprinter 36k warranty is barely 3 months for us. the promaster is 100k warranty, about 9 or 10 months. buying a used one is hard to finance. plus i really like the front wheel drive; it worked well last winter

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They both, pm and sprinter have their evils for sure. I think the pm and transit are both limited on cab space

The sprinter is 100,000 engine, emissions and outer body. 36,000 for the basic stuff just to clarify.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xiggi, the sprinter has the largest space for sure. ill have to recheck with the dealer on the warranty, i got a quote about 3 weeks ago and said something about the 3/36 warranty, the dealer never said the powertrain is 100k. that is the same as promaster if true. i may not be able to trade in for either and have to keep what i got. the profit margins of this business are so tight that the gas powered one cost me too much to operate. i found that out driving this rental.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
my van is still at a dealer in birmingham, they say it needs transmission replaced but they wont do it under warranty because that dont pay them enough. I owe them $$1847 for parts and labor for things that did not solve the problem. The dealer in Southaven that repaired the transmission last said they would replace it under warranty if i get it to them soon. It has been out of service this time since September.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What we need is a real truck company to compete here. The International designed 7.3 I had went over a million miles with oil and filter changes and 1 hpop hose at 800,000 also cracked steel fuel lines that I broke and inserted some rubber hose between. The ford transmission was also fine with only 3 oil changes, they got that right

Why not design a small commercial engine / transmission option to sell to the big 3? I WOULD buy a brand new diesel designed for real commercial use (meaning minimum 500,000 miles trans and engine, ALL components, heavy use) right now I'm flip flopping between buying at the lowest depreciation several years old and saving a huge maintenance fund, or buying a cheap gasser and making life simple.

This story always reminds me that they just don't back anything anymore.

Reactions: hdxpedx

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What we need is a real truck company to compete here. The International designed 7.3 I had went over a million miles with oil and filter changes and 1 hpop hose at 800,000 also cracked steel fuel lines that I broke and inserted some rubber hose between. The ford transmission was also fine with only 3 oil changes, they got that right

Why not design a small commercial engine / transmission option to sell to the big 3? I WOULD buy a brand new diesel designed for real commercial use (meaning minimum 500,000 miles trans and engine, ALL components, heavy use) right now I'm flip flopping between buying at the lowest depreciation several years old and saving a huge maintenance fund, or buying a cheap gasser and making life simple.

This story always reminds me that they just don't back anything anymore.
Today's diesel engines are fine,and long lasting with proper maintenance. The downfall is the emissions systems. This seems even to apply to big trucks.

Reactions: jcochristoph