How many miles on your Promaster

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have 116,000 miles on my 2014 Diesel Promaster. I have had transmission issues at 58,000 miles and now again at 116,000 (58k again). I'm curious if there are any drivers/owners that have more miles on their diesel and if so what problems have you encountered. I bought my van new in July of 2015 as a left over 14 model.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have 97,500 or so on my 2016 Gas Promaster. Bought in October of 2015. So far have only had some minor issues that were corrected. And I have replaced 4 headlight bulbs...damn good at doing so now too.. 15 mins to do them.

Reactions: Opel2010 and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And I have replaced 4 headlight bulbs...damn good at doing so now too.. 15 mins to do them.
I hadn't really looked into it, cause I don't have a Promaster, but I read this and wondered what the deal was. Looked up a couple of youtube videos on it and... Holy crap!

BXDIVER

Expert Expediter
Driver
My '14 gasser has 180000 with no major issues. I have a friend with 300000 on his again no problems. Only use penzoil platnium oil for engine and always serviced my transmission on time. Still averaging 20 mpg.

Reactions: Turtle

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I too have been through several headlights, I found that removing the whole headlight assembly gives better access to the bulb. Also putting the bulb in first, then the wire is best. Doing it that way ensures the bulb is not pointed crooked causing one headlight to be brighter than the other one. When I see trucks with one side brighter, I am almost sure that the replacement bulb was not installed correctly and is pointing badly in the headlight housing.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The purpose of my question about mileage on a diesel is to learn if my transmission problems are isolated to my van or a pattern of issues on all diesel vans. My issues are jumping out of gear and/or not going into gear. This can create scary situations when the van jumps out of gear and will not go back into gear without a restart. The brake pedal must be pushed to make the van start, therefore a quick off then on will not work. I met 1 other van owner that had 100,000 on his diesel. He had transmission issues too, his van would not come out of gear. It took 3 1/2 months at the dealership to repair his van. He had the transmission, clutch system, and the computer replaced before his van worked.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks schwanman, I am on that forum also. I have not found anyone with over 100k miles on a diesel there either. I'm trying here since most expediters run lots of miles

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you haven't done it. May be try searching under Fiat Ducato forums. There are plenty of discussions about the Automate-Robotised trans issues or something like that. If that is the type of trans you have.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
2 reasons I stayed away from the diesel was the automated manual transmission and the def/dpf issues.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought my new 2014 deisel one year ago also. I have just over 60,000 miles because I have been broke down so much. A module on my first run, then it happened again on my third run, which they replaced it that time. Emergency brake blew up, three weeks for that repair and had to fight them because they blamed me for driving with the brake on. Next thing to go was my engine in Utah in the mountains. No lights went off and temp gauge stayed normal, engine lost power and siezed up when I stopped. Spent a month in hotel waiting for that. Two weeks later having major wobble issues with front end. Took to dealer in Laredo and was told it was bad back tires. Went down the street to Discount tire and was told tires were fine, but needec a new rear rim due to being bent. Bought new rim, dod not fix problem, so took van to Firestone in Alabama. They told me all four motor mounts were broke, so I headed hone to Florida to my dealer. My dealer found both front axles were shot and a ball joint was done. All fixed and running great, well except for headlight going on my way to El Paso. Now off for the 4th trying to figure out why my siphon hose is not feeding my Honda generator from my 5 gal can. One thing after another, but the van is running well now. I run strickly in manual mode and have not had any problems with that. I named my van Christine, if you get me.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't say or think anything negative when I'm driving her. I just rub the dashboard and tell her how much I love her. By the way, my generator is pulling from the reserve tank. My life is good right now. Be back out there next Friday.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 200K had to change the (gas) engine. But I don't blame the manufacturer, it was driven by a horrible guy... I also changed the driver... and lots of bulbs (headlights, markers)

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
yesterday makes 5 weeks my promaster has been at the shop. They replaced the broken gears in the transmission and put the van back together last week. The van is still throwing codes and jumping out of gear. The star team from the USA has given up on finding a solution. I was informed thursday that a team from Italy is offering their advice. I dont know if anyone will be able to correct the problem. I have lost confidence that this van can earn a living and after 5 weeks I'm kinda broke.