Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm gonna switch to Linux as soon as they get it finished. :+

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I keep threatening to get it and try it out but never do. In a prior lifetime I was master console operator of an IBM 3090 system and learned a fair amount of Unix I've managed to forget since then. One of these days I may take an old radio and convert it or maybe even make it a dual boot system and maybe really learn something.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
They have somewhere a version of linux that runs on the 3090. There were a few 3090s popping up on eBay every once in a while. be interesting to see one in a truck.

Didn't the 3090 use VMS?

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I was planning on using Linux or some other open source program. But with there being pretty much no programs for it i'm just going to deal with windows...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I was planning on using Linux or some other open source
>program. But with there being pretty much no programs for it
>i'm just going to deal with windows...

Other than a deceint mapping/gps program, I have yet to see an application that is not avalible fr Linux.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I recall the setup we ran was a VMS and Unix system that ran about 8 virtual machines in a software development environment. It might be interesting to have a 3090 in a truck but would use up about half the cargo box I think.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>and what distro do you use?

I have Fedora installed on a few machines, but have not made the swtich to go Windowless yet.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Our art department here has always been in the mac environment. The rest of us die hard windows people are slowly but surely moving to the mac system.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

37% of Americans agree that while they would hate being British, they wouldn't mind having a British accent.

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

I hate the country, all those animals walking around un-cooked.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But....

Lawrence.....

Since Apple has moved to a Linux based OS for Mac....

And.....

Since Apple is now using Intel based processors instead of Motorola based processors.....

What is the difference between a Mac using Mac OS X and an Intel runing Linux?

It is interesting that you mention the converstion, I have seen Mac software ported over to Linux with some help. A few things like MS Office for Mac and a bunch of Adobe products makes me wonder if Apple shot itself in the foot with the Linux core?

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Got Linux on my desktop at home. Currently using Mandrake 8 (2 cd ver). It is loaded, X-windows, mail server, office apps etc.

I'm not overly knowledgable yet but i'm learning. Have been experimenting.

I was thinking of setting up another server and putting Linux on it and having a large mail area. give the kids somewhere to use that they have easy access and can be the moderators. Give them a web server for their own use.

What I like about Linux is the ability to utilize a systems resources better than windows does. RAM is all available and you can really make an old system fly. I tried it on a 350mhz system and it was quite fast. If we had this OS years ago we could really have done without these new fast machines as Linux is quite fast. We would not need 1GB of RAM etc. Think how inexpensive systems would be!

If you don't need all the extras it utilizes so little space as well.

Rob Fis

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Mike,
isn't there a port of iTunes to linux somewhere seeing that Mac OS is really a linux OS?