how many e-trac straps

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
do most of you carry in your truck,i am getting kind of close to signing on and would like any info on extra equipment that i may need to get the job done.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You Didn't say what Kind of Truck you have so this is for a "B" Unit.I carry 4 Straps and 3 Shore Boards (6 Brackets) Brackets go in E-Track and Shore Boards go across to block Lighter Skids from Sliding up or back I carry a 12Foot Chain and a Pallet Puller. I have 3 Load Locks that fit a Van.And I use them all often. Good Luck.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FECC Requires...

Four E-Trac ratcheting straps
Four load bars
Four four-foot pieces of 2x4
Hammer and nails

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i started out in c unit i had 4 bars and 4 straps
and as i went along saw a need for more straps and other item's that would make life a bit easier
had 2 etrack bars at the front of the box to protect from some of those forklift driver who wanted to run in to back of the box
and they were about 4 inch's from the front of the box so they also held 2x4 to had about 8 to 12 straps to and a pallet jacket to
it also help with getting or picking the place to transfer aload as in pickup or transfer it to other truck who would take it from you etc
also help out when some one didn't have a pallet jacket and you would make 50 for them using your jack
what was your rate in navy me ret skc sw navy cargo handler

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
load bars, is there a standard length.also i have a hand dolly at home will that help.i was a BTCS(SW) spent most of my time on the west coast(ad-14)(ff-1041)(ff-1077)(cv-64)(ff-1066).also i drove a m2 the other day with the auto shift man what will they think of next.the computer will clutch the thing and put it in gear for you,unbelievible.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got a 22' box with 3 rows and have 3 bars and 4 straps that came with the truck. In my next truck I'll have 4 rows with at least 6 bars and 8 straps. You can add until you run out of room for cargo. You just need to assess how much is the minimum requirement and decide how much more than that you want. Good luck.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

leymas

Expert Expediter
sorry not to get off subject. but couldn't help myself. GMG2 11yrs (LST1179)(AO179 plank owner)(AOR5) (Special boat Unit20)

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
also can you guy's tell me on average,how many pallets do you carry on a 22 foot cargo box and what is the average weight you run with are you normally grossed,i am sure none you run overloaded.and are there any situations were someone may ask you to run overloaded.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most commonly it's 3 or 4 skids and 6000 pound range. I've been within 500 pounds of max twice. I've never been asked to run overloaded. I did get dispatched once for 8k pounds that turned out to be 8 tons. I got paid cancellation pay since I couldn't carry it.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Even in a straight truck I would advise carrying a pallet puller ( available from grainger ) and some stout chains. You never know what situation you will be going into for delivery. Be prepared for almost anything!!

Best wishes - Scott EW1(SW) 12 years CVN-68, DDG-11, and various other TAD adventures.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have 6 straps, 4 load bars, 6 long 2X4, 6 shorties, pallet jack, 2 wheel dolly, chain, come-along, hammer and lots of nails, and use it all often.

Vernon in C2197 (USN, Ret CWO2 Boatswain, 23 yr 3mo - SSR-481, SS(B)N-616, AS-32 and numerous posts from Iceland to Rota. Spain and some US)

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
Boy, looks like the navy is well represented in the expedit business.Are there any more of you out there let's have a (MUSTER ALL HANDS ON DECK}.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Four very expesive E-track straps, they won't break at the hinges like the cheap O ones I oroginally purcahsed. (they clip right into the E-track the good ones). Load Bars I would not be without 4 6 is better.

Nails and wood. The idea of 4 2x4 4 feet long is Bull S. I have never ever had a need for them. I have several times had a need for a small piece of wood 1x1 one foot long just to secure an item from slidding in the bed.

Two nails two inches nail only 1 inch into the floor keeps anything from moving and can reuse the wood over and over again and since it has a hole in it its that much easier to secure the next load. I acutually use wooden steaks purchased at Home Depot. I finially threw the 2x4 out.

Use on crates,
Items with wheels to secure movement
expenseive equipment
anything that might slide or move

DO NOT USE IN PLACE OF SECUREMENTS @E-track straps and load bars are a must than for extra securement use the wood. (it impresses customers that you take the time to secure there property)

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, 22 foot box... what will you carry, most of the time you won't be holdin much more than 3 to 4 pallets. on occassion you'll have 6 to 8 in there... and in rare cases you'll move a whole truck load. You can put 19 pallets in there double stacked - carefully.
If your still building the box, I'd say 4 rows of E-track on each side. 6 is even better, 'cause when you do have to double stack it won't worry as much when you can strap or set a load bar in at the top. if the box is built, chances are it's got 3 rows on each side.

I'd say a minimum of 15 ratchet style straps. 4 load bars that lock into the E-Track. a 20 oz. hammer and some nails and your set.

Something else that I did not recall seeing anybody add, is a quilt/blanket... carry or get you some moving blankets.
You might have to haul some electronics or a brand new engine from International thats just gotten painted and you'll want to protect it. cover it and then strap that bad boy down like it's your 1st born child.

On one pallet or 2 pallets, I will use 8 straps to secure them, they'll never move on you. and it's always good to put a load bar at the floor level at the front and back of the pallets.

Most of the time, like one of the above posts said, you'll be less than 6K lbs. Just secure that freight, the more straps you have the better off you'll be. Straps are better than load bars (usually) because they flex and you can "wrap" your loads tight into the truck.

Thats my 2 cents.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The number of straps you need depends a lot on your carrier's requirements and the kind of freight you haul and the kind of truck you drive. If you are in a fleet owner's truck, it will likely come pre-equipped with a number of them.

If you tell us what kind of truck you'll drive, your carrier, and your freight-type expectations, folks here can give you a better answer.

F.Y.I., most manufacturers color code their ratchet straps in three lengths, yellow for 12 feet, gray for 16 feet, and blue for 20 feet. Custom made straps are also available.

Another strap feature to note is the length of the short or fixed end. Most are 2 feet or more at the fixed end. That works for big boxes and skids. For small items, a shorter fixed end is desirable. Shorter fixed ends can be custom ordered, but some companies have long waits for those (weeks or months) because the straps are made in China. A U.S. based company can provide faster service.

You asked, so I'll answer but you do not want to use us as an example. We have way-more straps than we need for most loads, but we have never run short of straps in front of a customer either. We also use more straps than are needed to sufficiently secure the load, especially if the customer is watching us load and secure the freight. If two straps will do, we'll use four. Doing so generates positive comments on the spot and positive feedback to our carrier when customer comments are offered. To us ratchet straps have two uses: 1) securing freight. 2) marketing.

We carry 12 yellow, 16 gray and 4 blue, plus 8 custom-made yellow straps with shorter ends.

In your case, it might be best to start with the minimum and grow from there as your loads and needs and budget dictates. Unless you are handling odd-sized and shapped freight on a regular basis or very expensive freight, you will not need anywhere near the number we use.

Examples of such freight include a room full of computer servers and associated equipment, none packed before your arrival; or 47 pieces of hand-made, high-cost, store fixtures, all brand new, not a scratch
on any of them and people watching you load and unload at both ends.

Finally prices for ratchet straps vary greatly by vendor. If you enjoy tossing your money in the street, go to a truck stop and buy your straps there. If not, most trailer shops sell them at a competitive price. You can also order quality straps from New Haven Moving Equipment. Another quality maker of ratchet straps is Kinedyne.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Since the thread has drifted from the original strap question to other equipment too, allow me to offer a free resource. It is the New Haven Moving Equipment catalog. You can order it free on line at: http://www.newhaven-usa.com/

Not only is it a source of quality equipment, it's an education to page through. In it, you'll see the full range of equipment "bed buggers" (moving van drivers, United, Allied, Bekins, etc.) use. Those drivers are experts when it comes to securing freight. Imagine the freight-handling skills you develop moving household goods all the time. The vendor has stores in several cities nationwide.

Another way to pick up freight-handling tips is to spot a moving van in a truck stop with the trailer doors open. It's likely that driver has finished a load (actually a number of households on that run) and is re-organizing his or her gear for the next run. Offer to help the driver fold furniture pads (they have a ton of them!) in return for a tour of his trailer and equipment. I've done it twice and profited from the education.

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
Outstanding info ATEAM i will check your source's and break out the some cash.getting even closer to getting on the road,truck sleeper is installed and on it's way to the cargo box company.That cargo box company is telling me 3 to 5 work day's to install but i have my doubts,because they keep telling me how busy they are and AAsleeper told me they have finished 4 D unit and they have not come to pick them up yet.

Gary and Linda

Expert Expediter
BigBusBob--just a quick question. I've been trying to imagine just how you would use 8 straps to tie down one or two pallets. Kinda seems like just a tad of overkill.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In response to Gary and Linda's question about strapping 2 pallets down with 8 straps... thats specifically in a straight truck... Not a cargo van.

Ok, let me explain...
Cross an X with the straps in the front, and another X with the straps on the back side... provided they're loaded side by side across the width of the truck. When I Cross the pallets with an X with the straps... I would strap them in such a way as to "wrap" it tight. That way it can't move forward or backwards in either direction too much. The other straps are more for security and peace of mind. In rare occasions where a strap does come loose, then I have plenty of back up.
Then... put one across the bottom E-track, and one across the middle E-track - or the next row up from the floor level area. Do that on the front and back.
I will also usually use a load bar at the bottom on the side that has the back doors of the truck. The other load bar is on the other side of the pallets, and usually stays in place to hold pallet jack in place.

Blankets will go around engines from International's plants, and straps will go over the blankets, not the engines themselve. That way the engine is padded from the straps and it's paint is also protected.

I would rather strap with more than I need in the name of safety than to use whats "required" and have it slip or move and possible damage the load itself and/or the truck box.

I do it in the name of Safety... I don't want that load breakin' loose and rolling or going thru the side of the box - anybody who has visited Alumi-Bunk's shop by the Detroiter Truck Stop will most likely have seen where a cargo box has been damaged or trailers have been damaged... most likely due to an improperly secured load... I don't want that happening to me. Many of them are also damaged from low bridges... people have to know how tall they are and realize what they can and can not go under. When it doubt... walk it out.

BBB