Big Truck How long out before home time?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, let’s hope week 2 goes better.
2 issues. The rental company will bill you for a proper repair when you return the truck.
Trying to use the air bnb rooms will likely result in fiurther damages to the truck . If the vehicle gets damaged from being parked where it doesn’t fit, you’ll still pay.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Rags, I think almost every owner on this site would charge back the cost of the tree strike, which probably equals or exceeds the driver’s income for the week.
Most contracts have the driver paying the deductible in an accident.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most contracts have the driver paying the deductible in an accident.
The deductable is one thing, but this nincompoop is going to have the driver cover the entire cost of repair by not paying him at all. My guess he doesn't even have proper insurance.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never even heard of having the driver pay the deductible until I entered Expediting.
Hiring competent drivers and paying them fairly was the way I was raised.
This having the driver pay as you learn is somewhat comical to me at times.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless he went to Leroy’s Barbershop & Truck Rental, the rental company made sure he has proper insurance.
Since the truck didn’t work Monday it must be an excellent broker to line up $5500 for the balance of the week.
Oops. Since he paid $1500 out of the $5500 he gets downgraded to a typical broker.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since it wasn’t the driver’s fault, he’ll probably quit when he gets dinged.
I imagine the shelter has plenty of replacement drivers.
Note: that’s why companies hold back pay. Sometimes drivers do more damage than they earn in a week. You need to have a few weeks of their pay to be made whole.

Trucking ain’t always as easy as it seems.

Reactions: RoadTime

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
" It's not my fault....There was a low branch..."

Wow, really? That's a scary comment from the driver.

Wonder what else won't be his fault?

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

About the only reason to enter the van segment; not too many 10’ overpasses.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless he went to Leroy’s Barbershop & Truck Rental, the rental company made sure he has proper insurance.
That's not necessarily true. I've rented a rental truck thru just about everybody except Penske & have not been been asked for proof of insurance many times.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Then they probably sold it to you.
Or it may be included In non commercial rentals.

Hell,I can’t even rent a car without proof of insurance.
Of course I don’t have that honest looking face that you have.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
" It's not my fault....There was a low branch..."

Wow, really? That's a scary comment from the driver.

Wonder what else won't be his fault?

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Can't say what the future holds buy other famous quotes include:

"Why would h$%# would somebody parked there?"

In response to backing into a parked vehicle at our regular gas station.

" the light was green why didn't they start moving?"

In response to a rear end incident..

Sigh....its gotta get better.

Other than accidents he really a good guy!
:-o

Sadly i had a bridge issue (like in the pic) about 3 weeks ago with a different driver....good help is hard to find. Ug...

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Andy has shown that he is the antithesis of an owner for whom a conscientious driver would want to work, He has suggested that he may not pay a driver after driver caused damage to a truck. (The FMCSA requires payment within 15 days of driver submission of all required paperwork to carrier). He will allow a driver to operate a CMV with a known safety defect. (if the corner of the cargo box is damaged, the right upper required clearance light is most likely damaged and other lights on the circuit may be damaged as well). He has indicated that he would tolerate a driver taking off-duty time in an unauthorized sleeper (front seat). The drivers' paper logs would need to be falsified in order to pass muster. The eLogs are not a concern of the carrier.

Sadly, a MC that has discussed issues in the same manner as Andy will have no trouble attracting the non-CDL driver

Reactions: Ragman

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Terry, I agree with your premise, but don’t understand the falsification of log.
If I go off duty for 10 hours I can sleep in the front seat, on the roof or in a phone booth.
Would I sleep in the front seat ? Only in a rare emergency.
Nor would I want/require any driver working for me to do that.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Stick, I'm calling an audible in the name of common sense on this one. A driver may nap or sleep in a CMV without a sleeper and record off duty if the driver is relieved of all responsibilities for the vehicle. The purpose of requiring 10 hours off-duty after 14 hours on-duty is for the driver to have the ability to get at least 8 hours of restorative sleep. The regulations also do not allow a driver to go on duty if ill or fatigued. It would be not be unreasonable to assume that any DOT officer that came across a driver, in a rest area, to call sleeping on the seat as on-duty if the driver could not demonstrate having slept in a place that at least met the minimum requirements required of a sleeper berth. Repeated on-duty and driving periods followed by seat sleeping will surely create a fatigue situation, even for the immortal, bullet proof young drivers, My log falsification may have been overboard, depending how driver records the time.

Reactions: dalscott

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m sorry but I would not drive for this guy I am not goin to try saving them money by sleeping in the box or in the seat if he wants them to sleep in the truck get a sleeper I am not putting my safety or anyone else’s at risk An then saying he might not pay the guy I don’t care if he was joking that is not funny