How is the expediting business?

rotcaal

Active Expediter
Former Panther driver, straight trucks and cargo, havent been with them for about 2 years. I would like to start again, not necessarily any specific company in mine, just want to drive. What should I be aware of these days?

rotcaal

Active Expediter
Former Panther driver, straight trucks and cargo, havent been with them for about 2 years. I would like to start again, not necessarily any specific company in mine, just want to drive. What should I be aware of these days?

Oh come on now, ive seen a couple dozen visitors to my post and no replies. Surely you have something to say and can take one minute to post a reply :)

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Sometimes it is busy and sometimes it is slow. Not much has changed in the last 2 years.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the last two years, CSA has developed further and carriers are paying attention. Violations for inoperative lights, paperwork errors and such that were not regarded as serious before are taken more seriously now. Violations -- all of them -- count in ways they did not before. It would be wise to brush up on CSA and learn exactly how you stand in this new regulatory regimen.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say an even bigger cash reserve than what was needed 2 years ago .. A stable piece of mind ,,, meaning the ability to keep a cool head when something gets under your skin , to be able to talk yourself back down from boiling point ... A sence of humor is needed ,,, because somestuff you see out on the road all you can do is laugh and shake your head... And what i think is most important is a FIRM bottom line for operation, know all your costs upfront and what you need per mile to make a good profit and don't be afraid to turn down a low paying load ..

rotcaal

Active Expediter
Unless you are looking to drive a ST or TT, dont look to drive for an owner, buy your own truck....

where did u find that bad route road sign? lol also why would i want to drive for an owner in a cargo van these days? I really couldnt afford to buy my own, but Im guessing o/o on a cargo van is the way to go from your suggestion.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many people still make cargo vans work but these days you will find some carriers only put on long and tall. Like printers spartan bodies etc. Some shippers request them even though freight will fit in a normal van.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
In my cv when I was out there, I turned down all runs past Dallas, no Ca, NM,and NY. It worked out fine imho. Straighttrucks, now thats a different deal, they go everywhere. So,imho, get out ur marking pen and start at Laredo on I35 and go north to Dallas to Oklahoma thru Lincoln NB,straight up to Fargo to the Canadian border and stay on the eastern side of that line and I was better off doing that imho. Now that side, we all do what we want to do and if you want to see Ca and such, go for it .

rotcaal

Active Expediter
In my cv when I was out there, I turned down all runs past Dallas, no Ca, NM,and NY. It worked out fine imho. Straighttrucks, now thats a different deal, they go everywhere. So,imho, get out ur marking pen and start at Laredo on I35 and go north to Dallas to Oklahoma thru Lincoln NB,straight up to Fargo to the Canadian border and stay on the eastern side of that line and I was better off doing that imho. Now that side, we all do what we want to do and if you want to see Ca and such, go for it .

problem is now, as far as panther goes, not sure if they still do it, but if u turn down loads and your acceptance percentage is lower than another van or truck, you are put behind those. You wont get a load until your the only vehicle if others are higher acceptance percentage.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It's slower, way slower than two years ago. :(